IGNORED

Walking Dead TV Shows and Comics Discussion!

Prime2099

Hey all! I had started this thread on the other site, so I figured I'll get it going again here. I know the show is not as popular as it once was and the comic has ended, but here's the place to talk about the Walking Dead TV shows as well as the comics. Spoilers will be present so read at your own risk.

5 minutes ago, Prime2099 said:

Hey all! I had started this thread on the other site, so I figured I'll get it going again here. I know the show is not as popular as it once was and the comic has ended, but here's the place to talk about the Walking Dead TV shows as well as the comics. Spoilers will be present so read at your own risk.

What was the final issue number on the comics?

Edited by bubbapauls

Saw 2 weeks of episodes yesterday and basically ep.2 was beta origin 

ep.3 conflict build, I remember in the comics that this story went by quick 

so would expect they end it with this season 

also for those that haven’t read the last issue, you have to

it definitely sucked when it originally was announced but he sure knew what to write to end the series.  

• 1 year later...

Anyone still watching the Walking Dead? I just watched the Season 10 Finale (which was delayed 6 months from the penultimate episode).  Now they announced that the season will get 6 more episodes in early 2021, rather than start season 11 (The final season)...  kind of strange decision considering episode 10.16 wrapped things up for the most part.

Episode spoiler thoughts:

-They really telegraphed it when Daryl says "not all of us are going to make it" and then they have a bunch of main characters and no-name girl getting coated in blood to go out into the horde. She might as well have been wearing a Star Trek red shirt.

-The horde had been built up as this ultimate weapon of the Whisperers, yet when it was finally deployed it seemed to have no effect whatsoever! It probably killed more of the whisperers than the main group. Everyone already knows about the zombie blood camouflage trick, so I don't know why they were even concerned. Especially when all you need to lead it away is a cart blasting some Talking Heads... speaking of which...

-The Talking Heads!!! Is this the first time in 10 years that The Walking Dead acknowledged the existence of any pre-apocalypse pop culture?!! Normally, when there's music, its some unknown folk song, or an in world celebrity, (like they were building up Beta to be... which had its ultimate non-payoff in this episode where Neegan recognizes him, and Daryl says he's "nobody"

-I guess the big fancy special effects of the horde plummeting over the cliff was one of the reasons why this episode was so delayed. (it did look cool)

-Eugene's quest for pussy has got to be the dumbest, lowest stakes subplot of the entire series, and that includes the major events of Season 9 being built around whether or not the groups can successfully organize a fair. But at least it led to them introducing a potentially interesting new main character, Princess.

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

I am watching just to see how the show ends. 

I thought Beta would go down in some big fight considering how he and Daryl fought in the abandoned building. It was fitting how he accepted his fate.

Princess seems like a unique character. It's a shame for them to have been in the city for an episode and leave it at that.

I am curious to see what the Commonwealth is about. Hard to look forward to something that has had the same pattern most seasons, or it feels like it anyways.

• Like 1

I see the Walking Dead...  ..Everytime I'm in public.  It's also the only show I watch with any consistency.  I am wondering how this commonwealth thing will go, particularly (in conjunction?) with these Rick Grimes Feature length movies that are supposed to be happening at some point...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, cromag27 said:

i’ve been waiting for them to kill this show off for about 4 seasons now. the end begins tonight!

Err GIF

The end of the Walking Dead was ehhh...

The Walking Dead:  Dead City was different, but still hard to watch due to Maggie and Negan still having issues.

The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon was actually refreshing and unique given it takes place in France. Season two will hopefully be just as neat.

The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live is interesting as Rick and Michonne are back in the picture, but has a format that's already bored me on the first two episodes. The show has some promise for the last 4 episodes.

Still need to catch up with Fear the Walking Dead where we left off Season 3?, Dead in the Water and The World Beyond.

Anyone else still watching?

• Like 1

I haven't watched since the main series ended... I was kind of hoping it would just be over. but I might check out some of these.. Is there any ongoing overarching storyline between these series? or are Dead City/Dary/Ones Who Live self-contained?

6 hours ago, G-type said:

I haven't watched since the main series ended... I was kind of hoping it would just be over. but I might check out some of these.. Is there any ongoing overarching storyline between these series? or are Dead City/Dary/Ones Who Live self-contained?

They definitely have some crossover at some point. Is it necessary to know? Maybe, but I prefer to watch them all to not miss some cool details.

SPOILER ALERT lol

TWD has a character or two hop into Fear. From my understanding TWD has Jadis also be a part of The Ones Who Live which apparently gives more backstory as to what happened with Rick after the bridge. Dead City continues with Maggie and Negan's troubled relationship which is very annoying. Daryl Dixon's show is well, about Daryl and his quest after he leaves The Walkinf Dead at the end and refers back to characters, but nothing crazy I suppose.

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Shout out to the Telltale series, which may as well be another... uh, series

I very much enjoyed it until I hit a glitch that literally would not allow me to move forward in the game. I googled and the suggestion was reinstalling, but it never mentioned if it saved progress and I gave up on it. I may give it another try since by now I'm sure I forgot most of it lol

On 3/8/2024 at 5:31 AM, Mega Tank said:

Dead City continues with Maggie and Negan's troubled relationship which is very annoying.

They seem to be bound and stuck with each other in a twisted sort of way.  Just curious, what aspect is it that you find so annoying?

50 minutes ago, PII said:

They seem to be bound and stuck with each other in a twisted sort of way.  Just curious, what aspect is it that you find so annoying?

Spoiler alert.

What Negan did was awful, but he did it as his position as a leader in the way he saw fit for the sake of maintaining his role of power and keeping people in line. I recently saw the episode when he kills Abraham and Glenn, sure it's brutal, but he did as he said he would and always maintained his word. Rick has done things as well to others that may not be as brutal, but just as bad and has show he can lie to get things his way. Negan after being released from his cell has proven himself time and time again to do things for the greater good. I can't list all at the moment, but he has what some would say redeemed himself and proven his worth. Maggie continues to have the hatred for Negan throughout Dead City after the countless times Negan has stepped up for the communities. Nothing Negan can do will bring back Glenn nor Abraham, but it gets tiring having her harbor the hatred after so long on someone that has saved coutless amounts of people along the way. Not to mention, they go on a mission to save that brat of a kid that can't stand his own mom, Maggie. Negan left to be on his own, but Maggie had to use Negan to try to save her kid. It's jusy silly after a certain point. Also, I think Glenn's last name of Rhee is mentioned in what feels like every episode after a certain point after his death, like give it a rest lol it's like the writers just gave up.

I haven't finished the comics as I am straight up procrastinating, but I know the show has taken liberties in changing storylines etc. Just saying in case the comics are actually following along with the show at this point, which I doubt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

What Negan did was awful, but he did it as his position as a leader in the way he saw fit for the sake of maintaining his role of power and keeping people in line.

SPOILER ALERT

This is true, but I'd argue he also did it because he enjoys brutality.  It's a pretty well established character trait.  He even specifically said that he likes killing people -with a big grin on his face.

the episode when he kills Abraham and Glenn, sure it's brutal, but he did as he said he would and always maintained his word

He does tend to keep his word, but not always - "Half yer shit is what I say it is!"

Rick has done things as well to others that may not be as brutal, but just as bad and has show he can lie to get things his way.

No argument here.

Negan after being released from his cell has proven himself time and time again to do things for the greater good. I can't list all at the moment, but he has what some would say redeemed himself and proven his worth.

He has done a great deal, but I would argue that he has simply done what he needed to survive.  He got out of his cell once and came back on his own because there was nothing out there anymore for him and the only thing he had left was to try and win the trust of his captors who had proven to him that there was a better way to run things.  Someone that evil doesn't change because they get stuck in a cell for seven years.  There would have to be a profound spiritual experience for that.  Yes, I'm impressing reality onto a fictional story, but I'm ok with that.  The Liberian former warlord "General Butt Naked" is a good real life counterpart to make an example.  He's currently a free man pretending to be a really good moral guy because it's the only option he's got left for survival: to bullshit everyone into thinking that he's a changed man at some fundamental level.  The reason I think that's the case with Negan is this: When Maggie came to his cell to kill him, he played her like a violin, boo-hoo-hoo-ing all the way and begging her to kill him so he could be with his wife.  Then after she relents and lets him live because she's been convinced of his suffering w/o his wife, Negan is shown with a sly grin on his face.  He had one card left to play to ensure his survival.  He just had to figure out what it was and then give a masterful performance. 

Maggie continues to have the hatred for Negan throughout Dead City after the countless times Negan has stepped up for the communities. Nothing Negan can do will bring back Glenn nor Abraham, but it gets tiring having her harbor the hatred after so long on someone that has saved coutless amounts of people along the way.

They kind of addressed this at the end of the regular series where Negan tearfully apologizes and she tells him he's earned his place but then tempers it with reminding him that some days she may not be able to look at him... I agree, it does get a little tiring, but then it must take a lot after someone brutally murders your better half right before you're about to have a baby.

Not to mention, they go on a mission to save that brat of a kid that can't stand his own mom, Maggie.

I'll admit it, I found that kids attitude annoying as well.  I guess I just rationalized that he's a teenage kid and thus hates everything including the one person who'd do anything for him...

Negan left to be on his own, but Maggie had to use Negan to try to save her kid. It's jusy silly after a certain point.

I actually thought that was a half-way decent plot point.  The power in New York wanted Negan, knew how dangerous it would be to go after him, and also knew enough about him as well as Maggie to know that kidnapping her child and giving her instructions to deliver Negan in exchange would result in him being willing to team up with her.  Either he truly does feel bad enough to want to right the situation, or he wants to nail the widow bad enough to go for the phony rescue.  He did mention once mention that he intended to make Maggie one of his wives and stated that it was possible to win the affection of a woman right after bludgeoning her husband to death.

Which is where I personally think all this is going.  It seems to me they want to get Negan and Maggie together as a couple, it's just going to take a lot longer than Negan thought and probably be only just-so shocking to the audience by the time it happens.

Also, I think Glenn's last name of Rhee is mentioned in what feels like every episode after a certain point after his death, like give it a rest lol

Couldn't agree more, that got old fast.

Just saying in case the comics are actually following along with the show at this point, which I doubt.

I have no idea on that one.  It is an interesting thought though, that after so long of the show using the comics as source material things become inverted and the comics begin to use the show as its own source material?  For all I know it may have already happened, but if so it'd be new to me.

Anyway, if you've read this far just know it's not my intent to totally pick apart your perspective and ram my own into your skull like a barbed-wire-wrapped baseball bat for the sake of contrariness or something.  I just find it fun to pick things apart in general to see if I can figure what holds water or not.  🙂 

Edited by PII

5 hours ago, PII said:

They kind of addressed this at the end of the regular series where Negan tearfully apologizes and she tells him he's earned his place but then tempers it with reminding him that some days she may not be able to look at him... I agree, it does get a little tiring, but then it must take a lot after someone brutally murders your better half right before you're about to have a baby.

It's the constant reminders of it that feel so unecessary. It has been well established she hates him for quite some time. "Hey Maggue here's some water." Maggie:  "Rhee would never have allowed me to be thirsty for a second." Made up lines, but it's just as silly as what it felt like on the show lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PII said:

Which is where I personally think all this is going.  It seems to me they want to get Negan and Maggie together as a couple, it's just going to take a lot longer than Negan thought and probably be only just-so shocking to the audience by the time it happens.

The show hasn't been "shocking" for quite some time. This show runs things too safe. Glenn's death being faked out twice before finally being killed off for example. After Glenn/Abraham it was basically known all the main characters were safe since their deaths were "too much" for a lot to handle.

I've dragged through this much, may as well see it out. We used to go gome Sundays at 9 to watch, then we just started watching it later in the week lol. This would have made an even better series if it wasn't on AMC, but it's been a good show. Glad it got it got its screentime, just wish the writing would have been better and less emotional once Angela Kang took over. I'm not saying emotions are wrong, it was just simply an abrupt change for the style of the show.

SPOILER ALERT

When we met the cast and crew of The Walking Dead way back during Season 2(?) I asked Greg Nicotero if the zombies would evolve. He said they wanted to keep them lile Romero-type Zombies. It made me laugh during the last season when Negans aw a zombie climb over a barricade or something like that lol It was teased the episode before, but I thought perhaps it was some remaining Whispered still running about. I think it has been a nice touch to have different zombie types in Daryl's show and Tho Ones Who Live. Just wish it had been a little sooner. 

5 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

We used to go gome Sundays at 9 to watch, then we just started watching it later in the week lol. This would have made an even better series if it wasn't on AMC, but it's been a good show. Glad it got it got its screentime, just wish the writing would have been better and less emotional once Angela Kang took over. I'm not saying emotions are wrong, it was just simply an abrupt change for the style of the show.

Yeah, I remember; each new episode used to be an "event" and people were watching the way people used to watch tv where you had to catch it on a particular day at a particular time, not because they had to, but because they were excited enough to want to watch it that way.

I'm not sure offhand when it was exactly that this problem hit a critical mass, but once again, I agree; there came a point where the show got so overly emo-blah-blah-blah, blah, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah, that I'd start to wonder: What the heck am I even watching here?  Is this the biggest, baddest take on Zombie Apocalypse ever or a "very special" Blossom?!

It's good they kept the walkers "Romero Style" as long as they did.  But after the show has been around this long with as many spinoffs as it's had I'm not surprised things have gone the way of evolution.  I'm behind on the Daryl Dixon series, only saw the first couple eps, so gotta catch up....

38 minutes ago, PII said:

It's good they kept the walkers "Romero Style" as long as they did.  But after the show has been around this long with as many spinoffs as it's had I'm not surprised things have gone the way of evolution.  I'm behind on the Daryl Dixon series, only saw the first couple eps, so gotta catch up....

I really liked the change of pace on Daryl's show. Let me know what you think when you're done with it

• Like 1