IGNORED

The Nintendo PlayStation Prototype is for sale

1 hour ago, Californication said:

It is definetly an important piece of history, but what does it represen?

I mean you had two video game developers who couldn't see eye to eye. And because they couldn't agree, Nintendo probably took some short term and long term losses, but overall the gaming industry is better because Sony and Nintendo didn't work together longer. 

The moral of the story is if you don't get along with someone it will all work oit for the better?

Competition > Synergy ?

What you talking about, PlayStation sucks balls! Would've been better for Sony to release this SNES CD and then watch it fail and go, "Ah well, videogames ain't for us I suppose"...

Every day for the past 25 years I have dreamed of a blissful PlayStation-free existence, every morning I wake up with the wretched pang of cold dread when I remember that world will never be. 😥

#N64life 💕

Edited by OptOut

21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

What you talking about, PlayStation sucks balls! Would've been better for Sony to release this SNES CD and then watch it fail and go, "Ah well, videogames ain't for us I suppose"...

Every day for the past 25 years I have dreamed of a blissful PlayStation-free existence, every morning I wake up with the wretched pang of cold dread when I remember that world will never be. 😥

#N64life 💕

Have you ever played the N64?

😛

• Haha 1

I have and it stands well alone for dozens of solid games but no it wasn’t number one due to quantity. Quantity of storage, total releases and quality due to so much saturation the odds alone allow for lots to like. 

I don’t think though that nutty price is that nutty. It’s a good tactic to either keep it or get it to a likely entity that’ll make a display of it and not in the hands of some frothing loon golem wannabe that’ll hide their precious away. 

9 hours ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I think he was totally uncomfortable with having it set up there. I clearly had no idea how important this thing was he made me feel like. I tried to have a conversation with him but he continued to talk down on me irately. lol. 

Then why the hell did he have it set up there in the first place?   I can see it being on display and being played throughout the day, but that's just asinine to have it at the after party.

A few years back somebody spilled a drink on a Primal Rage 2 arcade.   Luckily Galloping Ghost ended up fixing it with no issue.

13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

You know it’s high when 2% of his ask would be a pretty good offer. 

How so? Is it really possible to judge a price on this kind of item, when there are no directly comparable sales we can relate it to? Genuinely curious how such an item can be priced, when no other know examples exist. Is a million really out of the question?

I have no idea, I just wanna hear your logic, seeing as you actually have experience with one of a kind items! 🙂

54 minutes ago, OptOut said:

How so? Is it really possible to judge a price on this kind of item, when there are no directly comparable sales we can relate it to? Genuinely curious how such an item can be priced, when no other know examples exist. Is a million really out of the question?

I have no idea, I just wanna hear your logic, seeing as you actually have experience with one of a kind items! 🙂

Well, what’s the most a piece of prototype hardware has ever sold for?     What’s the most a piece of prototype software has ever sold for?   

Yes a million is completely out of the question at this point in time IMO. 

I mean what’s the next most valuable prototype hardware worth?   25k?    So this is supposed to be 40- 120 times more valuable than the previous record?    There’s just no way IMO.   Waaaaay too big a step up.      4 times a previous record?   Conceivable.   40?  No. 

And more to the point, as the dollars get larger the pool gets smaller.     There is really no buyer in the hobby atm with the interest in items like that who is willing and able to write the check so far as I know.

theres also comparisons to other hobbies.   The most a comic has sold for is 3m.    The most a sports card has sold for is in that range also.     

Valuations in those other hobbies are ahead of where we are.    3m is possible in the sense that I suppose anything is possible, but it’s just highly unlikely.   It’s a big leap from lower six figures which is where our hobby is currently at on the top end to this kind of price. 

Even one of a kinds have comparables.  No potential buyers come to mind and no sales of any video game related ANYTHING in that price neighbourhood. It’s like having one at-bat and hoping to hit a 650 foot home run.     Ok perhaps in theory it’s possibke...   but it’s not happening

Edited by Bronty

I thought Ben Heck repaired the disc drive and had it play audio given there are no prototype game CDs floating around to test it.  There is a set of videos on youtube from a few years ago that show the entire tear down, discovery and repair steps taken.

I'm curious maybe bronty is right about 4x the highest yet could be reasonable.  It's just a tough one to call.  What was the current most expensive proto hardware sold and for how much?  I mean stepping back objectively this system as far as prototypes go probably has the most fascinating and impactful story behind it.  You have a moment in time here where Sony who has been at the time a SNES partner in gaming and with the system audio core that was trusted to make the CD add-on system for the device.  As history ended up showing a few key things came from that deal. One was Sony setting up their deal where Nintendo would have to manufacture the game media yet Sony gets 100% of the royalty fees on each game which is just unreasonable to put a nice word to it.  Nintendo catches wind and tosses them to the curb for the Philips choice which ended up not working for games well and that goes off in its tangent Nintendo being paranoid about optical until the Gamecube.

One system gets slightly retooled and has the needed components the SNES would have offered added to make the PS1, the other ends up trying to pitch VCD as a format through the CDi.  I think we know the history of the Playstation brand (and CDi too.) 😉  This greats a unique point of interest of 2 great hardware game makers, a story of deceit and multi-layered backstabbing of Sony on Nintendo, Nintendo on Sony to Philips, then Nintendo tossing Philips under the bus and them stuck doing their CDi failure.  It captures multiple audiences, and when you get overlap that increases value and valued interest.  I'm not saying $3M is fair or perhaps even reasonable, but you do have to wonder what some business or grouping of individuals would pay to grab this.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 9:06 PM, Deadeye said:

He is looking for $3M.  Had to go back and look for it to confirm I wasn't misremembering.Screenshot_20191110-210402.thumb.jpg.64d88cb22cd2118c2102ef324a22708c.jpg

Screenshot_20191110-210450.jpg

I agree this is rare ,but anyone who has $3M to burn on a  video game related item has absolute SHIT for brains ..

Edited by NES CONNOISSEUR

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I thought Ben Heck repaired the disc drive and had it play audio given there are no prototype game CDs floating around to test it.  There is a set of videos on youtube from a few years ago that show the entire tear down, discovery and repair steps taken.

I'm curious maybe bronty is right about 4x the highest yet could be reasonable.  It's just a tough one to call.  What was the current most expensive proto hardware sold and for how much?  I mean stepping back objectively this system as far as prototypes go probably has the most fascinating and impactful story behind it.  You have a moment in time here where Sony who has been at the time a SNES partner in gaming and with the system audio core that was trusted to make the CD add-on system for the device.  As history ended up showing a few key things came from that deal. One was Sony setting up their deal where Nintendo would have to manufacture the game media yet Sony gets 100% of the royalty fees on each game which is just unreasonable to put a nice word to it.  Nintendo catches wind and tosses them to the curb for the Philips choice which ended up not working for games well and that goes off in its tangent Nintendo being paranoid about optical until the Gamecube.

One system gets slightly retooled and has the needed components the SNES would have offered added to make the PS1, the other ends up trying to pitch VCD as a format through the CDi.  I think we know the history of the Playstation brand (and CDi too.) 😉  This greats a unique point of interest of 2 great hardware game makers, a story of deceit and multi-layered backstabbing of Sony on Nintendo, Nintendo on Sony to Philips, then Nintendo tossing Philips under the bus and them stuck doing their CDi failure.  It captures multiple audiences, and when you get overlap that increases value and valued interest.  I'm not saying $3M is fair or perhaps even reasonable, but you do have to wonder what some business or grouping of individuals would pay to grab this.

Maybe, but 

a) just because a buyer can buy something doesn’t mean they will

b) that kind of buyer paying seven figures would have to believe there’s a buyer at mid seven figures one day in the not too distant future  to take the risk and hassle and boy  now we are really getting further and further from reality

Edited by Bronty

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Romiked2689 said:

Why is a store owner of pink gorilla so involved with prototypes out of nowhere??? I’m seriously going to archive con this weekend and she’s listed as a big celebrity lol. Am I missing something so I can be like oh no reason to jealous

She is the codirector of the Videogame History Foundation.  She was answering people asking if the foundation could buy the prototype.  The short of it was, they don't have that kind of money and even if they did, $3M could buy a hell of a lot of historical items over just one prototype.

8 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

She is the codirector of the Videogame History Foundation.  She was answering people asking if the foundation could buy the prototype.  The short of it was, they don't have that kind of money and even if they did, $3M could buy a hell of a lot of historical items over just one prototype.

Okay why is she the codirector then.thansk for the first answer by the way! Also Terry is crazy to think it’ll go for 3 million. He’s acting like he did some great service to the gaming community then put it in a museum lol. Where’s my bullwhip I’ll save the day! 

1 hour ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I have to hand it to him though. He has milked that console for one hell of a ride across the world showing it off and letting people see it. 

That was only to get shown so he could get paid don’t be blind to him acting like he was doing that for the community. I’ve heard thru the grapevine there are more of these and that terry Debold asked them not show it until he’s done with the limelight...