IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

@FireHazard51  The long label on the back of a Yoshi Cart is normal.  Yoshi came out in 1992.  It's typical for later releases to have the longer label on back.  

As for Mega Man 4, I presume you're referring to the odd placement of the "NES-4V-USA" up at the top right of the label.  This is also normal for mega man 4.  The exact placement varies between - right on the edge, more on top, more on the front but they are all like that.

Edited by PII
  • Like 2

Social Team · Posted
9 hours ago, PII said:

@FireHazard51  The long label on the back of a Yoshi Cart is normal.  Yoshi came out in 1992.  It's typical for later releases to have the longer label on back.  

As for Mega Man 4, I presume you're referring to the odd placement of the "NES-4V-USA" up at the top right of the label.  This is also normal for mega man 4.  The exact placement varies between - right on the edge, more on top, more on the front but they are all like that.

Welp, you don't know till you know.  But I'm SUPER interested in collecting variants/error products now.  Now every game I come across I'll be look it over like crazy be thinking, "Maybe this isn't normal.....better buy it and then ask VGS"  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Welp, you don't know till you know.  But I'm SUPER interested in collecting variants/error products now.  Now every game I come across I'll be look it over like crazy be thinking, "Maybe this isn't normal.....better buy it and then ask VGS"  

Welcome to the rabbit hole. 10 years later I’m still finding minor variants almost every day.

NES is a lifelong hunt for variant hunters. Good luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Legit variant, somewhat harder to find. Im not sure which is “first” to be honest.

One of the few “accepted“ unlicensed games with that major of a revision.

Tengen Pac-Man comes to mind immediately as the only real analog, and yellow box Maxi-15, but that’s a Canadian variant. I guess you can count the sticker “competition” variants of the rarer color dreams games?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What's the deal with this King Of Kings box? Everything I see online is a different black box, this one is brown. Is it fake? I've had it for years.

IMG_20200503_142507.jpg

Nah, it's just a variant. I'm not sure which one is the original release, but both boxes are available on eBay right now.

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Legit variant, somewhat harder to find. Im not sure which is “first” to be honest.

Probably the family version was first, didn't sell well, and then the camel art was the "action-packed" re-release artwork dolled out in a last ditch effort to scrounge up some sales.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @Hybrid The Konami/Ultra things are beginning to gain steam in the higher end spectrum of the hobby so I think it’s worth tracking whether or not the label has any sign of label lift.

Also, someone said to me that the 5-screw Oddities all have Konami manufactured boards whereas the standard releases don’t. if there’s any validity to that then I think we have a solid way of tracking these things as legitimate.

• Sad 1