IGNORED

Sega CD Collector's Guide version 4.0

final fight cd

• The title was changed to U.S. NTSC Sega CD Collector's Guide version 4.0
  • 5 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, TheArcadeGeek said:

IMG_5464-800x600.JPG

Is that the same registration card that came with the model 1 sega cd? Was that pulled from the book or came separate? Trying to find this darn card to complete my model 1 Sega CD but proving hard to find. Any CIB on Ebay all have the card torn out already or don't have the card at all.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, TheArcadeGeek said:

IMG_5464-800x600.JPG

Is that the same registration card that came with the model 1 sega cd? Was that pulled from the book or came separate? Trying to find this darn card to complete my model 1 Sega CD but proving hard to find. Any CIB on Ebay all have the card torn out already or don't have the card at all.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, Lincoln said:

finally getting around to logging my sega cd stuff. found this archived page with some variant info including pictures of the lunar tss discs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161015103403/http://www.jammaparts.com:80/sega-cd_gameboxvariants.htm

a couple months ago i quit my job, drop thousands, attended a coding bootcamp, and did a complete career change.  in my free time i am currently working on doing a proper site to bring pictures back for all sega cd shit.  doing pictures on a forum is hard.  

will i finish it? probably not.  but maybe one day there will be an unofficial place to look at pretty sega cd pictures. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Sega CD Collector's Guide version 4.0

Ah, it's good to find this thread, migrated from SA. I'm in the process of compiling some information and pairing down my duplicates and have been on the lookout for a copy of that RotD promo copy, but obviously, not as intently as others 😉

I've picked up all of the LRG reprints, however, I haven't opened any of them yet to see if there is any difference in the disc contents.

I have discovered different night trap discs, which may or may not be related to the MA-17 cardboard variant from the original Sega CD branding and a third for the Digital Pictures reprint later. I discovered them separated from any boxes.

There was also a LaserActive music sampler, but I'm not sure if that strictly counts as a Sega CD item.

I also have two discs which claim to be Power Cuts 1, each with different tracks. One came in a normal jewel case, the other with a cardboard sleeve (that was cut to bits by the time it reached me.

I'm (slowly) compiling a lot of Sega CD info, so I'll probably have more to post as time goes on.

Thanks again @final fight cd. Your original thread on SA helped a ton.

disc-alt.jpeg

disc-esrb.jpeg

disc.jpeg

disc-version-1.jpeg

disc-version-2.jpeg

disc.jpeg

30 minutes ago, sulaco said:

Ah, it's good to find this thread, migrated from SA. I'm in the process of compiling some information and pairing down my duplicates and have been on the lookout for a copy of that RotD promo copy, but obviously, not as intently as others 😉

I've picked up all of the LRG reprints, however, I haven't opened any of them yet to see if there is any difference in the disc contents.

I have discovered different night trap discs, which may or may not be related to the MA-17 cardboard variant from the original Sega CD branding and a third for the Digital Pictures reprint later. I discovered them separated from any boxes.

There was also a LaserActive music sampler, but I'm not sure if that strictly counts as a Sega CD item.

I also have two discs which claim to be Power Cuts 1, each with different tracks. One came in a normal jewel case, the other with a cardboard sleeve (that was cut to bits by the time it reached me.

I'm (slowly) compiling a lot of Sega CD info, so I'll probably have more to post as time goes on.

Thanks again @final fight cd. Your original thread on SA helped a ton.

disc-alt.jpeg

disc-version-1.jpeg

disc.jpeg

the first night trap disc you posted is new to me.  Nice! I love finding new things!  so definitely not sure where that fits in, but you probably are correct about it being associated with the ma-17 sticker.  i am looking on ebay right now to see if any are out there haha.  

the laserActive wasn't strictly a sega cd machine and since sega cd is not mentioned on the cd i am not gong to count it.  a line needs to be drawn somewhere.  

i would love to know if any sega cd tracks exist on that blue disc version of power cuts 1.  i'm always looking for officially released music associated with the sega cd.  

On 4/1/2020 at 2:35 PM, TheArcadeGeek said:

After seeing your post a few years back on NA, I have been looking for a copy of the Rise of The Dragon version that you posted about.  Literally looking on eBay every day for one to come up for sale.  Last week it finally happened!  The seller posted an auction and fortunately it went under the radar for the week that it was live and I was able to buy it for the minimum bid for $49!

This was the last "variant" that I was missing for my complete Sega CD set with all known variants.  Since it's a promotional copy, I'm not sure it technically qualifies as a variant, since it was never a retail release.  I still had to have it though!  lol.

His post (screenshot attached) talked about him being a game reviewer back in the day and that's where his promotional copy came from.

Since yours looks to be sealed, here are a few interesting notes on mine.

• It included 2 manuals.  Not 100% sure that the second one is original to the promotional copy though.  The one that is on the outside of the case is actually blank.  It has all the same number of pages as the official manual, and even has the perforation where the registration card would be, but nothing is written on any of the pages.  Tried to take some photos of them.
  • The outside blank manual is slightly larger than the other one that was included.  My "non MA-17" cardboard ROTD is sealed so I can't compare it to the retail release.
  • The game disk is the same as my "MA-17" cardboard copy.

Glad to knock this one out as I finished the variant set about 5 years ago and didn't know that this promotional copy even existed until your post in 2017.  🙂

IMG_5460-800x600.JPG

IMG_5467-800x600.JPG

IMG_5462-800x600.JPG

IMG_5463-800x600.JPG

Rise of Dragon Sega CD Production Copy - eBay Ad 3.23.20.jpg

IMG_5461-800x600.JPG

IMG_5474-800x600.JPG

IMG_5468-800x600.JPG

IMG_5465-800x600.JPG

IMG_5472-800x600.JPG

IMG_5469-800x600.JPG

IMG_5470-800x600.JPG

IMG_5464-800x600.JPG

I have one of those.  My disc is blank on both sides.  Since I got it in a thrift store (a very very long time ago) I have no idea if that was what was originally in it or not.

Looking closer, I think this disc is an 1996 E3 promo for the upcoming Power Cuts 1 CD _and_ the Ecco Songs of Time CD and contains tracks off both. The first four tracks are from Power Cuts 1 and the last 3 are from Ecco Songs of Time. The design on the CD is split between the 

It originally was in a cardboard sleeve, but someone who had it before me cut the cardboard and put the front half in the front of a jewel case, removed one side of the other half and put it in the back of the jewel case.

The Ecco tracks are:

5. The Abyss
6. St. Gabriel's Mask
7. Botswana

• Thanks 1

Joe Montana NFL football was released as a retail release and also a pack-in with the sega cd sports system; the sports system is a model 2.

The retail release manual shows the start up with a model 1, as seen below. 
image.png.60f556b3b6b8f7492093e98ef2d1cb51.png

i am wondering if the pack-in has a different manual that shows the model 2 start up. i've bought 2 joe montana nfl NFR discs + manual on ebay.  they both show the picture above, which makes me believe the manuals are identical for both release, but i am not yet satisfied with my search.

Question: if anybody has joe montana NFR + manual can you kindly take a quick peak?  if anybody can prove a manual exists that shows the model 2 start up i'll give you $100 dollars.  that's a lie. but i will give your comment a reaction!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, final fight cd said:

Unconfirmed Extras
5.) Popful Mail: Magical Fantasy Adventure
-"Attention! Read this first card!" card

This can probably be moved to confirmed, I have a couple copies with the card, and you see them show up on ebay sometimes too.  Here's a picture of it with the game I just pulled from a random listing.
s-l1600.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, xelement5x said:

This can probably be moved to confirmed, I have a couple copies with the card, and you see them show up on ebay sometimes too.  Here's a picture of it with the game I just pulled from a random listing.

so that list of "confirmed"  means that I have opened a sealed copied of said game  and i can 100% confirm that those games came with those specific contents. or they came with nothing.

while i have zero doubt popful mail came with the card I personally have ever opened a sealed copy of popful mail.  or nobody has ever stated in this thread that they remember opening a copy at some point and can clearly remember that the piece of paper is the ONLY item packed with the game. 

but if you opened a copy at some point and can confidently say that popful mail only came with that one paper item and nothing else i will move it to the confirmed list. 

I found something really rare that I don't think anyone cares about, but I don't know where else to post it except SegaAge 2 the Sega CD thread. A JVC service manual for Electronic Book Decoder, which has to be one of the rarest piece of console software ever because this is the only thing my saved search ever hit. It came from a stereo dealer who had a bunch of old JVC manuals.

yJdiGEp.jpeg

Quick album of the contents: https://imgur.com/a/qK6LxXb

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I found something really rare that I don't think anyone cares about, but I don't know where else to post it except SegaAge 2 the Sega CD thread. A JVC service manual for Electronic Book Decoder, which has to be one of the rarest piece of console software ever because this is the only thing my saved search ever hit. It came from a stereo dealer who had a bunch of old JVC manuals.

yJdiGEp.jpeg

Quick album of the contents: https://imgur.com/a/qK6LxXb

nothing gets my juices flowing more than seeing somebody post something in this thread.  you da man.  

• Like 1