IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest Suggestions Thread!!!

guillavoie

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

2021 number of genres was experimental and we won't be doing that many genres again.

Also, I have now fully recovered from Covid and will be able to resume with my duties regarding the weekly contest.

holy shit!  Glad you are ok, hopefully not too bad on you, but glad to hear you recovered.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@mbd39 Have you played the Famicom version of Yie Ar Kung Fu? I tried it after I suggested it and it isn't very good. The hit detection is bad and there are only five enemies that loop forever. It is almost Karate Champ bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Galaxian next season though. Maybe even @docile tapeworm would play that week. Devil World might be a fun game too, even though I don't seem to be any good at it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

31 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@mbd39 Have you played the Famicom version of Yie Ar Kung Fu? I tried it after I suggested it and it isn't very good. The hit detection is bad and there are only five enemies that loop forever. It is almost Karate Champ bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Galaxian next season though. Maybe even @docile tapeworm would play that week. Devil World might be a fun game too, even though I don't seem to be any good at it.

I have played it.

The earlier ROM version has a glitch where you can freeze enemies in place with repeated jump kicks. I was able to keep playing until eventually the game crashed. This is fixed in the later ROM revision.

I agree it's not great, but okay for the contests as long as everyone has the correct ROM version.  Yie Ar Kung Fu was my favorite arcade game as a kid.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I have played it.

The earlier ROM version has a glitch where you can freeze enemies in place with repeated jump kicks. I was able to keep playing until eventually the game crashed. This is fixed in the later ROM revision.

I agree it's not great, but okay for the contests as long as everyone has the correct ROM version.  Yie Ar Kung Fu was my favorite arcade game as a kid.

I have version 1.4 which is the updated one. The arcade version was a favorite of mine, but I thought the Famicom version was a bit disappointing. Besides only having 5 opponents, the hit detection seems pretty bad. I could punch or kick through the other fighter, but they seemed to always hit me. I played Spartan X 2 this morning. I missed it during the contest, but I enjoyed it, although it was really easy. I literally beat it the first time I played it.