IGNORED

VGS Homebrew Almanac

Scrobins

Moderator · Posted

Mega Cat is doing something interesting. The individual games are not open for order yet, but they are offering limited edition holiday 3-packs for the NES and Genesis with the games below.

Meow You're Playing With Power Gift Box (NES): Machine Cave, Multidude, Super Painter Available here

Blast Processing Is For Lovers Gift Box (Genesis): Devwill Too, Misplaced, Old Towers Available here

(update: these Mega Cat games available individually now too)

Edited by Scrobins

On 12/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, Scrobins said:

Interesting offer from Analogue, an exclusive Genesis chiptune cart from Hyperdub that is bundled with a model of the Mega Sg.

https://www.analogue.co/editions/hyperdub-mega-sg/

This looks great. It is just announced? I don't see where to purchase it

EDIT. Nevermind I see it was a bundle. Sad day. 

Edited by TylerBarnes

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, TylerBarnes said:

This looks great. It is just announced? I don't see where to purchase it

EDIT. Nevermind I see it was a bundle. Sad day. 

Yeah and the bundle itself has sold out. But as I had hoped, some people are unbundling it and selling off the chiptune cart separately on eBay and the like. I picked one up that way.

19 minutes ago, Scrobins said:

Yeah and the bundle itself has sold out. But as I had hoped, some people are unbundling it and selling off the chiptune cart separately on eBay and the like. I picked one up that way.

What keywords are you using?  I don't see anything while using the 'Konsolation' keyword.. 

Moderator · Posted
Just now, TylerBarnes said:

What keywords are you using?  I don't see anything while using the 'Konsolation' keyword.. 

I used “konsolation” with “hyperdub”. Most of the time the whole bundle pops up, but earlier this week, one seller offered up just the cart. I’m sure a few more will pop up in the next few weeks.

Hello all! I know some of you on Twitter and the NESmaker community,  but finally joined VGS thanks to a tweet about documenting homebrew games led me here. I'm happy to see my little Turtle Rescue game get listed. If I may make a few clarifications, only for completeness and accuracy sake.  I made three small run physical pre releases for Turtle Rescue. 

"Turtle Rescue: Unhatched DX" was an updated ROM of my Byte-off demo and limited to 13 grey cartridges and was sold via the NESmaker Facebook group and live in Syracuse NY.

"Turtle Rescue: Unhatched Limited Edition" was a slightly different ROM than the above and produced with sand painted cartridges with 7 one of a kind labels. Six were given away while one copy of LE was sold on eBay to raise money towards helping real life sea turtles.

Finally "Turtle Rescue: Unwrapped" is a complete holiday reskined ROM in a clear red cartridge. 16 have been sold so far, and technically still available,  but I wasn't going to solicit more orders until the next holidays.

Thanks for the hard work in creating and maintaining this list!

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted

Welcome @TurtleRescueNES! Glad to have you here. I managed to get a copy of your game through Zi in Syracuse and I’ve enjoyed playing it. You raise a good point I’ve been putting off: whether and how to catalog variants.

My thinking so far has been to note variants where there is something different in the game itself but not include variants that are the same game with different cartridge designs. For example with regard to Commie Killer, I included the Wittenhagen variant because the head and vocal sound effect for beating a level is different but I don’t include variants such as the KHan variant because it appears to be the same game as the original but with a little picture of Kevin in the corner of the label.

Is the gameplay different across the 3 versions of Turtle Rescue you listed? If so I’ll definitely make that update to my list.

And as always was I’d love to hear how others feel about treating variants on this thread.

Edited by Scrobins
  • Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

@TurtleRescueNES Welcome To VGS,  glad you made it here.  We are working to expand the homebrew footprint here.  More events, information, and community participation.  I hope you stick around and become involved in anyway you can.  

Checkout the current event here: https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/2910-homebrew-leader-board-competition-2020-game-3-jammin-honey/

Overall competition: https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1577-hblbc-2020-homebrew-leader-board-competition-2020-announcement/

and the general leader board: https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1204-homebrew-leaderboard/

Thank you both for the welcome!

Syracuse was such an exciting weekend for me. Not only selling the first copies of Unhatched, but also being able to receive my Byte-Off trophy in person. I remember being told many times that someone was looking for me to buy my game, which was so surreal to me.

Unhatched DX and LE are almost identical to one another. LE has a slightly different title screen, and a couple in game text boxes make reference to being limited edition. Otherwise, the games are identical. So yes, those can be variants. 

Unwrapped was called a hack of my own game in the Game Beaters review on YouTube. That's a good way of putting it. I feel like the Unwrapped holiday game is different enough to be it's own entry.

Neither game is the "real" Turtle Rescue.  That game is still in development. I'm working on breaking out of my confort zone and seeing what I can do with the NESmaker tool to make my game stand out. I'll never be groundbreaking,  but I do strive to make a game worth standing next to the others listed above.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KHAN Games said:

8BIT XMAS 19 is no longer available.

NEScape! has one more copy available, then it'll be out of stock.

Thanks for continuing this list.

On your page or says the regular edition is sold out. Is the "one more copy available" mentioned above the limited edition, or was it the regular edition, which has thus subsequently been sold?

This game has always interested me, Ive got little "play money" at the moment, but if it's still around in a month, I'll give it a go