IGNORED

Beat the Playstation Library!

Jeevan

After giving up on Valkyrie Profile, I next tried out Shadow Madness. That game...is a mess. Not gonna touch that one again. I did start and beat something else this week, however:

Galerians is defeated. Okay action (psychic powers instead of guns!) mixed with god-awful voice acting. I felt like it started off strong, but couldn't take it to the next level. Some cool moments, but nothing you need to play. I was surprised to learn that #1 - this game has a PS2 sequel, #2 - it came out in America, and #3 - it's not crazy expensive. Although most people seem to like it less than the first.

I've now beaten four of the most prominent "bad" survival horror games on the PSX: Countdown Vampires, Galerians, Martian Gothic, Overblood. Anything else I should check out? Out of those four, the worst was probably Countdown Vampires. The opening cutscene was so great, but everything after that just let me down. Ok action, but generic. Next is Overblood, which had a lot of great cutscenes, but not much in the way of fun gameplay. Martian Gothic had lots of puzzles with some interesting lore, but felt very unpolished. It's a close contest for the top spot between that one and Galerians.

• Like 2

Vandal Hearts is complete.  I even got the good ending just because it's more fun to do so.

I'm not sure what I will move on to next, but it won't be Vandal Hearts II.  I just couldn't get into that game.  The original is one of my favorite games of all time, but they went in too far of a different direction for the sequel and it's just not for me.  

Vandal Hearts Completed 12.10.22 (2).jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:52 PM, TDIRunner said:

Vandal Hearts is complete.  I even got the good ending just because it's more fun to do so.

I'm not sure what I will move on to next, but it won't be Vandal Hearts II.  I just couldn't get into that game.  The original is one of my favorite games of all time, but they went in too far of a different direction for the sequel and it's just not for me. 

I remember Vandal Hearts being an easy, basic game (albeit fun). It probably only got as much as attention as it did due to being one of the earlier rpgs on the system, so I can understand why the sequel was mostly ignored.

Tekken 3 is also complete.  I thought I would pop in something simple after putting about 20 hours into Vandal Hearts.

I hadn't played this game since High School, but it was always one of my favorite fighting games and it's one of the only fighting games I've ever beaten.  I guess that means it's kind of easy since I'm not very good at fighting games, but it's still super fun with lots of good characters and great secret characters.  Unfortunately, I don't have my old save, so I will have to unlock everything again.  

gNFgqxO.jpg

8TbV0Lu.jpg

• Like 2

Completed titles:

Street Fighter Alpha

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Street Fighter Alpha 3

4loueRS.jpg

XiL6z6o.jpg

16qotiN.jpg

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The game refers to you as the "MK Trilogy Champion?"  That's an odd way to put it.  🤔

This franchise usually refers itself as MK. Even the North American cover for Mortal Kombat 3 says "MK3"

psx_mk3_screenshot.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackVega said:

This franchise usually refers itself as MK. Even the North American cover for Mortal Kombat 3 says "MK3"

The word "trilogy" is what makes it odd.  

I get that it's the name of the game, but in the context of the storyline, why would the tournament be called the Mortal Kombat Trilogy?

For the record, I was just joking around.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I figured I would mention that I'm in the middle of a Tomb Raider play through.  I'm currently on level 11 of 15, so I expect to have it finished up by the weekend.  I'll probably move on to Tomb Raider II after this, but not sure if I'll do the others.  I could never get into the other PS1 TR titles.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fear Effect 2 beaten. Fun game, feels like a survival horror game mixed with some Tomb Raider shooting. Although, it's much more action based and segmented. Very campy humor, which varies being great and terrible. Either way, it was always interesting. It's been 8 years since I beat the first one, so I can't compare it too easily. I think I want to say that maybe the first one was a bit better.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I beat Aces of the Air last night. It's total Simple 1500 Series shovelware, but there's something charming about it and there are certainly worse ways to spend a couple hours. Still, it's not very good.

By the way, the win screen is just ""Congratulations - ALL MISSION COMPLETED" as you see in this YouTube video below (not mine). The original Simple 1500 release in Japan had a credits crawl, so naturally they just hacked it out for the North American localization. 😜

Sampras Extreme Tennis is done:

SamprasExtremeTennis1.jpg.37caa414d8f29f54abdeb8779f1fcce3.jpg

SamprasExtremeTennis2.jpg.61ab629f6c066acb7e7cba1bb0387425.jpg

SamprasExtremeTennis3.jpg.29b385d8085da299b7516ee698356583.jpg

I played Tournament mode, which consists of eight rounds at different venues, ending in a match with Sampras. That's clearly the game's main mode (or equivalent of Career mode, etc.). You have to beat it twice, as the first time unlocks the Super tournament.

This one wasn't released in the US, only Japan and Europe. I played the PAL version on real hardware as, apparently, my Sanyo CRT will accept a 50Hz signal. Who knew? At least on this PAL version, it definitely plays a lot better at 50Hz vs. the forced 60Hz mode you can enable with certain boot discs.

Edited by bronzeshield