IGNORED

Beat the Playstation Library!

Jeevan

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

um, n64 beat them all makes you do them all, but i think maybe just world 🙂  don't have to do all 3, sound ok?

Looking over the N64 games, it seems to depend on how the game itself is set up.  If each belt is a path, then beating a path is required.  If they're part of a career mode that goes through multiple belts, then you have to do them all.  Thunder is set up where each belt is a separate playthrough.  That said, if only one belt is required I'd be inclined to go with the biggest one as well, so that requirement sounds good to me.

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
40 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Looking over the N64 games, it seems to depend on how the game itself is set up.  If each belt is a path, then beating a path is required.  If they're part of a career mode that goes through multiple belts, then you have to do them all.  Thunder is set up where each belt is a separate playthrough.  That said, if only one belt is required I'd be inclined to go with the biggest one as well, so that requirement sounds good to me.

got busy, i will get this and the other 2 threads updated this long weekend! 

47 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

got busy, i will get this and the other 2 threads updated this long weekend! 

No sweat man!  I know participation dwindled for a while, so it makes it tough to want to update (I know from experience).  If it was only a couple submissions I wouldn't have worried, but after a page I figured it was time to poke ya 😛 The important thing is that it's now on the front burner.  Get it when you have time, and I'll try and add a couple more to the queue 🙂

Speaking of adding to the queue, WCW/nWo Thunder is done after Bret Hart won the title from Kevin Nash, who was the only real competitor he faced along the way.  He earned his shot by beating such noteworthy opponents as Larry Zbysco, Scott Norton, Jim Neidhart, and Disco Inferno.  It was also stupid easy...just engage in a test of strength (up and circle) repeatedly until they're in the red, then knock them down.  I'd do 2 or 3 tests of strength each match, followed by Bret's Russian Leg Sweep and finishing them off with the Sharpshooter (which was far more satisfying than pinning).  Pretty easy to finish.  It's got such an expansive roster that it's a shame it's such a crap game. 

• Like 2

We can also knock off Power Play Sports Trivia.  Talk about shovelware...there's really not much to it.  Answer ten questions in Normal mode, and answer until you miss a set number on Last Man Standing mode.  That's it.  I made sure to have a positive score upon finishing each mode, but that may have been overkill. 

Anyway, I also fired up Scrabble, and got the high score in a normal match against 3 AI opponents.  However, apparently the Tournament mode has three matches in a row.  I'm thinking that should be the requirement for completion, but I'll leave that decision to @Jeevan...but regardless, I'm probably gonna knock that one out sometime tomorrow regardless.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

We can also knock off Power Play Sports Trivia.  Talk about shovelware...there's really not much to it.  Answer ten questions in Normal mode, and answer until you miss a set number on Last Man Standing mode.  That's it.  I made sure to have a positive score upon finishing each mode, but that may have been overkill. 

Anyway, I also fired up Scrabble, and got the high score in a normal match against 3 AI opponents.  However, apparently the Tournament mode has three matches in a row.  I'm thinking that should be the requirement for completion, but I'll leave that decision to @Jeevan...but regardless, I'm probably gonna knock that one out sometime tomorrow regardless.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

You make things so much harder for yourself, but i like it!  Also, remember I haven't played even a fraction of these, so we are making it up as we go 😉 

Beat Rogue Trip last night with Sidewinder. Fun gameplay, not quite on the level of Twisted Metal 1-2 though.

As someone who's put a lot of time in TM2, I thought it was time to try out some of the PS1's other car combat games. I definitely like Rogue Trip more than Vigilante 8, at least. Vigilante 8 controls weirdly, and the combat feels like you need to find a good position and avoid directly confronting people. It's also more realistic feeling, I guess? I had some problems just driving up small ramps. Comparing Vigilante 8 to Rogue Trip, I get sort of a GTA4 vs GTA5 feeling (GTA5 being less realistic but more fun). Of course, the main reason I probably like Rogue Trip more because it was done by the team behind TM1-2. If don't care for those games, you might prefer Vigilante 8.

Rogue Trip has some decent stages and decent humor, but the little touches don't feel as refined as TM2. For example, in TM2 you can tell who's near you based on the sound effects. I also don't think the tourist mechanic adds much - it's not bad, but it feels unnecessary. And the lore/music/art just aren't up to TM's standards. I don't think this game was a big success, and I can't help but think that a lot of it may have been due to the super ugly cover art (which was also used in the ads). Imagine making this dude the face of your game:

6822_front.jpg

• Like 2

Not counting sports or fighting games, I think I'm now at 99 PS1 games beaten, lifetime:

Spoiler

Alien Resurrection
Alien Trilogy
Alundra
Ape Escape
Apocalypse
Assault: Retribution
Beyond the Beyond
Blasto
Brahma Force
😄 The Contra Adventure
Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken
Chrono Cross
Codename: Tenka
Countdown Vampires
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
D
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Disruptor
Divide: Enemies Within
Doom
Dragon Warrior VII
Echo Night
Fear Effect
Fighting Force
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals
Future Cop: L.A.P.D.
Harmful Park
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Jumping Flash 2
King's Field
King's Field II
King's Field III
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Koudelka
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Loaded
Martian Gothic: Unification
MDK
Mega Man 8
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man X4
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X6
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Monster Rancher
Nightmare Creatures
One
Overblood
Pandemonium
PaRappa the Rapper
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Powerslave
Rayman
Raystorm
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Survivor
Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
Shadow Tower
Silent Hill
Soul of the Samurai
Spyro the Dragon
Strikers 1945
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Syphon Filter
Tail Concerto
Threads of Fate
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal 2
Urban Chaos
Vandal Hearts
Wild 9
Wild Arms
Xena: Warrior Princess
Xenogears

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Not counting sports or fighting games, I think I'm now at 99 PS1 games beaten, lifetime:

Reveal hidden contents

Alien Resurrection
Alien Trilogy
Alundra
Ape Escape
Apocalypse
Assault: Retribution
Beyond the Beyond
Blasto
Brahma Force
😄 The Contra Adventure
Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken
Chrono Cross
Codename: Tenka
Countdown Vampires
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
D
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Disruptor
Divide: Enemies Within
Doom
Dragon Warrior VII
Echo Night
Fear Effect
Fighting Force
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals
Future Cop: L.A.P.D.
Harmful Park
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Jumping Flash 2
King's Field
King's Field II
King's Field III
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Koudelka
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Loaded
Martian Gothic: Unification
MDK
Mega Man 8
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man X4
Mega Man X5
Mega Man X6
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Monster Rancher
Nightmare Creatures
One
Overblood
Pandemonium
PaRappa the Rapper
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Powerslave
Rayman
Raystorm
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil: Survivor
Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
Shadow Tower
Silent Hill
Soul of the Samurai
Spyro the Dragon
Strikers 1945
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Syphon Filter
Tail Concerto
Threads of Fate
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal 2
Urban Chaos
Vandal Hearts
Wild 9
Wild Arms
Xena: Warrior Princess
Xenogears

What're you gonna gun for as #100????

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

What're you gonna gun for as #100????

Let's see, the games I have on my list to check out are:

Darklight Conflict, Fear Effect 2, Fox Hunt, Galerians, Gradius Gaiden, Nanotek Warrior, R-Type Delta, Shadow Madness, TRAG, Valkyrie Profile, Vanark

I guess maybe Valkyrie Profile since everyone praises it so much...

• Like 1

Knocked out a four player tournament in Scrabble with the high score, so I figure we can call that one done now.  The reason it took so long though...well, that's cuz I was playing something else 😛  Depending on my available play time, I'll also be scratching Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena off the list in the next day or so. 

• Like 1

Based on the rules for the other "beat the entire library" threads, obviously no one can call dibs, and whoever beats the game first gets the credit.  With that said, it doesn't hurt to mention who is playing what, especially when it comes to some of the longer games that take up a lot of time.

I'm currently going through a Vandal Hearts playthrough, and I plan to make Ash a full Vandalier.  With my schedule, I won't get through more than one or two maps per night, so it might take me a while.  Although, once you get into the second half of the game, it gets so fun, I might start knocking out more at a time.  

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Based on the rules for the other "beat the entire library" threads, obviously no one can call dibs, and whoever beats the game first gets the credit.  With that said, it doesn't hurt to mention who is playing what, especially when it comes to some of the longer games that take up a lot of time.

I'm currently going through a Vandal Hearts playthrough, and I plan to make Ash a full Vandalier.  With my schedule, I won't get through more than one or two maps per night, so it might take me a while.  Although, once you get into the second half of the game, it gets so fun, I might start knocking out more at a time.  

Yeah, I've always felt it's prudent to post what you're playing, but if someone beats it first, then that's just how it is.  I haven't played Vandal Hearts yet, though that's mainly because I don't have a copy yet 😛 

Anyway, I just knocked off Brigandine, so that's one long one off the list 🙂 Any recommendations for what to play next?  Assuming I own the game of course 😛

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, I've always felt it's prudent to post what you're playing, but if someone beats it first, then that's just how it is.  I haven't played Vandal Hearts yet, though that's mainly because I don't have a copy yet 😛 

Anyway, I just knocked off Brigandine, so that's one long one off the list 🙂 Any recommendations for what to play next?  Assuming I own the game of course 😛

Kinda hard when I have no idea what you might own!

Got Silent Bomber?

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Any recommendations for what to play next?  Assuming I own the game of course 😛

If you've got it, feel free to play through Vandal Hearts 2.  While the original is one of my favorite games of all time, I just cannot get into the sequel, so I won't be playing it for this thread.  

Events Helper · Posted

OK,

I believe I have it all uptdated, but you all can double check me, i added a point for @TDIRunner for doing RE2 again......maybe a half point is in order?  Tell me what you all think, as i said i don't care who beats what 😆.

Current standings for most completions.......just to add a bit of competitiveness to it.....god that looks awful, but i googled it so suck it scrubs......

scaryice              13
TDIRunner           9
Red                      8
Renmauzo           5
the_wizard_666   5
cj_robot               4
Gloves                 2
MagusSmurf       3
Megaman52       2
nesmaster14        1

@scaryice @TDIRunner @Red @Renmauzo @the_wizard_666 @cj_robot @Gloves @MagusSmurf @MegaMan52 @nesmaster14

• Like 2

@Jeevan  I appreciate the extra point for RE2, but honestly, you might be setting yourself up for a bunch of extra work if others start beating games that are already completed.  I won't be offended if you take that one away from me.

Thanks again for keeping track of all of this.  I have a long list of games I plan on getting through, but my progress will always be slow since I only have so much free gaming time in the evenings.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

@Jeevan  I appreciate the extra point for RE2, but honestly, you might be setting yourself up for a bunch of extra work if others start beating games that are already completed.  I won't be offended if you take that one away from me.

Thanks again for keeping track of all of this.  I have a long list of games I plan on getting through, but my progress will always be slow since I only have so much free gaming time in the evenings.  

i mean, have you seen how hard i work at this?  😏.  I don't expect too many people will duplicate, but if they do, no biggie, i found an easy way to do the edits, so its all good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Kinda hard when I have no idea what you might own!

Got Silent Bomber?

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If you've got it, feel free to play through Vandal Hearts 2.  While the original is one of my favorite games of all time, I just cannot get into the sequel, so I won't be playing it for this thread.  

Sadly I have none of the above.  I guess I should've posted a list, so I updated my list on Backloggery:

https://backloggery.com/games.php?user=the_wizard_666&console=PS

Maybe I'll take the time to update the rest of the site too 😛

Events Helper · Posted
8 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sadly I have none of the above.  I guess I should've posted a list, so I updated my list on Backloggery:

https://backloggery.com/games.php?user=the_wizard_666&console=PS

Maybe I'll take the time to update the rest of the site too 😛

start from the top and go down.....at least you can knock out games u haven't beaten 😉  

I think I'm going to give up on Valkyrie Profile. Just not feeling it after 3 hours. The 2D exploration, and all the weird systems, and the combat style... Doesn't seem like a great game to me. Amazing art, though. I should've known this going in, because I did play a bit of Exist Archive on PS4, which was another Tri-Ace game, and I also gave up on that one a few hours in. Maybe I shouldn't bother playing Star Ocean, then.

• Like 1

Actually, I did manage to beat a game today. Although I'm not counting sports games on my personal list, so it won't be my "100th PS1 game" beaten. That would be ESPN MLS Gamenight 2000.

The game is a spinoff of the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer series, and also the first MLS branded game (of only a few). As usual for Konami's long-running series, it's way better than the FIFAs of the time - PES was easily the best soccer series for the PS1/PS2 era.

I played a lot of the PS2 games 15 years ago, but not the PS1 games. This one plays similarly, but it feels a bit more stiff movement-wise, with fewer options for ball-handling and tricks. It's also very difficult if you play on the hardest difficulty like I did. I tried it out a month ago, and I had to start over after half a season due to my awful record. I finally realized 80% of the way through this time that I should adjust the camera and move it back, which gives you a much better view of the action. The rest of the season went smoothly after that. With 5 minute games, it only took a few hours to beat a 32 game season plus playoffs.

GnkI3ST.png

15-10-7 record with the Chicago Fire. Not great, but I won every single playoff game when it mattered most.

rnIxb00.png

Defeated New England, Kansas City, and DC United to win the MLS Cup. Hristo Stoichkov scored the only goal of the final in the 74th minute, assisted by DaMarcus Beasley. In addition to the team's normal players, I added Ben Olsen, Eddie Pope, and Steve Ralston via trades. There's a system where you get points for winning or drawing games, and each player is worth a certain number of points. So you can only afford to get a few players.

pN7bamg.png

Hoisting the trophy as proud champions. If only they could do this again IRL...

While I can't see much a reason for most people to play this game nowadays, it's a very cool snapshot of the early Major League Soccer era when not many people were paying attention. Very nostalgic for fans of American soccer at the time like me.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1