IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

Administrator · Posted

Rocket Knight Adventures is completed!

I didn't even have to play on Baby mode this time! ;D

K5kv52w.jpg

I used this game to test my new PC and capture card broadcasting on Twitch to make sure I'm prepped to do Extra Life part 2 soon, and it looks to be working great! You can watch the whole playthrough here (no sound for the first while because I didn't realize I wasn't recording the audio lol): 

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

We might as well add those I guess, since the usual "we have enough on our plate" doesn't really apply if our time limit is Forever. I'll gather up the lists. You're welcome to beat them in the meantime.

As for settings, I personally feel like it isn't cheating to use them if the game offers them to you, alongside a difficulty setting. (If you get those options instead of difficulty, then maybe that's different.) It seems similar to just using regular continues. The game tosses you a bone and you can choose to take it or not. So I say it's fine, but we can collectively decide on it, if others feel differently.

Disney's Aladdin is done.

Always liked this game. Not very tough, but oddly the hardest level is right in the middle of the game (The Escape) with lots of tough jumps and boulders chasing you and crap. Burned through a bunch of lives on that one, but the game is very generous with extra lives, so no big deal.

IMG_20191116_202831.jpg

On 11/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, Splain said:

Thanks @bronzeshield, I'll get that info added to the table.

Personally I'd vote that it's not required if it doesn't unlock more content. But I'm open to other opinions if people have them.

The general rule of thumb is that if the game gives a proper ending, it doesn't have to be the best ending.  So in the case of the Sonic games, not getting the Chaos Emeralds would still count, as you still beat the game.  There's exceptions - using the NES as an example, Double Dragon II would require the highest difficulty to be beaten because there isn't a proper ending unless you beat the game on hard.  However, it would not be required to beat Bubble Bobble with two players because the "bad" ending for beating the end boss solo still constitutes an ending.  I would say the best result is to go on a case-by-case basis, as it's impossible to forsee everything at this point.

At Sega-16 we used the policy that it doesn't have to be the best ending, but it can't be a clearly "bad" ending. For instance, this ending on Rolo to the Rescue wouldn't suffice, since it's hard to come away with the impression that the game is giving you credit for a win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFQhJqpYkYY&feature=youtu.be&t=470

OTOH there are a bunch of games that give you small perks for meeting various conditions but don't make a big deal out of it if you don't. Marsupilami and Bonkers are two that come to mind. As the_wizard_666 says, a case-by-case approach seems warranted.

We also allowed free use of options like lives, credits, etc. as long as difficulty was Normal/Medium or better. Even that's case-by-case, since some games only have Easy and Hard or other weird combinations.

Edited by bronzeshield

I beat Golden Axe II and MUSHA. On my first try with GA II I died right at the final boss, so I tried it again with 5 hit points. But it turns out, that I didn't even need them this time. Somehow I also got a prety high score. Don't know how I did that. And I managed to beat MUSHA with just one continue. I don't think I've ever beaten a shmup with only one continue, so that's a pretty cool milestone for me.

I also did one loop of Slap Fight MD on normal mode and normal difficulty. After that it just loops with increased difficulty. I personally really like this game and it's approach to difficulty. You have unlimited continues and can play as long as you want, but it still incentivises players to get good thanks to the point system. But I can't see myself ever 1cc'ing this game since it gets so tough.

Golden Axe II.jpg

Golden Axe II Score.jpg

MUSHA Score.jpg

Slap Fight MD.jpg

Fatal Labyrinth is done as well. It's a very simple game and quite limited, which is understandable since it was originally designed as a small download title. But it's still fun and I think it would have been cool, if they had revisited this game and maybe developed a sequel and made it into a bigger and better experience, similar to Shining in the Darkness.

Fatal Labyrinth.jpg

Editorials Team · Posted
On 11/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, AverageOliver98 said:

Blue Sphere(Sonic 1 + Sonic and Knuckles) should be removed from the list unless the requirement of levels needed to be considered beaten is significantly less then what is in the game(a grand total of 134,217,728 levels).

Good info, I changed the requirement to "Beat all 134,217,728 levels"

@bronzeshield, what requirement did you use for Columns? The "flash" mode or whatever it's called, at least has a definite end state. Do that on middle difficulty?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Splain said:

@bronzeshield, what requirement did you use for Columns? The "flash" mode or whatever it's called, at least has a definite end state. Do that on middle difficulty?

I did that one myself, and used Flash Columns, Pro class, Height 9.  Probably Pro difficulty shouldn't be required, so that sounds good. The main game has no ending.

Thought of some other games with weirdo win conditions:

Star Control - I'd say beat Melee mode and win one scenario in Scenario mode, on Good difficulty or better. The game has a bunch of self-contained scenarios so there's no reason to beat any one of them.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World - tricky, because this has seven self-contained modes or levels, none of which give credits but each has the same basic ending with different text based on the mode you choose. Could just beat one, though I personally beat all of them.

Frogger - get the high score, there's no ending.

Pro Quarterback - win one game, there's nothing else.

WarpSpeed - beat Campaign mode

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Frogger - get the high score, there's no ending.

Is there a high score table?

I went ahead and did Columns as described above. Height 9 is crazy. I've been emulating, but I know I have a Genesis in a box somewhere, with Columns. I'll have to dig it out and hook it up.

Wz2z56T.png

On 11/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, cj_robot said:

Man, I was trying that one the other day. Kept getting stuck on those two girls that jump around all over the place. Could not, for the life of me, figure out how to hit them.

They are pretty annoying. The only way to take them out is face the wall and use your back attack as they walk/jump toward you. I lost a few lives there since it's easy to mess up the button input. There is a second pair of them on the final level boss rush.