IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

I'm still seeing a faded cart the white turned a burnt yellowish, and if that color was absent it wouldn't be there on the whole label. The Jaleco on the front would be gone too

labels.png.640fcdd980c4b42bf7162933f0fea20c.png

here is a comparison of the two labels side by side from the last pic you posted

Edited by Hybrid
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

Yes it is it also had another cart stacked on top of it blocking the light you notice how it gets lighter as you move down the label

Ah, that makes sense. I stacked the two on top of each other and that does allow light to a certain point on the front label, but the other cart stacked on top would preserve the Orange Jaleco on the front. Just seems crazy it would have burned the text completely off. 

That Mega Man 6 has a chip datecode of 9345.  Well earlier than the US release.  This once again would make sense its a Capcom print, not intended for "US" release but for Chile as they use NTSC as well.  Label was updated as the US/"NINTENDO" distributed print runs look to be 9402-04.

Also my 5 Screw Mike Tyson has orange dots and no product code on the label.

• Like 1

I have a Gotcha non-rev a box available if anyone's interested

And @_Brink_ I have a white bullets MTPO 5 screw too. Don't think it's a refurb but it is curious that there are 3 different kinds of MTPO 5 screws I have seen online. White bullets, orange bullets no code, and orange bullets with code.

Edited by wyansas

I have a few variants. I'll post pictures sometime but I have:

5 screw Defenders of the Crown

5 screw Tiny Toons

5 screw Metal Gear

5 screw Snake's Revenge

5 screw Skate or Die

5 screw Super C

3 screw Gyromite x2

5 screw Star Force

5 screw Jaws

5 screw Alpha Mission

3 screw Donkey Kong

N7 Tecmo Basketball x2

Think that's everything but I'll post updated pictures soon.

21 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

A copy of the ever-elusive Capcom purple label Mega Man 6 popped up on eBay today. Unfortunately the label is in terrible condition. I'm still holding out (but not holding my breath) for a boxed copy. 🤞🤞🤞

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254628125276

More and more of these are showing up on eBay lately.  I snagged the first one I saw last month.  Not including Brink's, there have been at least four in the last couple months, all with different combinations of labels, interestingly.  One with a USA/CAN English/French back label like Brink's, one with a standard USA back label with a 24 two digit embossed code (mine), one with a Playtronic front label, and this one has a purple USA front label and a Playtronic Portuguese back label.

I made a folder of all the Mega Man 6 variants I've seen, it's not a definitive list of how many there are because there are plenty. I know a dude who found a crap ton of them and sold them for 60 dollars a pop at collector conventions, pretty crazy how much they've jumped in value.  

purple variants I've seen.zip

1 hour ago, imabadguy1 said:

I made a folder of all the Mega Man 6 variants I've seen, it's not a definitive list of how many there are because there are plenty. I know a dude who found a crap ton of them and sold them for 60 dollars a pop at collector conventions, pretty crazy how much they've jumped in value.  

purple variants I've seen.zip 12.23 MB · 1 download

Here's the gocollect thread for the "lost purple border image": https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/117547

Unfortunately the picture is no longer there though

• Like 1

Ah with a Playtronics backlabel.  Pretty sure we can say this was not an official US release but a Brazilian one.  Thanks to @ThePhleo and his info.   Also its technically a first print cuz the date code of the chip is 45th week of 1993, along with the other one i've seen.  I was secretly wanting this but IMO since its not a real US release, I can live without it.

• Like 1

I ran through half of the ~1200 manuals I got in this past month and I think I found the earliest "printed print date" so far.

Karate Champ
NES-KC-USA
Circle Seal of Quality
81004 (1988 October 4)

next up after that so far is

Metal Gear
NES-ME-USA
Circle Seal of Quality
81007 (1988 October 7)

Nothing else until the 19th after that, with both Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, and Super Mario Bros. 2.....then on the 20th with Slalom, and the 22nd with Anticipation.

I also seem to have stumbled on a solid date range for the ★ coded manuals.

00322 to 00820 or, 1990 March 22 through 1990 August 20.

There are some notable outliers though, like Dick Tracy (01011), and Lunar Pool (10624, and 11211) but I think in general, 1990 August 20 is a solid "phase out" date since on the same day they also have Dr. Mario, and Super Mario Bros. 3 with no star codes....also, the only manuals I have that are inbetween those dates with NO star codes are just three different variant of Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt (00402, 00419, and 00618)

Finally, I have three manuals so far with no date code, but a ★ on the manual front. Snake Rattle n Roll, Swords & Serpents, and Captain Skyhawk. Captain Skyhawk does have two other variants with a date code and a ★ though (00410, 00710).

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I ran through half of the ~1200 manuals I got in this past month and I think I found the earliest "printed print date" so far.

Karate Champ
NES-KC-USA
Circle Seal of Quality
81004 (1988 October 4)

next up after that so far is

Metal Gear
NES-ME-USA
Circle Seal of Quality
81007 (1988 October 7)

Nothing else until the 19th after that, with both Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt, and Super Mario Bros. 2.....then on the 20th with Slalom, and the 22nd with Anticipation.

I also seem to have stumbled on a solid date range for the ★ coded manuals.

00322 to 00820 or, 1990 March 22 through 1990 August 20.

There are some notable outliers though, like Dick Tracy (01011), and Lunar Pool (10624, and 11211) but I think in general, 1990 August 20 is a solid "phase out" date since on the same day they also have Dr. Mario, and Super Mario Bros. 3 with no star codes....also, the only manuals I have that are inbetween those dates with NO star codes are just three different variant of Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt (00402, 00419, and 00618)

Finally, I have three manuals so far with no date code, but a ★ on the manual front. Snake Rattle n Roll, Swords & Serpents, and Captain Skyhawk. Captain Skyhawk does have two other variants with a date code and a ★ though (00410, 00710).

This is already some awesome data from your project.

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This is already some awesome data from your project.

One of the most surprising finds so far is just how many Super Mario Bros. 2 variants there are! There are 5 major variants, and I'm up to 22 minor variants for SMB2 manuals!

I'm defining major variants as anything that you can see by just looking at the FRONT of the manual. Seal of Quality changes within the manual are not not considered major since they're impossible to document en masse.

NES-MW-USA - No - Logo on front has ™

1. Circle Seal of Quality - No Date
  2. Circle Seal of Quality - 81019
  3. Circle Seal of Quality - 81105
  4. Circle Seal of Quality - 81111
  5. Circle Seal of Quality - 81119
  6. Circle Seal of Quality - 81202
  7. Circle Seal of Quality - 81217
  8. Circle Seal of Quality - 90119
  9. Oval ™ Seal of Quality - 90320
  10. Oval ™ Seal of Quality - 90608
  11. Oval ™ Seal of Quality - 90622
  12. Oval ™ Seal of Quality - 90930

NES-MW-USA - - Logo on front has ®

1. Oval ™ Seal of Quality - 00222
  2. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 00306
  3. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 00306 KY

NES-MW-USA - - Logo on front has no copyright info

1. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 00525
  2. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 00628

NES-MW-USA - - Logo on front has no copyright info

1. Oval ® Seal of Quality - SN 10408
  2. Oval ® Seal of Quality - SN 10606

NES-MW-USA-3 - - Logo on front has Red ®

1. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 30304
  2. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 30402
  3. Oval ® Seal of Quality - 31005
Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, _Brink_ said:

Boards all appear to be the same - I think Im just crazy and they were cheap at the time.  I agree - my kids have changed so much in my life.  It was what started my collecting to begin with when they were babies and I had the time in between feedings and naps.  Now they are busy gremlins.  Yes, the Gaming Expo vid was excellent and spot on. 

You need to offload any of the duplicates let me know

On 7/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

So Donkey Kong is not refurb if it's R or TM right? Just picked up 3 screw TM and figured that would make sense for later releases.

Great question. Does anyone else’s 3 screw Dk have a TM after NES on front? Mine has an R

Edited by Divingninja
  • Like 1