IGNORED

The Collector's Quest Podcast

DefaultGen

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, CasualCart said:

Just finished listening to episode 152. Great show as always, dudes.

@Archon 1981 - was this the Star Wars Plug-N-Play that you worked on at Jakks-Pacific? Because I grew up with this thing and that would be amazing.

-CasualCart

864399726_VaderPlugNPlay.jpeg.a4b94d70d39e5dc2f33e4e6154b99644.jpeg

Yep! Also the one that looks like general grievous 

• Wow! 2

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, The Strangest said:

At the end of the latest episode, Johnny says to let you guys know what you got wrong. I know he means in terms of the games that you guys picked, but I am here to let you monsters know that the blue cat’s name in Animal Crossing is Rover. 

Now that we have Raymond, no other cats matter.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Graphics Team · Posted
16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Wow

Stop making me want Famicom versions of games I already have!

Also - I'm the trash with a PAL copy of Little Samson. But it displays nicer with my NES collection, plus my clone-console has a 'PAL' mode to run European games anyway haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

Stop making me want Famicom versions of games I already have!

Also - I'm the trash with a PAL copy of Little Samson. But it displays nicer with my NES collection, plus my clone-console has a 'PAL' mode to run European games anyway haha.

-CasualCart

You really, really don’t have to spend $300 on a Famicom Abadox. There may be one or two cooler things you can buy for 300 freaking dollars.

Like a few copies of Super Mario 3!

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey @Johnny and @DefaultGen just got off listening to the NES vs. Famicom prices discussion, great show!

I just wanted to fill you in a little on the question you guys had about where PAL dudes get their prices from, and let me just say to start with that yeah it IS a bit of a mess... Unlike the relative homogeneity of the US market, the PAL market by it's very nature is completely fragmented. So, in the US you may get a few guest appearances from Canadian or Latin American variants or whatever, but in PAL regions basically it's variant city. Usually what collectors do is they pick a set to focus on, such as UKV for UK collectors, and things outside of that they pick and choose... Unless they're a trash weasel like me and then they just get stuck in and buy whatever! 😉

So, due to the fragmentary nature of the market, the same game can have WILDLY different prices depending on which country you are in when you are making the purchase. For example, Air Boarder 64 is a relatively common and thus cheap game in mainland Europe and Australia, but it is VERY scarce in the UK, so you will be paying basically double for it in the UK compared to the other countries. I believe there are only two versions of Airboarder 64 EUR and AUS codes, no UKV version, so it may not actually have been released officially in the UK, but simply imported. Either way, you are paying a LOT more for the same game, and this is just one example, each country will be paying slightly different prices for the same games depending on distribution and availability... And that's even BEFORE we talk about PAL games that are literally exclusive to one country!!! 😵

So, how do PAL collectors price games? Ebay IS the most obvious resource, but in order to get the best deals you need to go to DIFFERENT versions of Ebay... ebay.co.uk; ebay.fr; ebay.de; ebay.com.au... the list goes on! Many sellers do NOT automatically accept international transactions and these listings will NOT appear in a standard ebay search on Ebay.com. You need to go to the specific country versions of ebay and set your delivery address WITHIN that country, then you can see all the juicy cheap LOCAL listings... 🤤

After that it is the simple process of wrangling with individual sellers to change their settings so you can buy their shit, sometimes in a foreign language, and hey presto!!! Cheap(er) garmez!!!!!!!! 🤩

There is one other thing worth talking about when it comes to pricing games, and this is more specific to the UK. In the UK local market, other than Ebay, by FAR the biggest trend setter when it comes to prices is CEX. CEX is a nationwide used media retailer with storefronts in basically every single town in the UK (and a few other EU countries too). They also have a website with a comprehensive inventory of all their stock, trade-in prices and, of course, sale prices. The great thing about CEX is the range and depth of their stock, plus their prices which are generally in the low-to-reasonable range. Basically, if its in stock at CEX online, that is the base price for games ranging from Atari to current gen for used games, and I know many independent gamestores and sellers who base their prices on the CEX price.

https://uk.webuy.com/

That's basically that really, as far as my experience as a PAL gamer and collector goes. The only real problem with CEX is that you cannot account for condition before you buy, so you take a risk and usually the condition is average at best. You can always return it to the store for a refund tho, but that's a hassle. And, once it's NOT in stock at CEX, then the price for something can shoot up dramatically in gamestores and on Ebay, because it is no longer tethered to the base price, at least that's how it works in the UK market.

Anyway, I hope this long-ass rambling post was worth reading... And also Tyler SHUT UP you DUMB BRAIN!!! 😡 PAL games are awesome and they run fabulously!!! The slowness helps you appreciate their greatness even more!!! And I bought a PAL Samson, and it WASN'T a cheat!!! I'm a PAL collector so I don't NEED your dumb American thousand dollar stinking game, the PAL one IS the REAL one for ME!!!! Maybe I'll buy a Stadium Events with some pocket change next week!!! 😛

Johnny... You're a reasonable man and I agree with your opinions about Star Wars.

Thanks guys!!!! x x x

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

Hey @Johnny and @DefaultGen just got off listening to the NES vs. Famicom prices discussion, great show!

I just wanted to fill you in a little on the question you guys had about where PAL dudes get their prices from, and let me just say to start with that yeah it IS a bit of a mess... Unlike the relative homogeneity of the US market, the PAL market by it's very nature is completely fragmented. So, in the US you may get a few guest appearances from Canadian or Latin American variants or whatever, but in PAL regions basically it's variant city. Usually what collectors do is they pick a set to focus on, such as UKV for UK collectors, and things outside of that they pick and choose... Unless they're a trash weasel like me and then they just get stuck in and buy whatever! 😉

So, due to the fragmentary nature of the market, the same game can have WILDLY different prices depending on which country you are in when you are making the purchase. For example, Air Boarder 64 is a relatively common and thus cheap game in mainland Europe and Australia, but it is VERY scarce in the UK, so you will be paying basically double for it in the UK compared to the other countries. I believe there are only two versions of Airboarder 64 EUR and AUS codes, no UKV version, so it may not actually have been released officially in the UK, but simply imported. Either way, you are paying a LOT more for the same game, and this is just one example, each country will be paying slightly different prices for the same games depending on distribution and availability... And that's even BEFORE we talk about PAL games that are literally exclusive to one country!!! 😵

So, how do PAL collectors price games? Ebay IS the most obvious resource, but in order to get the best deals you need to go to DIFFERENT versions of Ebay... ebay.co.uk; ebay.fr; ebay.de; ebay.com.au... the list goes on! Many sellers do NOT automatically accept international transactions and these listings will NOT appear in a standard ebay search on Ebay.com. You need to go to the specific country versions of ebay and set your delivery address WITHIN that country, then you can see all the juicy cheap LOCAL listings... 🤤

After that it is the simple process of wrangling with individual sellers to change their settings so you can buy their shit, sometimes in a foreign language, and hey presto!!! Cheap(er) garmez!!!!!!!! 🤩

There is one other thing worth talking about when it comes to pricing games, and this is more specific to the UK. In the UK local market, other than Ebay, by FAR the biggest trend setter when it comes to prices is CEX. CEX is a nationwide used media retailer with storefronts in basically every single town in the UK (and a few other EU countries too). They also have a website with a comprehensive inventory of all their stock, trade-in prices and, of course, sale prices. The great thing about CEX is the range and depth of their stock, plus their prices which are generally in the low-to-reasonable range. Basically, if its in stock at CEX online, that is the base price for games ranging from Atari to current gen for used games, and I know many independent gamestores and sellers who base their prices on the CEX price.

https://uk.webuy.com/

That's basically that really, as far as my experience as a PAL gamer and collector goes. The only real problem with CEX is that you cannot account for condition before you buy, so you take a risk and usually the condition is average at best. You can always return it to the store for a refund tho, but that's a hassle. And, once it's NOT in stock at CEX, then the price for something can shoot up dramatically in gamestores and on Ebay, because it is no longer tethered to the base price, at least that's how it works in the UK market.

Anyway, I hope this long-ass rambling post was worth reading... And also Tyler SHUT UP you DUMB BRAIN!!! 😡 PAL games are awesome and they run fabulously!!! The slowness helps you appreciate their greatness even more!!! And I bought a PAL Samson, and it WASN'T a cheat!!! I'm a PAL collector so I don't NEED your dumb American thousand dollar stinking game, the PAL one IS the REAL one for ME!!!! Maybe I'll buy a Stadium Events with some pocket change next week!!! 😛

Johnny... You're a reasonable man and I agree with your opinions about Star Wars.

Thanks guys!!!! x x x

Hey I appreciate your effort in writing up this detailed explanation of a game collecting culture we're unfamiliar with, unfortunately no one cares about stupid PAL games. (jk thank you). This all sounds like a great reason to just stick to Ebay and YAJ and only venture into Europe when absolutely necessary.

Also I apparently bought a bunch of stuff from CeX in 2016 and I obviously do not live in the UK. The prices were outrageous, much of what I bought was between $0.25 and $2 for decent common PSP, PS2, and Wii stuff and IIRC about half of it came complete. Also, all of it shipped separately! So I got dozens of bubble mailers, each with like 1-3 games, sometimes not even totaling $2. So I recognize them at least, looks like they stopped US operations 3 years ago. I sure could use some of that cheap used media love by me. But I mean, not stupid PAL games.

❤️

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the way CEX operates is basically they take trade-ins into the individual stores, and that inventory then enters their online system. Online orders are then processed at the store locations themselves, so if you put in a big order for multiple games, they will be shipped separately from each branch where they took in the game.

Originally, when they first started this system, it completely screwed them in the ass, because online orders would only apply one shipping cost, regardless of how many individual items were mailed. I took huge advantage of this in the early days, as you could buy up to 50 items at a time on their site for like 1.50 total shipping!!!

However, these days it's the opposite, as they charge per item with NO combined shipping at all. Generally their prices are so low that this doesn't matter on a per item basis, but when you look at your total and see like 50 bucks shipping or whatever added on, it's a bit of a nut punch, lol.

Another thing is they will no longer ship to any address, ONLY the address linked to your payment method, so seeing as I now live overseas I need to bother friends and family at home to buy shit for me if I want it, so I usually I just wait till I go back to the UK and buy like a hundred games in one huge bite, lol!

• Thanks 1

Looks like I'm not too late to this party, I wanted to say thank you to @DefaultGen@Johnny and Stefan but since Stefan is on twitter I'll just stick with the cool guys instead. Jokes aside, I really appreciate the three of you taking the time to put together the podcast. I'm not sure if I would say there is a direct correlation between me getting into videogame collecting and listening to the collector's quest but I can say that when I was ready to start collecting I already had a wealth of great tips and tricks thanks to you three. Johnny was actually true to his word and super responsive on instagram about a gamecube collecting question I had and that speaks volumes to me. I also would not have of found this wonderful community as easily as I did had it not been for the three of you that and I'd probably be collecting disc only (ew). So thanks guys, keep up the excellent work!

(Also gimme those deets on the patreon if you're being serious, you guys I'd gladly contribute financially towards if it helps you out.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 6:58 PM, hardstyletoaster said:

Looks like I'm not too late to this party, I wanted to say thank you to @DefaultGen@Johnny and Stefan but since Stefan is on twitter I'll just stick with the cool guys instead. Jokes aside, I really appreciate the three of you taking the time to put together the podcast. I'm not sure if I would say there is a direct correlation between me getting into videogame collecting and listening to the collector's quest but I can say that when I was ready to start collecting I already had a wealth of great tips and tricks thanks to you three. Johnny was actually true to his word and super responsive on instagram about a gamecube collecting question I had and that speaks volumes to me. I also would not have of found this wonderful community as easily as I did had it not been for the three of you that and I'd probably be collecting disc only (ew). So thanks guys, keep up the excellent work!

(Also gimme those deets on the patreon if you're being serious, you guys I'd gladly contribute financially towards if it helps you out.)

I appreciate the kind words and I do my best to respond to people, even if I am very slow, especially here on VGS.

We were serious about the Patreon, it is up and running. https://www.patreon.com/CollectorsQuest

• Thanks 1