IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

Here're shots of the circuit board for the Goonies II White Seal 5-Screw Cart.  It's got that layout where one of the two main chips is rotated 90˚ rather than being inline - Not sure if that indicates anything or not.  I've noticed some games have this variation in addition to the usual inline layout, R.C. Pro-Am, to name another real quick..

If I understand date codes, then the first two numbers are the year of release and the 2nd two indicate the week in that given year.  Please correct me if that's incorrect.

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 8.50.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 8.52.00 PM.png

Edited by PII

5 minutes ago, PII said:

If I understand date codes, then the first two numbers are the year of release and the 2nd two indicate the week in that given year.  Please correct me if that's incorrect.

That is correct (at least for these date codes, other formats do exist). So the latest date code is 8928 or week 28 of 1989 on the far right chip.

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, bowser said:

No way this -3 variant of Wayne Gretzky is rare. There were 3 sold in the past month on eBay and there's another active listing right now.

What's the bet some poor sod with massive FOMO is going to go buy it immediately after seeing this post 😁

It's not Tecmo NBA Basketball -N7 rare...but it's rare enough that the market can be cornered.

14 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Please don't hype this game yet.

There's already whispers of the investor types talking about it.... 😞

I'm not hyping, besides who looks at this thread but us?

12 hours ago, bowser said:

No way this -3 variant of Wayne Gretzky is rare. There were 3 sold in the past month on eBay and there's another active listing right now.

What's the bet some poor sod with massive FOMO is going to go buy it immediately after seeing this post 😁

No its is not all that rare. This version represent 1/6 to 1/10 of the production of this game. (I am guessing 25-50 thousand copies) But I did get to complete my Gretzky trifecta, and I had to wait for these to show up on eBay to do it, (Which was brought on by a Facebook post in a collectors group no less. Thats why you saw three pop off at the same time on ebay.)

12 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

It's not Tecmo NBA Basketball -N7 rare...but it's rare enough that the market can be cornered.

I will have to look for one of those. I saw one for sale and I could not figure out why they wanted so much for it. (I'll find mine for 7 bucks in some back alley thrift store I bet.)

Edited by Stormarov.45

18 minutes ago, bowser said:

Thanks! But I was actually asking about game cartridges for GBC. I just haven't seen any with the ASI label and would love to get pics of any examples.

i have not done a lot of research on this topic... but as far as i can tell the ASI was not part of the region codes for GBC

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 11:10 AM, Stormarov.45 said:

I'm not hyping, besides who looks at this thread but us?

No its is not all that rare. This version represent 1/6 to 1/10 of the production of this game. (I am guessing 25-50 thousand copies) But I did get to complete my Gretzky trifecta, and I had to wait for these to show up on eBay to do it, (Which was brought on by a Facebook post in a collectors group no less. Thats why you saw three pop off at the same time on ebay.)

I will have to look for one of those. I saw one for sale and I could not figure out why they wanted so much for it. (I'll find mine for 7 bucks in some back alley thrift store I bet.)

Found my N7 variant in a lot of a couple games on eBay for $18 I think.  They’re out there and it was fun to finally find it cheaply!

• Wow! 1

On 10/20/2020 at 1:44 PM, JVOSS said:

i have not done a lot of research on this topic... but as far as i can tell the ASI was not part of the region codes for GBC

On 10/20/2020 at 1:21 PM, bowser said:

Thanks! But I was actually asking about game cartridges for GBC. I just haven't seen any with the ASI label and would love to get pics of any examples.

I don't think there are any ASI GBC games. There are ASM games though - like this one from Taiwan.

Power Quest ASM.jpg

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, DK said:

I don't think there are any ASI GBC games. There are ASM games though - like this one from Taiwan.

Power Quest ASM.jpg

will yes and no.  the whole set for the gameboy color aisa - is this asm but its not really a GBC its simply a DMG that has GBC enmeshment so in the since the aisa was not part of the region code for CGB.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, bowser said:

image.png.2a856e5ea8f8ca7cb3417c7b561a2d6c.png

Sigh....lol

23 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

Will I found another one.... at DK Oldies of all places.  Bought it for like 8 bucks. LOLs

Gotta know your stuff boys.

20201029_090020.jpg

I can't remember if this was the first copy of the game that I had, but I picked this up years ago, along with the other two versions.  Do you happen to know if there was ever a matching manual and box produced for this version?  I've found manuals for the other two and photos of boxes of the other two versions, but never either for this one (which seems to be rarely talked about).  Are the matching bits just that hard to find, or is this a case where they updated the game but just shipped whatever boxes and manuals they happened to have on hand?

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I can't remember if this was the first copy of the game that I had, but I picked this up years ago, along with the other two versions.  Do you happen to know if there was ever a matching manual and box produced for this version?  I've found manuals for the other two and photos of boxes of the other two versions, but never either for this one (which seems to be rarely talked about).  Are the matching bits just that hard to find, or is this a case where they updated the game but just shipped whatever boxes and manuals they happened to have on hand?

I've not seen matching ones. I would find it hard to believe they're out there, because this variant doesn't really seem that rare. There are about 3-4 on eBay and mercari in recent sold listings, and a couple still fs for stupid prices

22 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I've not seen matching ones. I would find it hard to believe they're out there, because this variant doesn't really seem that rare. There are about 3-4 on eBay and mercari in recent sold listings, and a couple still fs for stupid prices

I don't think that they're "rare," but they are less common than the other two, in my experience.  Good to know that someone else who's gone looking has also failed to come up with evidence for matching accessories for this version.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I’ve never seen one myself, but if one does exist then it’s easily one of the rarest major boxart revisions.

It may be worth it to just buy up all the regular white jersey boxes and manuals, look at the date codes, and then compare them to the -3 cartridge date codes. If any line up then it’s basically confirmed that there is no matching box or manual.

• Like 1