IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

7 hours ago, Divingninja said:

Hey guys, I still have all my stuff from NA.

let me know if you need any pictures.

-3 Wayne Gretzky

3 screw DK,

backward seal of quality Super mario world,

upside down label 3 screw top gun

baseball printing error

5 screw Megaman, punchout, gotchca

konami 5 screw: base wars, bayou billy, metal gear, QBert, rollergames, silent service, tmnt oval seal tm, tmnt oval seal r, tmnt arcade game, Carmen San Diego, skate or die, and a questionable track and field 2

3E718CA5-AB5A-47D1-98B8-15D787E60AFB.jpeg

18ECC211-0A7E-473F-A65B-968513B6DDB8.jpeg

0F2849CE-3B14-44CD-A4F0-1F3FF51AE7C5.jpeg

Still love that printer justification error on the baseball Definitely one of the better ones

Still actively collecting too.  Please let me know if you need additional pics.  Always looking to trade my doubles for other variants.  My recent additions came from Laketown last year and this year by Oldschoolnesguy from Canada.  

Newest Highlights:

Mega Man 6 Capcom label, non -1. 

TMNT 2

Money.jpg

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, _Brink_ said:

Still actively collecting too.  Please let me know if you need additional pics.  Always looking to trade my doubles for other variants.  My recent additions came from Laketown last year and this year by Oldschoolnesguy from Canada.  

Newest Highlights:

TMNT 2

Money.jpg

Nice. All of yours look in great condition too. I am Eying that extra Super C. 🙂

22 hours ago, _Brink_ said:

Newest Highlights:

TMNT 2

Money.jpg

Nice collection!

Can you say where that Mega Man 6 originally came from? Also, would you be kind enough to provide us with a picture of the back of the cart?

21 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Nice collection!

Can you say where that Mega Man 6 originally came from? Also, would you be kind enough to provide us with a picture of the back of the cart?

You're probably aware of the findings that found that these Mega Man 6 purple borders popped up in South America.  I bought this copy on eBay earlier this year for a pretty penny due to condition.  Wasn't able to trace where the seller acquired it. 

IMG_20200606_175134227.jpg

IMG_20200606_174631765.jpg

Edited by _Brink_
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 2:29 AM, Divingninja said:

Nice. All of yours look in great condition too. I am Eying that extra Super C. 🙂

Thanks!  I really to find examples that are in good condition, but sometimes I will take what I can get.  Example, the Kings of the Beach.  Maybe we can work out a trade someday for that Super C, both are in great condition.  Curious if you will post your pics of your:

Tennis, 5 screw, Made in Japan, code, circle seal, r after nes on front.

Baseball, 5 screw, made in Japan, no code, circle seal, tm after nes on front

Spelunker, 5 screw, Made in Japan, code, Circle seal

I have been searching for these for years and Ive never seen any examples.  Its driving me crazy!  I consider you one of the authorities on variants, Captain Variant Diving Ninja, even saved your talk on variants a few years back and have your list.  Its really good stuff and has helped me immensely.  Thanks!

Also some upside down errors - my personal favorite!  Been drooling over the Yoshi on eBay but I cannot justify paying anywhere near close to the ask.  How does everyone feel about getting these graded/preserved along with other variants?  I will never play my variants and want to preserve, authenticate and display, but Im very very torn!

IMG_20200606_175811523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200606_175805807.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

You're probably aware of the findings that found that these Mega Man 6 purple borders popped up in South America.  I bought this copy on eBay earlier this year for a pretty penny due to condition.  Wasn't able to trace where the seller acquired it. 

IMG_20200606_175134227.jpg

IMG_20200606_174631765.jpg

That's a fantastic looking cart. We've had quite a few discussions about the initial Capcom version and I've seen the cart pop up on Mercado Libre on occasion. I'd love to have a CIB copy some day to complete my box variant collection, but I think the likelihood is near zero. It's a shame that every effort to trace the origin of these mysteriously dead ends.

Thanks for the pics!

2 hours ago, _Brink_ said:

Thanks!  I really to find examples that are in good condition, but sometimes I will take what I can get.  Example, the Kings of the Beach.  Maybe we can work out a trade someday for that Super C, both are in great condition.  Curious if you will post your pics of your:

Tennis, 5 screw, Made in Japan, code, circle seal, r after nes on front.

Baseball, 5 screw, made in Japan, no code, circle seal, tm after nes on front

Spelunker, 5 screw, Made in Japan, code, Circle seal

I have been searching for these for years and Ive never seen any examples.  Its driving me crazy!  I consider you one of the authorities on variants, Captain Variant Diving Ninja, even saved your talk on variants a few years back and have your list.  Its really good stuff and has helped me immensely.  Thanks!

If I had to guess, that spelunker doesn’t exist, it just seems like it should. I’ve had it on my variant list for a while but never checked acquired and it off. I could have sworn I saw it at one time but alas never again. 😞

Here are the other two. If I had to guess, they might be refurbished carts perhaps when people sent in a broken Cart shell  or something to a Nintendo repair shop and Perhaps the repair people just Frankenstein’d one together with a 5 screw shell and 3 screw sticker. Just a theory. 🙂

C02ABA46-F2AA-4351-963D-0FD8B559E3B6.jpeg

2 hours ago, _Brink_ said:

I have some Alpha Missions.  Its a sickness...

IMG_20200606_175247154.thumb.jpg.40b78a2a67aade47a6f596f12fb698b6.jpg

Wow! Why so many? Stock piling for trade bait? Or are you doing board revision codes and stuff too? I wish I had more time to look but the kids take up most of my time These days. 🙂

Thanks for watching my variant panel from Let’s Play Gaming Expo. 🙂 And good to know my list from NA are still alive somewhere. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Divingninja said:

Also, not sure if this is worthy of the list @Hybrid but I have a no Jaleco “blank” end Label bases loaded.

A8D6FA3E-F7A8-4F44-AD96-960227A1BD2B.jpeg

Hate to be the one to say but that's been in the light for some time there is still a hint of Jaleco on the top and the white nearby has that burnt look to it

Edited by Hybrid

4 minutes ago, Divingninja said:

Wow! Why so many? Stock piling for trade bait? Or are you doing board revision codes and stuff too? I wish I had more time to look but the kids take up most of my time These days. 🙂

Thanks for watching my variant panel from Let’s Play Gaming Expo. 🙂 And good to know my list from NA are still alive somewhere. 🙂

Boards all appear to be the same - I think Im just crazy and they were cheap at the time.  I agree - my kids have changed so much in my life.  It was what started my collecting to begin with when they were babies and I had the time in between feedings and naps.  Now they are busy gremlins.  Yes, the Gaming Expo vid was excellent and spot on. 

Still interested to hear the opinions on  if some of these rare variants should be Wata graded to verify authenticity and to preserve.  I keep all of my variants in a dark room but Id love to be able to display them in a main area of my house.  (without the fear of my kids destroying or sun damage)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

Hate to be the one to say but that's been in the light for some time there is still a hint of Jaleco on the top and the white nearby has that burnt look to it

Wish you could see it in person. The top doesn’t really look burnt to me and the label feels smooth everywhere. Here are some other pictures with different levels of light. First picture Has a camera flash so I wouldnt take too much stock on that one but I can see how the original picture I pasted does have some shadow. I can’t see JALECO anywhere. Maybe a slight TM? My eyes are not what they used to be though. Interesting enough to keep. Thought maybe a printing error. Stranger things have been found. 🙂

2907F2A8-E1D5-413F-AA82-11B586907999.jpeg

DD5FF3FE-7660-4431-9D4C-E45E7E338E77.jpeg

7C570482-60A1-4189-B4AE-CBE8DB2A0D0A.jpeg

91BE579B-4050-43B1-8637-E4FA656056C1.jpeg

29 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

Still interested to hear the opinions on  if some of these rare variants should be Wata graded to verify authenticity and to preserve.  I keep all of my variants in a dark room but Id love to be able to display them in a main area of my house.  (without the fear of my kids destroying or sun damage)

I like the idea of having “officially” recognized variants, and if there was some pattern or something WATA‘S level of experience could pick up on that would prevent counterfeiters that would be cool, but I fear getting them WATA graded could  also raise a ton of awareness and Lead to an increase in demand and price increases where counterfeiting Becomes more prevalent as scammers try and pull a fast one on your everyday collector.

Im torn too, Because more awareness brings more out of the woodwork, but may bring more fakes to the market and I really like the idea of these being found organically from people happy selling for the standard price of a copy.

I’d also probably be pissed too if WATA came back on like my Tennis or baseball and said sorry this shouldn’t exist.