IGNORED

Limited Run Games

58 minutes ago, Californication said:

I'm a fan of Final Doom, but isn't it mostly a mash-up of Doom 1 and 2?

Sure, but it fits better as a collection with 1 and 2 compared to 3.  Or hell, just put them all together in a package.  

Now that this is coming out, I'm really regretting not getting Doom 64.  It didn't occur to me that I would be able to get everything on PS4.  

59 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Sure, but it fits better as a collection with 1 and 2 compared to 3.  Or hell, just put them all together in a package.  

Now that this is coming out, I'm really regretting not getting Doom 64.  It didn't occur to me that I would be able to get everything on PS4.  

My copies of Doom 64 and Ion Fury just arrived.

Doom is a bit of a mixed bag. The base level demons look odd and their fire balls are too slow. The environment looks really good imo. The enemies don't always interact well with the environment. Oh and the flaming heads are perfect, they're  mean little bastards that can take you out fairly quick.

I wouldn't pay whatever they're asking on ebay. I might sell my copy after beating it.

I'm actually enjoying Ion Fury more even though it has little issues too.

Edit: would have been nice if they put Sigil on there. I thought I read the digital version had Final Doom and Sigil patches.

Edited by Californication

12 minutes ago, Californication said:

My copies of Doom 64 and Ion Fury just arrived.

Doom is a bit of a mixed bag. The base level demons look odd and their fire balls are too slow. The environment looks really good imo. The enemies don't always interact well with the environment. Oh and the flaming heads are perfect, they're  mean little bastards that can take you out fairly quick.

I wouldn't pay whatever they're asking on ebay. I might sell my copy after beating it.

I'm actually enjoying Ion Fury more even though it has little issues too.

Edit: would have been nice if they put Sigil on there. I thought I read the digital version had Final Doom and Sigil patches.

Yeah, I would never pay more than the original price for it.  Plus, there is always a chance another publisher might do it.  Some of the more popular games get a double dip with another publisher.  I'm not really looking to play it so much as it would be cool to just have all of the Doom games on one platform.  I can always play it on N64 if I want.  

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Pricey!

Doom-Trilogy-Mock-Up-Market-Banner-CE-SW

I definitely it's pricy.  I like the idea of the shadow box, but since it's the only thing added to the CE over the SE, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.  If they included an art book, I would be all over it.  That's the best way to get me to spend more money on a special or collector's edition.  Throw in an art book and I will always pick it up.  

I'm definitely ordering the game, I just need to decide which version I want to get.   

Warlock is going to be a limited release tomorrow with no limit on purchases. Nervous I won't be able to grab one. If anyone is ordering and can add an extra copy to their order, I'll pay double. I don't want to get stuck on this one.

Edit: Woo hoo - I got it. It was pretty easy too. Apparently people dgaf abouy ps4 games the same as switch.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Californication said:

Warlock is going to be a limited release tomorrow with no limit on purchases. Nervous I won't be able to grab one. If anyone is ordering and can add an extra copy to their order, I'll pay double. I don't want to get stuck on this one.

Edit: Woo hoo - I got it. It was pretty easy too. Apparently people dgaf abouy ps4 games the same as switch.

I think thats the case, once the switch took off the scalpers started to leave LRG playstation releases alone. Nintendo fans are much more eager to feed into the limited availability thing vs PS fans. Im sure that’s part of it

Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I think thats the case, once the switch took off the scalpers started to leave LRG playstation releases alone. Nintendo fans are much more eager to feed into the limited availability thing vs PS fans. Im sure that’s part of it

Ya. I'm kind of second guessing whether I made the right decision to go in on the PS4 instead of Switch, but it's pretty much too late to turn around if I wanted to.

It is kind of cool that so many of the quantity runs are smaller or much smaller than the Switch releases though.

11 hours ago, Californication said:

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Nintendo fans are very different from Sony fans and LRG acknowledged that by going with the open pre-order system for all (or nearly all, I can't remember) Switch games.  They knew that going with low print runs on Switch games would not go over well for them.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Nintendo fans are very different from Sony fans and LRG acknowledged that by going with the open pre-order system for all (or nearly all, I can't remember) Switch games.  They knew that going with low print runs on Switch games would not go over well for them.  

Rumor has it that it was Nintendo that required that from them, or something to that affect.

6 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Rumor has it that it was Nintendo that required that from them, or something to that affect.

I don't like playing into rumor much, but knowing Nintendo I actually would not be surprised if they did that.  They're known factually to not be pleased with undefined targets and very low runs of stuff when they can see a profit in it.  Typically they're not willing to do a run under 10K games historically speaking.  I imagine one way around it would be to allow the 2-4wk window because they can definitely fill them, plus up to the nearest 1K to make sure anything is run out.  By just doing something well under what Nintendo allows, it would be an issue for them.   I think that may largely be why you rarely see Switch games, at least in the US, be allowed to go under a specific minimum so these dumb closed buy now or screw you tactics came to an end.

I just popped an order for DOOM1-3, that's a must.  I'll be happy if it shows up sooner than later, yet ticked off entirely if it beats out my 6 month old order on Doom 64+Shantae GBC. >:[

Curious how Doom holds up today? I was never into FPS games, although I played a little bit of Doom years and years ago... including a very special VR edition of Doom (but that's a different story 🙂

Anyway, can anyone comment on whether Doom I, II, and especially III would still be fun today for someone that's not a big FPS player?

Also, I'm curious how many of these they will sell across platforms? I venture to guess somewhere between 10,000-100,000 order of magnitude.

I'm not big on Doom 3 or even Doom 2, but Doom 1 absolutely "holds up", it's still one of my favourite games in the genre. The level design is very well thought through, and utilizes the first person perspective (at the time a novelty) to create interesting scenarios and challenges.