IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

On 8/30/2020 at 5:33 PM, PII said:

I've wondered about this just a bit and figured that if they were released as some kind of demo/kiosk item then it might make sense for them to turn up predominantly around the largest urban areas ie. New York, Chicago, L.A. as those would be the first choices to demo something in order for it to reach the most possible consumers.  On that note one of the 5-Screws that I've acquired came from someone in the Chicago area, for whatever that's worth...

Things may be about to get a bit "through the looking glass" here.  I have something like that and once again I'm not going to make any claims.  This copy of Goonies II 5-Screw w/no back label, security screws and White Oval Seal on the front turned up on Ebay in early 2019.  It was from a seller called "mouseman140" and I think it was originally posted for $150 w/"factory mismatch" in the title.  I thought it looked suspect and certainly wasn't going to dive in.  I remember a couple of price drops like 120 and 100 maybe and then I kind of forgot about it for awhile.  When I randomly checked again one day the price was down to a song and dance so I figured what the heck and grabbed it.  This was in early March 2019.  Shortly thereafter I noticed that some folks on NA were talking about this very item, most of whom seemed to find it suspect, mostly due to the state of the front label.

I thought there was a possibility that it could be legit as someone having torn the label by starting at the top would then have had to remove what was left starting again from the bottom.  The problem I see is that the "remaining torn portion" (white part) would have had to have gone through removal and reapplication without getting so much as a wrinkle in it.  It is quite thin and would have been especially supple during removal.  To give an idea, upon close up inspection there are apparent grey blotches on the white torn portion that are actually just spots where the grey shell casing can be seen through it.  There is another point to be made for possible legitimacy that I noticed upon further inspection of the cartridge, but I'd rather not mention it in a public forum as I'd hate to give the wrong person any nefarious inspiration.

At any rate I still regard this one as highly suspect for the one simple reason that it is a singular anomaly within an anomaly.

On a related note I occasionally wonder if R.C. Pro-Am might prove to be the key to all of this at some point as it too is an anomaly within an anomaly, however it is not singular and  is a well established occurrence.  Recently, somewhere online I saw a photo of a 5-Screw R.C. Pro-Am that had a back label.  I'm not sure if I have a snap shot of it or not, I'd have to sort through some folders.  At one time I thought maybe that one could possibly have been a "normal" 5-screw as it came out in early 1988, is not Konami/Ultra; and the fact that I used to recurringly happen onto someone commenting online that they own a 5-Screw R.C. Pro-Am that they'd had since childhood.  

The last anomaly within this particular anomaly-field that I know of is that copy of Track & Field II 5-Screw that has a circular black seal on it and was originally documented on NA.

5-Screw Goonies II w:White Oval Seal.png

5-screw tfII w:black seal.png

Yes, I am the owner of the 5 screw Track & Field II.  It is in near perfect condition and has a the back sticker with no "Rev A" and is stamped with a "12".  Purchased this from Laketown two years ago.  Pics below:

IMG_20200831_225758.thumb.jpg.e8de580526b6d21b2dc5621f396ca580.jpg

IMG_20200831_225917.thumb.jpg.96e3ce2857f0d11ad9cc14750c481759.jpg

IMG_20200831_225810.thumb.jpg.a10fe98d6cf74af2edc4d3fc32d6ddfa.jpg

45 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

Yes, I am the owner of the 5 screw Track & Field II.  It is in near perfect condition and has a the back sticker with no "Rev A" and is stamped with a "12".  Purchased this from Laketown two years ago.  Pics below:

IMG_20200831_225758.thumb.jpg.e8de580526b6d21b2dc5621f396ca580.jpg

@_Brink_ You seem to have the first Track & Field game pictured, rather than Track & Field II.

44 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Interesting. Both the Goonies I have sitting out have back labels. I have two Track and Field II's, I found both in the wild personally, one has a back label, the other does not.

Do your Track & Field II's have White/Oval Seals or Black/Circle ???  ...Security Screws or Flatheads ??

On 8/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, NesQuest said:

Re:  Goonies 5 screw...

Considering the wear to the spine/front label, does it appear to anyone else the back label sticker was removed?  Looks like there’s evidence on the upper right side where the label should be....(but that’s just my opinion!)

52CD0BB0-ACA5-4A6F-9A60-8ED7413CA2B0.jpeg

Could be, but as a seller (assuming they've done their research, if they were trying to fake something) why peel the back label? There are a number of these floating around and I think most have the back label, so it'd be surprising if they took the extra step to do something that doesn't legitimize it more. 

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Could be, but as a seller (assuming they've done their research, if they were trying to fake something) why peel the back label? There are a number of these floating around and I think most have the back label, so it'd be surprising if they took the extra step to do something that doesn't legitimize it more. 

I’m not saying the seller or anyone else is faking it.  This could’ve come thru 10-15 different people and a rental store before it hit that seller.

2 hours ago, NesQuest said:

I’m not saying the seller or anyone else is faking it.  This could’ve come thru 10-15 different people and a rental store before it hit that seller.

So like, maybe someone tore the back one off, then got started on the front and gave up? I guess that'd make sense

One tool in solving the Konami/Ultra 5 screw dilemma would be chip dates, I think.  If the chip dates are spread out, that probably indicates something like them being refurbs, and if they're bunched together, that probably indicates that they were made at the same time for some reason.

I have two 5 screw Silent Services with identical PRG and CHR chip dates.

I have two TMNT IIs with dates one week apart.

I have used to have two Castlevania IIs, and they have dates 3 months apart.

So according to these dates, the data is..... inconclusive.  Don't know what Castlevania II's dates being so spread out means.

Edited by wyansas

26 minutes ago, wyansas said:

One tool in solving the Konami/Ultra 5 screw dilemma would be chip dates, I think.  If the chip dates are spread out, that probably indicates something like them being refurbs, and if they're bunched together, that probably indicates that they were made at the same time for some reason.

I have two 5 screw Silent Services with identical PRG and CHR chip dates.

I have two TMNT IIs with dates one week apart.

I have used to have two Castlevania IIs, and they have dates 3 months apart.

So according to these dates, the data is..... inconclusive.  Don't know what Castlevania II's dates being so spread out means.

Maybe because your sample size is too small. Those who owns them can you post chip dates.

I made a document recently with all my rare variants' chip dates, and I documented the date on every chip.  Which date(s) should we post?  Posting our 3 screw versions' dates could be helpful, too, I think.

Also, another thought I had was that the fact that a lot of these rare 5 screw Konamis have messed up labels seems like it would suggest that they weren't refurbs.  A game that was sent in to get fixed would be a lot less likely to get messed up again.  Why would somebody care enough to put it in a box and send it off to get it fixed and then be careless enough to mess the label up again?  Might be subsequent owners messing up the label again, but you would still think that if they were refurbs that these labels would be nicer on average than the average NES game, but they're not really.  And the Castlevania II I recently traded away was a CIB, which suggests something other than them being refurbs.  I don't think the guy I got it from knows its origin.

Edited by wyansas

This is what I had.  It should be formatted evenly, but if you put it in a txt file it should line up.  No reason to hoard this info anymore.

5Sc    3Sc        rarer
Oct 18, 85
10-Yard Fight     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Baseball     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Clu Clu Land     Yes     No     NA     NA
Duck Hunt     Yes     Yes     1     3 Screw
Excitebike     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Golf         Yes     Yes     1     3 Screw
Gyromite     Yes     Yes     9     3 Screw    8705 (5 screw, 8726 3 screw)
Hogan's Alley     Yes     Yes     4     3 Screw
Ice Climber     Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw    (8739 3 screw)
Kung Fu     Yes     Yes     1     3 Screw
Pinball     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Stack-Up     Yes     No     NA     NA
Super Mario Bro    Yes     Yes     2     5 Screw
Tennis         Yes     Yes     7     3 Screw    (8807 3 screw)
Wild Gunman     Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw    (8923 3 screw)
Wrecking Crew     Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw    

June 86
Donkey Kong     Yes     Yes     8     3 screw    8622 (late 87 3 screw)
Donkey Kong Jr. Yes     Yes     9     3 Screw    8625 (late 87 3 screw)
Donkey Kong 3     Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw    8714 (8747 3 screw)
Mario Bros     Yes     Yes     7     3 Screw 8649 (8948)
Popeye         Yes     Yes     3     3 Screw

Aug 86
Balloon Fight     Yes     Yes     7     3 Screw    8651 (5 screw, 8924 3 screw)
Gumshoe     Yes     No     NA     NA
Mach Rider     Yes     Yes     3     3 Screw
Urban Champion     Yes     Yes     8     3 Screw    8720 (8947 3 screw)

Oct 86
Tag Team Wrest    Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Chubby Cherub     Yes     No     NA     NA    
M.U.S.C.L.E.      Yes     No     NA     NA    
Ninja Kid     Yes     Yes     8     3 Screw    8651 (5 screw, 8818 3 screw)

Nov 86
1942         Yes     Yes     4     3 Screw
Commando     Yes     Yes     3     5 Screw
Ghosts Goblins     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw
Karate Champ     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw

Dec 86
Gradius     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw

Feb 87
Trojan         Yes     Yes     3     3 Screw

March 87
Pro Wrestling     Yes     Yes     2     3 Screw
Slalom         Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw
Volleyball     Yes     Yes     9     3 Screw    8709 (5 screw, 8741 3 screw)
Soccer         Yes     Yes     10     3 Screw    8716 (5 screw, 3 ?) 
Donkey K  Math     Yes     Yes     10     3 Screw    8712 (5 screw, 3 ?)

April 87
Rush'n Attack     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw
Track & Field     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw

May 87
BurgerTime     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw
Castlevania     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw
Ikari Warriors     Yes     Yes     2     5 Screw

June 87
Athletic World     Yes     Yes     3     5 Screw

July 87
Kid Icarus     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw    
Mighty Bomb     Yes     Yes     5     3 Screw    
Rygar         Yes     Yes     2     5 Screw
Section-Z     Yes     Yes     5     3 Screw    
Solomon's Key     Yes     Yes     5     3 Screw    

Aug 87
Arkanoid     Yes     Yes     3     3 Screw
Athena         Yes     Yes     4     3 Screw
Elevator Action Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw
Legend of Kage    Yes     Yes     2     5 Screw    
Metroid     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw    8729 (5 screw)
Legend of Zelda Yes     Yes     6     5 Screw    8722 (5 screw ZL-0, 8742 3 screw ZL-0)

Sept 87
3-D Battle    Yes     Yes     3     3 Screw 8731 (5 screw, 8748 3 screw)
Deadly Towers     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw 8730 (5 screw, 8740 3 screw)
Double Dribble     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw 8737 (5 screw)
Lode Runner     Yes     Yes     7     3 Screw 8729 (5 screw, 8739 3 screw)
Raid on Bung.     Yes     Yes     4     3 Screw 8730 (5 screw, 8747 3 screw)
Ring King     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw 8737 (5 screw)
Sky Kid     Yes     Yes     6     3 Screw    8736 (5 screw, 8739 3 screw)
Spelunker     Yes     Yes     5     3 Screw 8730 (5 screw, 8747 3 screw)
Spy Hunter     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw    8734 (5 screw, 8737 3 screw)
Sqoon         Yes     No     NA     NA    8733
Stadium Events  Yes    Yes    10    5 Screw    8737 (3 screw / 5 screw)
Star Voyager     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw    8742 (5 screw)
Stinger     Yes     Yes     10    3 Screw    8734 only (5 screw, 3 screw 8734)
Tiger-Heli     Yes     Yes     6     5 Screw    8738 (5 screw, 8742 3 screw)
Winter Games     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw    8738 (5 screw)

Oct 87
Rad Racer     Yes     Yes     5     5 Screw    8742 (5 screw)
Alpha Mission     Yes     Yes     7     5 Screw    8740 (5 screw / 3 screw)
Lunar Pool     Yes     Yes     6     5 Screw    8738 (5 screw, 8739 3 screw)
Mike Tyson     Yes     Yes     10     5 Screw ? (5 screw PT-0, 8750 3 screw PT-0)
Zanac         Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw    8738 (5 screw / 3 screw)

Nov 87
Breakthru     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw    8741 (5 screw)
Goonies II, The Yes     Yes     8     5 Screw    8743 (5 screw, 8744 3 screw)
Gotcha         Yes     Yes     9     5 Screw    8748 (8748 3 screw)
Jaws         Yes     Yes     9     5 Screw    (11-5-87, 3 screw ?)
Kid Niki:      Yes     Yes     6     5 Screw    8742 (5 screw)
Star Force     Yes     Yes     10     5 Screw    8744 (5 Screw)
Super Pitfall     Yes     Yes     8     5 Screw    8742 (5 screw)
Top Gun     Yes     Yes     4     5 Screw    8742 (8746 5 screw)
SIDE POCKET?    ?        
KARATE KID?    8746

Dec 87
Mega Man     Yes     Yes     10     5 Screw    8748 (3 screw)
Wizard Warriors Yes     Yes     6     5 Screw    8749 (5 screw WW-0, 8751 3 screw WW-0)

Track and Field II - 8952 I think
Castlevania II - 8929
Castlevania II - 8916
Metal Gear - 8912
Snake's Revenge - 9011
Q*bert - 8852
Silent Service - 8935
Silent Service - 8935
Jackal - 8928
TMNT - 9024
TMNT II - 9038
TMNT II - 9037
Adventures of Bayou Billy - 8935
Skate or Die - April 89, I think

Quite a few new ones to add to the list, I'll get pics later.

• Thanks 1

Well I dont count those Konami 5 screws as 'official'.  But it would be nice to have them on file and reference them to the date codes when they were first printed.  Freaking bootgod is down but we can use the wayback machine.  

https://web.archive.org/web/20200127112840/http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/

For example TMNT II has its earliest date code as 9108, way earlier than what you have.  BUT those date codes are printed similar to the famicom release (9044).  Again leading me to believe this are 'internal' copies that somehow got out.  Does the code on the PRG say NES or HVC?  

I'll also note your TMNT 1 has a date code of mid 90 which is about a year after the game was official released in the US AND Japan.

Edited by guitarzombie

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Well I dont count those Konami 5 screws as 'official'.  But it would be nice to have them on file and reference them to the date codes when they were first printed.  Freaking bootgod is down but we can use the wayback machine.  

https://web.archive.org/web/20200127112840/http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/

For example TMNT II has its earliest date code as 9108, way earlier than what you have.  BUT those date codes are printed similar to the famicom release (9044).  Again leading me to believe this are 'internal' copies that somehow got out.  Does the code on the PRG say NES or HVC?  

I'll also note your TMNT 1 has a date code of mid 90 which is about a year after the game was official released in the US AND Japan.

I think the date code gathering was to shed more light on the konami/ultra no-back-label oddities, just so we could narrow down why this might be happening.

8 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I think the date code gathering was to shed more light on the konami/ultra no-back-label oddities, just so we could narrow down why this might be happening.

It certainly helps.  Id have to go thru it but 2 out of the 3 I checked had dates earlier than its normal production.  TMNT 1 is the only one that seems strange that its about a year after its real release.  Silent Service I checked and is also earlier than the US release but a week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...