IGNORED

Wampus (NES Homebrew) Available

johnvanderhoef

Hey all!

I just wanted to let everybody know that my NES homebrew game Wampus is now available to download for free!

https://johnvanderhoef.itch.io/wampus

Wampus is an overhead arcade narrative adventure game. 

Wampus takes place in the world of Irata, first introduced in the obscure economic simulator game M.U.L.E in 1983.

Irata is a planet invaded by colonialists farming and mining the land for its natural resources. These resource-stripping activities threaten the local flora and fauna, especially the Mountain Wampus, who get hunted for their treasure.

As a young wampus, players set out to rid Irata of the settler invaders and restore harmony to the land. While a fun lark, Wampus explores themes of environmentalism, conservationism, stewardship of the land, and the destructive nature of colonialism.

Wampus takes 40-60 minutes to complete, depending on skill and experience.

Cheers!

Edited by johnvanderhoe
  • Like 6

Hey Scrobins. I reached out to Paul at INL, but he didn't get back to me. I want to do a run of the game, but it'll probably have to wait until early next year. I'd rather go through a publisher like INL, especially since I'm sourcing my carts from him anyway. But one way or another, there will be a run of Wampus carts. I'm bias, but I love the game. I play through it once a week (if I can make it to the end!).

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
47 minutes ago, johnvanderhoe said:

Hey Scrobins. I reached out to Paul at INL, but he didn't get back to me. I want to do a run of the game, but it'll probably have to wait until early next year. I'd rather go through a publisher like INL, especially since I'm sourcing my carts from him anyway. But one way or another, there will be a run of Wampus carts. I'm bias, but I love the game. I play through it once a week (if I can make it to the end!).

I look forward to it! Paul is the man, which puts him in high demand so he's probably busy with current orders. In the meantime congrats on this awesome game!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 2:39 AM, dale_coop said:

I love Wampus , it's a nice game. I think some impvrments could be done (graphics for exemple, to be less "NESmaker-ish") 😉

I get what you're saying, Dale. But if it ain't broke... The assets used from NESMaker work -- part of using programs like NESMaker or RPG Maker, etc., is to streamline production, including art. Wampus also has A TON of original art and assets. Enemies. Bosses. The town. The pub. The mountains. The swamp. The colosseum. Space pirate ship. I could go on. Focusing on a tree sprite or a dungeon tile is kind of reductive, but I understand the sentiment.

Hey all. I will be doing a small run of Wampus carts based on demand soon.

You'll get a game cart with original label and a black NES dust sleeve. Because of shipping, these will be $35.

If you think you might be interested in getting one, send me a PM. I want to get an idea of how many to produce.

Otherwise, feel free to enjoy the ROM.

I played through a little bit of this, managed to kill a few mules. A few questions:

- Does loot do anything?

- I got the powerup to "throw coins" -- are these supposed to be related to loot?

- I got the next powerup about recovering coins, but I didn't understand what that meant.

- Are you able to do anything about the flickery transitions between screens, or the slowdown that occurs if I throw too many coins at once?

Thanks for making this a free download!

Hey Gauauu,

1. Loot doesn't do anything. Just a "score" to keep track of if you want. I thought about getting rid of it, but it fits the theme of the world.

2. I didn't want to limit coin throwing to loot picked up.

3. There isn't actually another power-up after that projectile. It's just collecting the treasure stolen by the settlers.

4. Not sure about the flickery transition. It's random. The slow down is a consequence of having four enemies on the screen and projectiles flying. It's best to think of it as a feature, not a bug -- since you kind of enter bullet time when things are flying on screen. The final boss battle is like this, but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

There are only TWO Wampus carts remaining. These are very rare. There are under 15 copies in circulation. Some of you have one (two of you), while the others are in the hands of my close friends. But I have two more to sell if anybody is interested.

This will never be a high-production cart. If you want a piece of NES history (and a good one, I might add), you should snap this up in a hurry.

$35 for a cart and dust sleeve.

A great game, guaranteed.

Message me if you have interest.

Edited by johnvanderhoe

• 3 weeks later...