IGNORED

Beat the PS2 Library!

Jeevan

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice.  Some day I'll get to my copies of Eternal Ring and Evergrace.  Some day...

Don't worry, it only took me 22 years 😆

Btw, I had a similar experience with GunGriffon myself. I bought it at launch, but didn't seriously try to beat it until 2010 and got stuck on the last level. Haven't touched it since. I remember the controls were definitely a challenge, even way back then.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

2A1A3F60-02F5-4E64-BB49-C00DC18654AE.jpeg.93a4f6bc6d40163fdb5d6f09e59a1521.jpeg

Game was good. Probably not quite great; they come up with some neat ideas but it never feels that special for long. Jak has a neat moveset though. Probably beats Mario Sunshine as far as Gen 6 Collectathons go. Upper 7/10

I also beat Sly Cooper 1 last weekend but it was through the PS3 collection so I assume it doesn’t count?

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
On 11/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

2A1A3F60-02F5-4E64-BB49-C00DC18654AE.jpeg.93a4f6bc6d40163fdb5d6f09e59a1521.jpeg

Game was good. Probably not quite great; they come up with some neat ideas but it never feels that special for long. Jak has a neat moveset though. Probably beats Mario Sunshine as far as Gen 6 Collectathons go. Upper 7/10

I also beat Sly Cooper 1 last weekend but it was through the PS3 collection so I assume it doesn’t count?

i have this as the first one, is this correct?????

Events Helper · Posted

Updated and changed the leaderboard to reflect completions for competitiveness.......

cj_robot            9
MagusSmurf    2
Gloves              2
Mr. Peapod       1
ikk                     1
Reed                 1

@cj_robot @MagusSmurf @Gloves @MrPeaPod @ikk @Reed Rothchild

Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly

This probably has the most fun combat I’ve played in a traditional survival horror (faint praise I suppose?) and is good-to-great in general and an improvement over the first game but I don’t think it excels otherwise and I prefer REmake and SH1-3 as total packages. The biggest issue on its own terms is probably the difficulty. Way too easy.

8/10

48D0702B-AD2E-4C2F-8A3D-1E582A15BBC0.jpeg

some obscure game called god of war, you’ve probably never heard of it.56D2B141-972D-4444-899C-55AFCBCD6F3F.jpeg.507a68cd97de3f857b84d577d45a3206.jpeg

Upper 7/10 I guess. The combat was pretty fun but I don’t like strict pass/fail rapid button mashing in, like, basically any game, there were so few bosses, and there was probably a bit too much slow block pushing. I appreciated the variety the platforming and puzzles generally brought though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Airborne Troops: Countdown to D-Day.

I was expecting a bland, generic WWII shooter. What I got was even worse. Terrible controls and annoying enemy respawns made this game a not very fun experience. Oh well. I couldn't even get a picture of the ending because it was a video that lasted all of ten seconds, so I just grabbed a pic of level select showing all of the complete.

IMG_20230107_210345~2.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Getaway: Black Monday.

Honestly, I was surprised at how bad this game was. On the surface, it looks like it has some very high production value, with nice graphics and character models (for a PS2 game, anyway), and excellent voice acting. It's all style and no substance, though. Controls are frustrating, there's no camera control, and there's a surprising lack of freedom as to what you can do in the game. Apparently, the developers actually recreated a portion of real-life London in the game, but there's absolutely nothing to do in the city other than drive around, and playing through the main game never even gives you an actual opportunity to explore anyway, so what was even the point? Oh well, on to the next game.

IMG_20230119_234740~2.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished Suikoden IV.

The game was OK. The game starts off real slow, and I'm glad I listened to one review that said it gets better if you stick with it, but even still I didn't think it was great. The visuals were definitely a disappointment for me, being such a fan of the original two games' 2D art style. The story is nothing special either and it's pretty short for a RPG. It's really the most fun when you're actually doing the Suikoden thing: exploring the world to recruit characters, watching your headquarters grow, checking out all the mini-games, etc. 

IMG_20230305_142356.jpg

IMG_20230305_142431.jpg

• Like 1

I have a question that I think is worth discussing.

Has anyone given any thought to whether you can play an HD remaster of a game on a different console and allow it to count as "beating the PS2 version?"  To clarify, I'm only referring to HD remasters of PS2 games and not remakes or ports.  

Here is one example.  I just recently finished Tomb Raider Legend and I'm almost finished with Tomb Raider Anniversary.  Both of these games were remastered for the PS3 and were carried over pretty much identically, save for a few bonus items such as trophy support.  For the record, I'm playing these games on my PS2.  However, in my mind, I feel it wouldn't be a problem to play the HD remasters on PS3 since it's essentially the exact same experience other than slightly better visuals.  I will continue my same example with Tomb Raider Underworld.  The PS2 game is a port of the PS3 version and is a very different game.  In this situation, I believe that completing the PS3 version would NOT count towards completing the PS2 library.  

Shadow of the Colossus has already been completed, but it's a good example.  It was remastered for the PS3 and I would argue that it was basically the same game, so I would argue the PS3 version could count.  However, it was also REMADE for the PS4.  Since the PS4 version was rebuilt from the ground up, I would argue that it doesn't count towards completing the PS2 library.

Maybe this would just open up a can of worms and isn't worth the discussion.  Obviously, if we decided to go this route, we would have to decide on a case by case basis if a game on another console would count.  Maybe no one wants to even consider this (and that's ok).  I just wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were.

Edited by TDIRunner

Medal of Honor Rising Sun is complete.

I didn't enjoy this as much as I remembered.  The middle part of this game is great.  Snipping enemies in the jungle is a lot of run.  In the last level where the enemies are bullet sponges that require a full magazine to kill, but can one shot you are really annoying.  Frontline is definitely the better game.  

Medal of Honor Rising Sun Completed 3.25.23 - 1.jpg

Medal of Honor Rising Sun Completed 3.25.23 - 2.jpg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/22/2023 at 10:03 AM, TDIRunner said:

Has anyone given any thought to whether you can play an HD remaster of a game on a different console and allow it to count as "beating the PS2 version?"  To clarify, I'm only referring to HD remasters of PS2 games and not remakes or ports.  

I know @Splain didn't count all of the N64 remasters I beat on Switch like the Turok games