IGNORED

Gem Of Your Collection

DarkTone

Graphics Team · Posted

The gem of my collection is definitely my NES Advantage arcade stick.

It isn't rare and it has no sentimental value, but I just think it's the coolest controller ever. Plus, I love playing NES games with turbo-fire. I can only imagine how great the Advantage would be with a microswitch joystick and arcade-style A and B buttons...

NES Advantage Display.jpg

• Like 4

My personal collection grail is Dino Park Tycoon on 3DO.  I spent literally the better part of a decade trying to track down a copy to finish my 3DO set.   I was sitting at 2 titles shy of the set for 8 years - Woody Woodpecker Vol. 2 and Dino Park. 

Woody had popped up for sale on eBay twice in that time and I missed both of them as they were BINs that got nabbed before I saw them.  Dino Park literally didn't pop up at all that entire span.  The PC and Mac versions pop up pretty frequently and are almost always mislabeled as a 3DO game, so my saved search just kept taunting me for years.

Ironically, I finally I ended up landing both of them on the same day from the same seller. 

It was far and away the hardest set I've completed, but I had a blast completing it - starting with building my own set list because one just didn't exist back then and culminated in the longest game hunt I've ever had.

A close second would be my prototype UMD of the unreleased Superman Returns for PSP.  The UMD was used as the floor demo at E3 2006 and, I believe, is the only one known to exist.

Clearly I tend to like stuff nobody but me gives a crap about lol.

Edited by VGCollectaholic
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, VGCollectaholic said:

A close second would be my prototype UMD of the unreleased Superman Returns for PSP.  The UMD was used as the floor demo at E3 2006 and, I believe, is the only one known to exist.

Agreed. I don't give a crap about that. Slopestyle on the other hand, now there's a gem!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, VGCollectaholic said:

I recall directing you to a cheap-ass Space Shuttle for 3DO on ebay one time. Did you buy your DinoPark off ebay?

Gratz on completing your set.

The shelf liner I'm most happy with is also a 3DO game: Crash n Burn in longbox. But for a short period of time last summer I had a Stadium Event in my possession, so that was it then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I recall directing you to a cheap-ass Space Shuttle for 3DO on ebay one time. Did you buy your DinoPark off ebay?

Gratz on completing your set.

The shelf liner I'm most happy with is also a 3DO game: Crash n Burn in longbox. But for a short period of time last summer I had a Stadium Event in my possession, so that was it then.

Thanks!  I did snag that Space Shuttle back then.  Looking back through my database, it was $17.56 - definitely a nice score. 

Yeah, that eBay Dino Park auction was the one I ended up with.

That Crash n Burn longbox is an awesome sleeper pick!  There is definitely not enough recognition for it's rarity.

36 minutes ago, VGCollectaholic said:

Thanks!  I did snag that Space Shuttle back then.  Looking back through my database, it was $17.56 - definitely a nice score. 

Yeah, that eBay Dino Park auction was the one I ended up with.

That Crash n Burn longbox is an awesome sleeper pick!  There is definitely not enough recognition for it's rarity.

Thank god I got that at a missed price. I'm still missing DinoPark, Mathemagics, and one other for my long box set. I've kinda written off Dinopark.

• Like 1

I’ve always been fascinated with unreleased games for the Nes.  All of the unreleased prototypes I own are special to me.  The four pictured are my favorites though.  They are Super Pitfall II, California Raisins, Mike Tyson’s Power Punch, and Drac’s Night Out which has a prototype label.  I also enjoy released prototypes but my favorite is my very early Tecmo Super Bowl since it’s my favorite all time game.  These are all my personal gems.  I also have three original unreleased Nes game cover paintings that are also very special to me.  They are Secret Ties, California Raisins, and Shogun Maeda.   

A73463D0-FE56-475C-AEED-AEE49D4CF55D.jpeg

57E6D15B-D32A-48DD-A511-7D8E9B31C72A.jpeg

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 5

• 1 month later...

I guess it would be these two sets - I have all 4 Saturn Dragon Force discs and all 7 of the Sega CD Lunar Silver Star discs.

With the exception of the seventh Lunar disc I got them all back in the day when I had a good friend who managed a game store and noticed that the discs for those games varied.  So he started saving them for me and charged me whatever the going rate for used games was then,

I got the seventh Lunar on a buy it now on ebay for $40 several years ago.   (Which was a great price even then.)

16 hours ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

all 7 of the Sega CD Lunar Silver Star discs

Years ago when I first discovered there are different discs, I wanted to get them all.  But not one single time have I encountered another Lunar in the wild.  The one I have is the copy I pre-ordered from Babbage's.  It's the 'worst' one where the art doesn't go all the way to the hole, it has that giant shiny ring.  I've been content just having the scans of the other images. 

25 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

Years ago when I first discovered there are different discs, I wanted to get them all.  But not one single time have I encountered another Lunar in the wild.  The one I have is the copy I pre-ordered from Babbage's.  It's the 'worst' one where the art doesn't go all the way to the hole, it has that giant shiny ring.  I've been content just having the scans of the other images. 

I am just glad I got the bulk of my collection before it was collectible.   One of the few times where being an old geezer is useful. 🙄