IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

Did you end up buying that?

Nope, it was sold when I found it. That's just the pic that's up on ebay. It's a different one than what you have on your site already, and this game isn't TOO common, so I wonder if a bunch of them got double labels.

I have a few items to add here but here is one of which I already had pictures.  I get the rest in later.

This is a double print shift error for the Wild Gunman 5 screw cartridge.  I say "double print shift" since two different color patterns out of the 3 or 4 appear to have been independently shifted.

I've included a closeup view, a full view, a side by side view and a side by side view with points.

The side by side views compare two cartridges from the same manufacturing facility with the 01 quality stamp.

This is the only Wild Gunman error I have ever seen (either online, at shows, or elsewhere), so I believe it is extremely rare.

Side by side with points.png

Side by side.png

thumbnail_20191229_110314.jpg

thumbnail_20191229_110409.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

I have a few items to add here but here is one of which I already had pictures.  I get the rest in later.

This is a double print shift error for the Wild Gunman 5 screw cartridge.  I say "double print shift" since two different color patterns out of the 3 or 4 appear to have been independently shifted.

I've included a closeup view, a full view, a side by side view and a side by side view with points.

The side by side views compare two cartridges from the same manufacturing facility with the 01 quality stamp.

This is the only Wild Gunman error I have ever seen (either online, at shows, or elsewhere), so I believe it is extremely rare.

Side by side with points.png

Side by side.png

thumbnail_20191229_110314.jpg

thumbnail_20191229_110409.jpg

Nice so you are the one trying to sell it on eBay I recently added it to my site

On 1/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, Hybrid said:

Nice so you are the one trying to sell it on eBay I recently added it to my site

Yes, I put it up to see what offers came in. It's one of those pieces where you really have to be a collector to want, but ya feeling it out.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:54 PM, nrslam said:

Even with all the arrows and explanations, I can barely see the errors. I might have boxfulls of misprints and not know it.

Ya, well I was surprised when i found it. I was originally trying to sell it back as a (normal) duplicate copy from my collection. You see the other one I had in the side by side.
But don't get your hopes up. I have had a couple thousand carts go through my hands and I can tell you most misprints are not very common.

Keeping to the less common oddities:

Goonies 2 5 screw version isn't exactly super rare but it's that kind of uncommon that draws 50-80 dollars pretty easily. 

20200203_234634.jpg

Here are some interesting print error examples for Seal Trademark errors. These are more common than people realize but are harder to catch. Here King's Knight has a trademark that runs together,  and The Adventure of Link has a totally botched Registered Trademark.  (I used a map lens to magnify the trademark errors)

20200203_235227.jpg

20200203_235234.jpg

20200203_235025.jpg

20200203_235156.jpg

Just for reference early printings with the oval Nintendo seal got a Trademark,  and later printings got a Registered Trademark symbol after anyone laws changed and Nintendo registered its seal. The first circular seal didn't have any remaining symbols at all. (There are just a few titles that had an oval Seal with no trademarking such as Back to the Future 2&3, but I have no idea about the decision process on those)

And lastly I have some Canadian releases. For the most part these have identical software. Only the serial numbers changed on the front label to the format NES-??-CAN and the back labels and instruction books also had french. The earliest releases with the circle Seal that had no serial number printed on the label (baseball in this example) had CAN printed on the front. Only early printings of some releases had a Canadian release. Later prints delivered the USA release as a North American release to both Canada and Mexico. These aren't very rare but are interesting. 

20200203_234753.jpg

20200204_002840.jpg

20200204_002907.jpg

20200203_234804.jpg

20200204_002934.jpg

20200203_234836.jpg

Edited by Stormarov.45

• 1 month later...