IGNORED

VGS Homebrew on the Horizon

Scrobins

1 hour ago, matthughson said:

@Scrobins My Mono8 is not a homebrew project (it was a port of the Pico-8 API to C#). 

If his intent was to not include home-made (so to speak) ports of games already extant on other consoles, your game would be far from the only game that would have to be removed from the list...

On 12/9/2020 at 5:23 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

If his intent was to not include home-made (so to speak) ports of games already extant on other consoles, your game would be far from the only game that would have to be removed from the list...

On 12/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, Scrobins said:

Yep I consider it a homebrew as it applies to that console, much like KHAN’s Scramble and Sneak ‘n Peek ports.

Interesting. I don't mind my stuff being on here or anything (happy to have the promotion), but just to be clear...

You consider Pico-8 games to be homebrew? And further-more you consider engines written for PC based on Pico-8 to be homebrew? I've just never been super clear with what Mono8 is, so I wanted to make sure there isn't confusion.

Pico-8: A fantasy console for making, sharing and playing tiny games and other computer programs. It feels like a regular console, but runs on Windows / Mac / Linux.

Mono8: A modern C#/MonoGame game engine written to mimic the functionality of Pico-8 (color palette, code API, etc), but not actually an emulator or anything like that. Basically an engine to create retro-looking games for modern PCs which will feel familiar to Pico-8 developers. It is not a game.

I don't know if my other project Witch n' Wiz is causing confusion, as that is an NES homebrew game which is a port of my Pico-8 game of the same name.

Anyway, I hope I don't come across as second guessing your process (I really appreciate this work you do), I just want help clarify what my project is/isn't.

Moderator · Posted
19 minutes ago, matthughson said:

Mono8: A modern C#/MonoGame game engine written to mimic the functionality of Pico-8 (color palette, code API, etc), but not actually an emulator or anything like that. Basically an engine to create retro-looking games for modern PCs which will feel familiar to Pico-8 developers. It is not a game.

This is where I made a mistake, I must have misread one of your tweets, thinking this was a game. I’ll remove it.

• Thanks 1