IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

@Hybrid

I just noticed all black label copies of Medal of Honor Frontline for GameCube have a spelling error on the back of the box art. The word "multiplayer" is spelled as "mulitplayer". It's right under the word "VOLUNTEER" in huge font at the top.

The player's choice version of the game has the correct spelling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Damn, you are correct sir.  That sucks balls...

Sorry to have to piss in your cornflakes, I have a habit of doing that, but cold hard reality is much more beneficial than sugar-coated-poops.  There may be a silver lining, it just depends on your perspective.  It's still a cool find, especially in the wild like that.  I have a couple of those myself and far more interesting than the cosmetic difference between a 5-screw shell and a 3-screw shell, is the possibility of finding any functional difference in the gameplay which is always a possibility with these.  I did some jawing on the subject recently in another thread -to nutshell it, look into the gameplay difference between 3-screw Castlevania and 5-screw Castlevania due to the glitch potential in the latter...

On 11/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, jxmx3 said:

Yep 3rd version of Wayne Gretzky Hockey .. Tho im not sure this one is super rare. Not sure about the Box and manual tho .. i would assume that would have had to of been updated as well .. i have never seen  those. (actually this should be the 4th version)

35542928_mini_PhotoNov2085417AM.jpg.9f1a3872e98795d004f9d00f6b77e247.jpg

752544134_mini_PhotoNov2085508AM.jpg.3c1d11f3e67246905b023d5213632bfe.jpg

Actually there are 4 versions, USA, USA-1, USA-2 and USA-3. I dont know what the difference is between USA and USA-1, but the USA's Ive found, for the most part, tend to be coming out of Canada for what ever reason. 

17 hours ago, GeeksTreat said:

Actually there are 4 versions, USA, USA-1, USA-2 and USA-3. I dont know what the difference is between USA and USA-1, but the USA's Ive found, for the most part, tend to be coming out of Canada for what ever reason. 

I have never been able to figure out the difference between the two revisions with the same label (1 & 2 or 2 & 3 I think). I assume it's some minor software update, but I've never seen it documented anywhere. Anyone know?

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I have never been able to figure out the difference between the two revisions with the same label (1 & 2 or 2 & 3 I think). I assume it's some minor software update, but I've never seen it documented anywhere. Anyone know?

I don't think it's software updates, as there are no embossed letters on the backs of any of my copies (I have them all).  My guess is that it is simply changes/expirations of licensing agreements with Gretzky and the LA Kings.  You've got to remember that this game was in print for several years, probably due in large part to the popularity of hockey up here in Canada...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

37 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't think it's software updates, as there are no embossed letters on the backs of any of my copies (I have them all).  My guess is that it is simply changes/expirations of licensing agreements with Gretzky and the LA Kings.  You've got to remember that this game was in print for several years, probably due in large part to the popularity of hockey up here in Canada...

If someone wants to double check they could also open up a -3 cart and look at the ROM chip's revision number

16 hours ago, Goodvibes said:

I know there was a previous discussion about the boards in the Konami/Ultra five screw carts. Here’s the boards from the two silent service carts I have:

FE7E3157-1C42-45DA-8A24-2EF195C4184E.jpeg

B41A5012-D851-4AA8-86C8-2BAC409624D9.jpeg

The resolution isn't great on my phone, but do those say 89? I don't know much about chip date codes... And less about the ones pictured in the first image... 

On 11/14/2020 at 5:43 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

On 11/15/2020 at 12:50 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yep, the ROM chip has the code NES-ZY-0 so it looks like there was no code change.

So weird that they changed the numbering. I looked at the labels with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find anything. If you're renewing/updating the licenses, but not showing that on the box or cartridge label, why bother with the cost of a revision? So weird.

5 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

The resolution isn't great on my phone, but do those say 89? I don't know much about chip date codes... And less about the ones pictured in the first image... 

yeah they’re both 89, resolution isn’t as great after I posted the pictures.

12590E2E-CEDB-42C0-A9F5-25AF873E7589.jpeg

E039F243-311A-48E9-8CD3-B05DF9FD6DDE.jpeg

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 8:31 AM, darkchylde28 said:

Do you happen to know if there was ever a matching manual and box produced for this version?

I can tell you for sure that there was no matching box/manual.

The white jersey cart often came with a black jersey box and manual as well and vice versa. These were planned variants. 

Hey guys - wondering if anyone has an idea about whether or not these would be errors or variants at all? I've had a ton of each of these come by my hands and most of them are similar, but I noticed a copy of Adventure Island II I found seemed to have a uniformly different shade of blue/green for the background. Normally I would figure this is just sun fading, but none of the other colors seem to be affected at all. Thoughts?

For Super Mario Brothers 3 - this one also seems weird to me. The top label has this pale white cloud shaped splotch. The blue doesn't seem smeared or faded, there aren't any cuts or nicks in the label and the top of the label is flat and smooth. Was the factory just running out of yellow? Hard to think anything dissolved yellow out without disrupting the gloss on the top of the label and without affecting any other color. I looked up "Super Mario Bros 3 Cloud Label" haha but of course nothing comes up. Anyway, wanted to contribute some labels from my collection and also figured this would be the best place to ask!

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 4.42.18 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 4.42.18 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 4.42.19 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 4.48.27 PM.jpeg