IGNORED

NES Solstice Collection Guy Checking In

Jmason333 (The NES Solstice Collection Guy) checking in form the ruins of a site once frequented. Looks good in here. Will flesh out my profile and eventually post up a new Solstice Historic Project update/progress thread. The online Museum for Solstice is still slated for June 2020 release (to mark the game's 30th Anniversary).

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

15 minutes ago, Jmason333 said:

Jmason333 (The NES Solstice Collection Guy) checking in form the ruins of a site once frequented. Looks good in here. Will flesh out my profile and eventually post up a new Solstice Historic Project update/progress thread. The online Museum for Solstice is still slated for June 2020 release (to mark the game's 30th Anniversary).

spacer.png

I followed your NintendoAge thread and your Facebook page - I love your collection, dude! It's inspirational and, honestly, just so freakin' cool. I'd like my Sky Kid collection to reach these sort of levels one day. Amazing.

Glad you're here! Keep us updated!!

I got to thinking about you and your collection last week or thereabouts, and I was curious if you have anything on your thoughts or experiences with the game from a player's perspective? Is it one of your favorites, or was the collection born from something else like finding a rare piece related to it (which is perfectly fine of course!)?

15 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Awesome collection! Are there any NTSC box variants for Solstice? I see a lot of copies there and I'm always looking for variants.

Thanks! I have all nine region variants for Solstice including Famicom, as far I as I know there's only the one CSG Imagesoft/NTSC box. This photo is about two years old, so a lot of stuff is missing. I also have 2 of the non-US releases sealed and cased and graded (FRA/ITA). Always looking for sealed copies I don't have! 🙂

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SoleGoose said:

I got to thinking about you and your collection last week or thereabouts, and I was curious if you have anything on your thoughts or experiences with the game from a player's perspective? Is it one of your favorites, or was the collection born from something else like finding a rare piece related to it (which is perfectly fine of course!)?

I always enjoyed it as a kid, and though the intro music was mind-blowing, but it never was one of my "favorites" - though it was a favorite. I was (and still am pretty much) an jRPG fan. My Dragon Quest collection dwarfs the Solstice collection. 

What started me down the "Solstice Path" was actually when Mike Winterbauer (the artist who created the cover art) ran a Kickstarter for his Classic Video Games Art book. One of the pledge levels included some neat stuff like an art print and an original print/press proof unfolded print of the box. I backed it, started talking to Mike and decided to grab a VGA graded cased copy of the game to frame along with it... found Jason's Solstice prototype for sale at the point... "Oh, this would be neat to add as well" and bought it... and then sometime in the coming days (I don't quite remember when) decided to go all in and try-to-do-all-the-things. 😄

When I take something on I don't do small. Literally, no matter what it is -- go big or go home. 😄 Just an off (remotely related example) I recently started collecting for one of my favorite card games that is also retro-gaming themed, "Boss  Monster"... started with the base set... now I have this:

spacer.png

Side note: I might have problems. 😄

Edited by Jmason333
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

I followed your NintendoAge thread and your Facebook page - I love your collection, dude! It's inspirational and, honestly, just so freakin' cool. I'd like my Sky Kid collection to reach these sort of levels one day. Amazing.

Glad you're here! Keep us updated!!

Thanks so much! It's been a blast tracking all this old stuff down. I'm excited to get the virtual museum up and running next year. In addition to the "stuff" in the collection, the amount of info I've gathered through years of talking with the folks who made it, marketed it, helped to designed it, etc. is massive. It will be fun to bring the history/story of the game back to the forefront from being lost to time. Who knows, maybe one day I'll even track down the original art as well (hoping)!

35 minutes ago, Jmason333 said:

Thanks so much! It's been a blast tracking all this old stuff down. I'm excited to get the virtual museum up and running next year. In addition to the "stuff" in the collection, the amount of info I've gathered through years of talking with the folks who made it, marketed it, helped to designed it, etc. is massive. It will be fun to bring the history/story of the game back to the forefront from being lost to time. Who knows, maybe one day I'll even track down the original art as well (hoping)!

I am really looking forward to it! 😃

17 minutes ago, RH said:

Pretty awesome!  What's special about the box flattened in the frame?  Just curious.

Thanks! It's an original never-folded artists press proof of the box provided by the original artist, Mike Winterbauer. He had several left over in his studio and sent me one. He even signed it and provided documented provenance for it. He also sent an original Winter CES Solstice handbill/flyer he had as well (the one with the long prose telling the story about the game's backstory). Really great guy, fun to talk to, and very knowledgeable.