IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest Suggestions Thread!!!

guillavoie

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RHso with the cyclist analogy… it’s not necessarily the best cyclist but the best cyclist with access to the best equipment.

can you look at code without a computer? That’s my other issue so now i need a computer and learn how to look at code to be on the same field? 

Am I the only one who would like to have everyone on the same field? The sandlot. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone was essentially playing the game with a controller and a screen, nothing else? 

I’ll ride a Walmart bike and let you ride one of my bikes in a race…. I will still kick your ass.

Come to Colorado and give it a go. I’ll even not ride for a month while you train for a month. 
You can ride a super nice road bike and I’ll ride a fucking garbage Walmart mountain bike. 
Hell…. I’ll even ride a child’s bike…

😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Am I the only one who would like to have everyone on the same field? The sandlot. Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone was essentially playing the game with a controller and a screen, nothing else? 

I've always felt this way.  I wish it was Control Deck, controller in your hand and a CRT in front of you, but it's 2022 and 95% of these guys "play NES" (if you can call it that) on their PC's, so what can you do... 😞

At the end of the day, I'd rather have higher participation, even if that means I'm competing against a bunch of "I'll only save-state this one time, because I know I can get this far anyway" style of modern NES gamers...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richardhead said:

@0xDEAFC0DE keep reading that code dammit! 
Isn’t there some saying aboot teaching a person to fish to eat forever? Maybe just tell people to go learn some stuff 😜

Bea used to kick everyone’s ass reading code and breaking games. 

Only real issue with code-reading, as it pertains to this competition, is that the puzzle category is a 100% walkover for one of the participants, stymying both interest and participation to the point where I'm wondering why even bother having that category anymore?  Just give deafcode a lifetime winner award and be done with it...

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Only real issue with code-reading, as it pertains to this competition, is that the puzzle category is a 100% walkover for one of the participants, stymying both interest and participation to the point where I'm wondering why even bother having that category anymore?  Just give deafcode a lifetime winner award and be done with it...

Why can’t you learn to read code ? 
I don’t have the time, but I don’t bash the people that do(unless they are hanging out with me in person).  If you really wanna win…… got for it. Learn something new.

New year , new you? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've always felt this way.  I wish it was Control Deck, controller in your hand and a CRT in front of you, but it's 2022 and 95% of these guys "play NES" (if you can call it that) on their PC's, so what can you do... 😞

At the end of the day, I'd rather have higher participation, even if that means I'm competing against a bunch of "I'll only save-state this one time, because I know I can get this far anyway" style of modern NES gamers...

I prefer playing on real hardware but there's no way that I own every NES game or have an Everdrive. Plus the Everdrive has save states too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He couldn't crack Tetris which shows what a bad ass game Nintendo Tetris still is. The only way to get a high score is with skills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

I’ll ride a Walmart bike and let you ride one of my bikes in a race…. I will still kick your ass.

Come to Colorado and give it a go. I’ll even not ride for a month while you train for a month. 
You can ride a super nice road bike and I’ll ride a fucking garbage Walmart mountain bike. 
Hell…. I’ll even ride a child’s bike…

😁

There’s no doubt in my mind, that in that exact scenario… you would eat my dust. 

16 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

@0xDEAFC0DE keep reading that code dammit! 
Isn’t there some saying aboot teaching a person to fish to eat forever? Maybe just tell people to go learn some stuff 😜

Bea used to kick everyone’s ass reading code and breaking games. 

When I realized she was reading code I….. it’s just not as impressive 😂

17 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Why can’t you learn to read code ? 
I don’t have the time, but I don’t bash the people that do(unless they are hanging out with me in person).  If you really wanna win…… got for it. Learn something new.

New year , new you? 

I can’t read. How am I gonna learn to read code? Plus I don’t mean to bash people to who read code. Read code/use game genie. No hate.

Events Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Battle kid 2. I choose Battle kid 2! Not sure what kind of rules. @JamesRobotmight have a decent idea though. 
Also, this typing in an extra s to the website blows. 

I was just thinking about this and I think a furthest progression might work for any mode.  Or on the bonus levels.

BUT, the Battle Kids have been discontinued on retroUSB.  Looks like there's no way to purchase either one right now.  And they're going for a pretty penny on the ebays.  

2 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I was just thinking about this and I think a furthest progression might work for any mode.  Or on the bonus levels.

BUT, the Battle Kids have been discontinued on retroUSB.  Looks like there's no way to purchase either one right now.  And they're going for a pretty penny on the ebays.  

Can the ROM be purchased?  I'd pay ten bucks for a ROM so I could make my own cart, but I wouldn't pay a ton on eBay for a legit one.  I guess as long as the Battle Kids are in the regular season and not the post season tourney, so if someone has no access to them, it's not as big a deal...

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I prefer playing on real hardware but there's no way that I own every NES game or have an Everdrive. Plus the Everdrive has save states too.

You should get an everdrive. You love nintender games. I know you prob own cards of your favorites. But it’s handy for the contests. 

Events Team · Posted
42 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Can the ROM be purchased?  I'd pay ten bucks for a ROM so I could make my own cart, but I wouldn't pay a ton on eBay for a legit one.  I guess as long as the Battle Kids are in the regular season and not the post season tourney, so if someone has no access to them, it's not as big a deal...

No dice.  Sivak doesn't have a website as far as I know.  Pretty sure the rom is pretty ubiquitous online but I wouldn't want to go that rout without explicit consent for tournament use.  

Some other homebrew would be good.  Bladebuster!

Freely available from the source here.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think the larger reason is that most people just don't care for NES puzzle games (with the exception of tetris). Like, even in the tourney no one wanted to pick Kero Kero (which is a great game btw) even though they didn't have to face me (except Wiz who did it as a wildcard pick against Bert). And neither of their scores came that close to mine despite it being one of the simpler puzzle games we've had. Even the first puzzle game I played in these contests (Yoshi's Cookie), I more than doubled second place (which would have been first the last time it was played) and that was with no ROM peeking.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

He couldn't crack Tetris which shows what a bad ass game Nintendo Tetris still is. The only way to get a high score is with skills.

True. So many people have mad skills at Tetris. 

I've actually looked at the code before I even competed for a personal project, so I already knew the RNG was unmanipulatable. It updates every frame. Although, fun fact the version of tetris in the NWC cart is RNG manipulatable (based off of the Mario score or something IIRC).

44 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

You should get an everdrive. You love nintender games. I know you prob own cards of your favorites. But it’s handy for the contests. 

I can back this up. I enjoy it a lot more playing through my real NES and no way in hell am I going to buy all the games in the competition.

10 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I think the larger reason is that most people just don't care for NES puzzle games (with the exception of tetris). Like, even in the tourney no one wanted to pick Kero Kero (which is a great game btw) even though they didn't have to face me (except Wiz who did it as a wildcard pick against Bert). And neither of their scores came that close to mine despite it being one of the simpler puzzle games we've had. Even the first puzzle game I played in these contests (Yoshi's Cookie), I more than doubled second place (which would have been first the last time it was played) and that was with no ROM peeking.

Okay, action puzzlers it is!  We've got Tetris and Krazy Kreatures that I can think of; if there are two more out there then we can conspire against you and I'll take the puzzle crown for myself... 😉