IGNORED

Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 234/757

Splain

6 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Gain Ground is actually one of my favorites on the Sega Genesis and it's imho too bad that so few people actually talk about it or seem to like it. It's like Ikari Warriors, but in good and with a lot of different and unique characters that change up the formula quite a bit. This allows you to approach every level in several ways in order to beat it as quick as possible.

I love Gain Ground -- one of the few games that's just as good co-op as single player. Even each difficulty level offers a slightly different experience. I think it's just starting to get the reputation it deserves, little by little. It's one of my top 5 games on the Genesis!

• Like 1

@Andykin Skysk8r Thanks! And yes, that level is really rough. This and the final part of level 7 took me the most lives. But on my second run I got through pretty well. Speaking of which, I think that Shinobi III is the most fun during the first few levels. Somewhere around level 5 or 6 the fun factor drops significantly, imho. That's also where I usually stop playing.

Today I beat Shadow Dancer. It's "arcadier" and shorter, but it is still a lot of fun. However, it continues the questionable Shinobi tradtion of having an extremely difficult level near the end of the game. Also, the final boss fight was really, really tough. Those Ninjas the endlessly spawns are really annoying. On my second run I wasted 12 lives on the final level including the boss. It took another continue until I got lucky and beat him.

Shadow Dancer.jpg

• Like 1

I beat Gunstar Heroes for the first time. I used to hit a brick wall in level 5 or 6, but this time around I got past them and the near endless boss rushs to see the end. Of course I had to make use of the unlimited continues. Otherwise it would have been too difficult for me. What made it doable this time around was the combination of the fire and the laser weapon. It may have a short range, but it can destroy most enemy projectiles. This saved me multiple times.

Gunstar Heroes.jpg

• Like 2

Ecco Jr. Is done  I won't say "beaten" as there was no challenge here.

The game basically consists of a set of fetch quests and a few games of tag. That's it. No air meter or health to worry about.

That said, this would gave been a great way for kids to enjoy the Ecco concept without being crushed by the main games' difficulty.

Apologies for the poor quality screen shots. I played this on my PSP, using the Megadrive collection. My camera didn't seem to want to focus properly.

20200130_190207.jpg

20200130_190539.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis game - 53/693

I beat The Revenge of Shinobi. This was a really hard game and not necessarily in the fun and challenging kind of way, but rather cheap and frustratingly unfair. Enemies are constantly put into spots where they annoy you the most. You jump over a gap from one platform to the next? There's an enemy shooting at you just nearly out of sight, so that you fall into the gap and die. Or enemies shoot at you from out of screen or from positions where there's little to no chance of escaping enemy attacks. And shit like this happened all the time in this game. Really the only way to have a realistic chance at beating this requires so much memorisation that it ends up being frustrating and annoying. It's hard to believe that this game is held in such high regards when it contains plenty of player-unfriendly design that's just out to punish you. The successors improved upon this formula in many ways and are far superior, imho.

The Revenge of Shinobi.jpg

• Like 2

Alien Storm is done. Another tough one off the list.

Speaking of Aliens, does Alien Soldier have to be beaten on Superhard? After all, that's the default difficulty. It's basically the same as Supereasy with the only difference being that you have limited lives/continues.

Alien Storm.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Alien Storm is done. Another tough one off the list.

Speaking of Aliens, does Alien Soldier have to be beaten on Superhard? After all, that's the default difficulty. It's basically the same as Supereasy with the only difference being that you have limited lives/continues.

Nice job on those hard titles. Alien storm has only those 2 difficulties, lol. Supereasy and superhard. If @bronzeshield has an opinion from his experience then I'm all ears, but I lean toward requiring superhard because it looks like there's no credit roll after supereasy.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis game - 55/693
3 hours ago, Splain said:

Nice job on those hard titles. Alien storm has only those 2 difficulties, lol. Supereasy and superhard. If @bronzeshield has an opinion from his experience then I'm all ears, but I lean toward requiring superhard because it looks like there's no credit roll after supereasy.

Back in 2014, the guy who beat it for Sega-16 (Zebbe) said the following:

"I have beaten this game on super hard before. Super easy is much easier. More power-ups and bosses go down easier. Also, there are passwords and unlimited continues on super easy. Super hard has three lives only. The ending is the same on both."

Then there was the following reply from user sjorspion:

"There are differences ingame although, mostly extra/extended cutscene's. For example the transformation from the boss on the train...
Just checked it, when fighting Xi-Tiger on Super Easy the screen will just flash white to transform to Xi-Tiger. On superhard there a little cutscene.
As far as I remember, there a more of these little extra's in the Superhard mode. Can't remember though if it had any effect (/extra's) on the ending..."

And then Zebbe again:

"That's strange, I never noticed any differences like that. I played the PAL version on super easy, it had that transformation cutscene. I also have the Japanese version but have never played super easy on that one."

And then another user, superandroidtron, helped make some sense of it all:

"That cutscene appears on both difficulty levels, but sometimes does not appear due to a bug. If you die between the start of the level and the boss fight, the cutscene will not play."

So...I don't know? 🧐 But we accepted the victory at the time, I can say that.

Okay, I'll see if I give Alien Soldier on super hard a try, but the last time I only made it until level 16 or 17. It's really crazy.

Anyway, I tried to beat Golden Axe III, but I am not sure, if this even counts. This is because there are two endings afaik and I got the "bad" ending where it says that true peace is not restored and that I will have to journey again to obtain the Golden Axe. I know that there is another ending where you have to fight another boss which triggers a different ending. But I have no idea how to get this one and the last time I tried to research that I couldn't find an answer either. Apparently it's random or triggered by some unknown event(s)???

Golden Axe III.jpg

Golden Axe III ending.jpg

Today I finally beat a big one: Shining in the Darkness. And as a cherry on top I did ESWAT as well. The first one is a really good and enjoyable dungeon crawler that only dragged on a bit in the labyrinth proper once I reached floor 2 and 3 since they were very difficult and required quite a bit of grinding. But I still got through and thoroughly beat Dark Sol. My whole group was level 50+ by the time I reached him so that he stood little chance. ESWAT is a pretty fun and challenging game as well that had me on the edge of my seat during the later levels.

Shining in the Darkness.jpg

eswat.jpg

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
On 2/6/2020 at 9:48 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Okay, I'll see if I give Alien Soldier on super hard a try, but the last time I only made it until level 16 or 17. It's really crazy.

Anyway, I tried to beat Golden Axe III, but I am not sure, if this even counts. This is because there are two endings afaik and I got the "bad" ending where it says that true peace is not restored and that I will have to journey again to obtain the Golden Axe. I know that there is another ending where you have to fight another boss which triggers a different ending. But I have no idea how to get this one and the last time I tried to research that I couldn't find an answer either. Apparently it's random or triggered by some unknown event(s)???

I googled it and found this:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-22186.html

If that bottom post is correct, then it has to do with how many continues you have left. If that's really it, then I don't think I'd take a hard line on requiring the "good ending" unless we want to require good endings in general.

Nice job on these completions Gaia. I've had a little more time lately to play games, I'll work some Genesis games into the mix.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis game - 57/693
  • 1 month later...

Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck

The game only has an Easy and Normal mode. I beat it on Easy.  It's a really fun platformer, I'll probably try to beat it on Normal too, although I don't think you get anyhting extra for it.

HZH8fh9.jpg

Castlevania: Bloodlines (EUR: The New Generation)

I beat it on Normal using John Morris.

0uEgYfh.jpg

Edited by RudeGravity
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 57/757
Editorials Team · Posted

I finally added PAL Mega Drive games to the list. I didn't include anything that was just a multicart of other games already on the list. I went through to see if any MD games were beaten in the meantime; @Gaia Gensouki beat Slap Fight and Snow Bros, which look like Japan releases. Should we add Japan MD games to the list, or just track the clears without trying to complete them all? I lean toward the latter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeopardy! is done.  

Note: At one point I needed to input the date December 8th 1941.  I put 12 8 1941 and was declared incorrect.  Also, managed to lose the Daily Double almost every single time - Always the weirdest and most obscure question...

Edited by PII

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, PII said:

Jeopardy! is done.  

Note: At one point I needed to input the date December 8th 1941.  I put 12 8 1941 and was declared incorrect.  Also, managed to lose the Daily Double almost every single time - Always the weirdest and most obscure question...

Nice name. Yeah, Jeopardy unfortunately just doesn't work well as a video game. Maybe if the dev team put the hours into creating a really robust language parsing algorithm, which they're not going to do if it's just a Jeopardy game. Game Boy got 4 Jeopardy titles and they're handily the worst 4 titles in the library.

• The title was changed to Beat every Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game - 61/757
  • 3 weeks later...