IGNORED

Beat the Playstation Library!

Jeevan

Administrator · Posted
26 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I wanted to at least get my name on the board, so I knocked out Crash Bandicoot this evening just to get a quick one out of the way.  

I wished we had started this last year because I completed several PS1 games that take well into the 8-10 hour plus range to complete.  But oh well, just gives me an excuse to play through them again.  

Crash Bandicoot Completed 2.7.22.jpg

Yeah I played through a few PS1 games last year myself, but as you say - a chance to either play again, or give someone else the chance to do so! 

Specifically I played Dino Crisis last year and enjoyed it, do suggest. On the other hand I played Suikoden and did not enjoy it as much as I'd hoped I would. Might give it another chance though. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I wanted to at least get my name on the board, so I knocked out Crash Bandicoot this evening just to get a quick one out of the way.  

I wished we had started this last year because I completed several PS1 games that take well into the 8-10 hour plus range to complete.  But oh well, just gives me an excuse to play through them again.  

Crash Bandicoot Completed 2.7.22.jpg

it was mentioned this should be done in December or so I think, I finally got the gumption to get it going 😉

• Like 1

I also knocked out Felony 11-79 since it doesn't take long.

I used to love this game back in high school, but I actually thought it was super difficult and could never beat it.  Many years later I tried it again as an adult and breezed through it.  I still enjoy it, but it hasn't aged well.  I hardly ever hear anyone talk about this game, but I think it deserves some credit.  

cbUUQpe.jpg

• Like 2

Finished Metal Gear Solid.  Yeah, I played it on easy, but I hadn't played it in over 10 years.  My stats are just ok, but most of my deaths and alerts could easily be avoided with a second play through now that it's fresh in my mind again.  At least two of my deaths and two of my alerts were complete BS, but whatever.  

My play time is also pretty long because I watched every cutscene and codec conversation that came up the entire way through since I hadn't seen any of it in so long.  Cut scenes and codes conversations count towards the play time.  

Please note that special item "bandana" means I didn't submit. 😉

It's still an amazing game, and my second favorite MGS game after MGS4.  It's also my favorite PS1 game that I haven't played in recent memory.  I'm not sure why I took so much time since my last playthrough.    

Metal Gear Solid Completed 2.14.22.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Resident Evil Director's Cut completed.

I hadn't played this one in a long time either, but I felt weird playing MGS on easy, so I went with standard on REDC.  I was definitely rusty because my item management was pretty bad and required a lot of unnecessary backtracking.  However, I didn't have to lookup anything online and I was able to get the good ending playing with Jill, saving both Barry and Chris.  Barry only had to save me one time (poisoned by the first snake battle).  I ended up with a lot of saves because I was too nervous about getting caught up in an enemy due to being rusty.  

The odd thing is that for many years, I didn't realize that you could "save" Barry.  I never realized that you could wait for him when he drops the rope.  It didn't feel like a choice back then, so I always missed that part.  

Resident Evil DC Completed 2.16.22.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a few months since I beat Mega Man 8 and contributed in this topic. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to beat games but I'm trying to make some time. I decided to beat a short and easy game tonight: 

dragontalesdragonseekpic1.jpg.0b76799adbd12be87186617a38e75dc8.jpg

dragontalesdragonseekpic2.jpg.5d2b50bc51e3229ac4f9c00f0492d362.jpg

dragontalesdragonseekpic3.jpg.b8e795a6dcfeefd99e3726aeae15c427.jpg

dragontalesdragonseekpic4.jpg.97b2226bb99487d61b1b5317c418e812.jpg

Beat Dragon Tales: Dragon Seek. I played through the game with both playable characters (Emmy and Max). There are four levels. In addition to finding Dragons, you're suppose to find and collect berries as well. If you find enough berries, you play a race mini-game after completing all of the levels. After the race, a music video plays.

Maybe I'll playthrough Rayman or Spyro: Year of the Dragon when I have more time.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Twisted Metal 2 is finished. I've beaten the game many times before, but this time, I wanted to do a 1CC run on hard mode. That is to say, a run where I don't continue and just make it through all stages with only 3 lives. That's very difficult, by the way, given how cheap the computer can be at times. And of course, the 7th stage out of 8 (Holland) is the make or break one, since you have nowhere to hide and many enemies. Even though I always use Thumper, I had to switch to Warthog to finally pull it off. I've played this game a ton, and even for me it feels like a real accomplishment!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
I haven't been around here for a few months, but I have been playing games during that time, primarily PlayStation.  I played through the following:

Tai Fu Wrath of the Tiger - A platformer/beat-em-up hybrid.  Doesn't do either very well.

Bust A Groove - Assuming playing through as one character in the Japanese version is good enough for this thread, consider this one complete.  Not as good as I remember, but still a decent rhythm game.

Bust A Groove 2 - Like the first one, played though the Japanese version.

Pocket Fighter - like the Bust A Grooves, only beaten with one character.  Played the US version this time though! 

Digimon Rumble Arena - Again, only played as one character.  I didn't like this one too much.  Can't see myself ever playing again.

Incredible Crisis - Story driven mini-game collection.  Most of the games aren't too great, but the goofiness of the situations make it worth playing.

Persona - I haven't played through this in a long time.  Can't say I enjoyed it as much as I did back in the day, but it's still not bad.  A lot of people complain about the localization, but I kinda like it.  It gives it a more unique personality.  Considering that the battles could drag on a bit long, I think the encounter rate reduction and experience earned increase was a good decision.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing a lot of PSX stuff recently, starting with a longer rpg and then blasting through some shorter stuff. Here's a recap of what I've beaten:

8/26 - Beyond the Beyond. This was the 16th turn-based PS1 rpg I've beaten. Yeah, it's kind of unremarkable - I don't think you need to play this unless you've exhausted all the best known titles on the system. And, the encounter rate is ridiculous. That certainly will turn off many people from giving it a chance. But, I enjoyed it regardless - the difficulty makes it interesting. It's nice when jrpgs have dungeons that aren't just straight lines and require some actual thought. Preliminary ranking is 11/16 on my PS1 rpg list.

8/27 - Jumping Flash 2. I only did the normal mode and not the extra, but that still counts. I'd played the original a few times, the first time probably twenty years ago now, so it was fun to finally try the second one. As you might guess, it was more of the same. Fun for sure, but I can see why it didn't have the same impact. They needed more of a leap forward to make the series popular, I guess. With my experience, this was very easy to finish, like 60-90 minutes.

8/28 - Resident Evil: Survivor. It was only after beating the game that I realized one death would've sent me back to the beginning, so I'm glad I didn't die! I probably would've been more cautious had I known that. I cut it very close on the final battle, maybe a hit or two left at the end. The story and voice acting was maybe the most ridiculous of any PS1 RE game, in that familiar enjoyable way. Overall, it was a nice way to reuse some assets and make a different experience. I can see why people buying it at full price might've been upset, though.

8/30 - Nightmare Creatures. Cool game, shame about the controls. Despite that, I had a lot of fun with this one. I picked the girl, but started over with the guy after a few levels. He can take more hits, which made it easier to survive. This is one of those games where it's very important to not waste items/lives since they carry over from stage to stage. Your game also saves over your previous save, so I couldn't go back and replay anything earlier. Of course, this lead to me having almost nothing left for the final stage, which made it super hard.

9/9 - Martian Gothic: Unification. This was quite the memorable experience. It's typical PS1 survival horror gameplay, but with three characters that you can switch to at any moment. This means three times the item management, although at least you can send items from character to character. And you will need almost every single item to use in some obscure way. The puzzles were certainly trickier than your typical RE "spade key in spade door" stuff. Now, I personally absolutely hate looking up answers in games. I beat freaking Phantasy Star 1-4 without looking anything up. But, after several hours of useless wandering, I had to break down and admit defeat to Martian Gothic. I only looked up one thing (which had a truly dumb solution), and I think that's quite impressive. So be prepared for a challenge if you try this one. What was not a challenge was the combat, which features unkillable zombies, although they don't pose too much of a threat. I had way too much ammo at the end that I didn't use. The story was actually quite interesting, too and I got real System Shock 1 vibes from the space setting and audio logs. The voice acting was mostly downright goofy. Entertaining to be sure, though. Overall, much of the game lacked polish and was hard to deal with. But, it was such a fascinating game in many respects. I'm glad I played it, even if it wasn't good.

9/9 - Floating Runner. 99% of this game's difficulty is in the final boss, who seems impossible at first. Plus, continuing at that point reduces your max health, which makes him get even harder. Even watching videos of what to do, I had to go through the game three times to finally beat it. Luckily, the levels leading up to him are a breeze, maybe 30 minutes once you know what you're doing. Finally, I somehow finished him, one hit away from death at the end of a desperate struggle. I don't think this game's controls are bad like some people say, but the camera is awful, and the shooting and level design could use a lot of work. There's no drama until the end, since you can continue infinitely. So unless you care about points, much of it is just boring. The enemies themselves are weirdly chaotic and not fun to deal with. The best comparison that comes to mind is Mighty Bomb Jack on the NES, oddly.

9/10 - Loaded. I had unfinished business with this one after owning it back in the day. Unfortunately, it wasn't worth the few hours it took to beat. I used Cap'n Hands, who might be the best character. It was just a matter of slowly clearing out the many rooms to get the many key cards, in what usually is far too dark lighting. Later on, there are a few brighter levels and a few better enemies (robots). Still not worth it, though. There are the elements here for a great game - cool soundtrack, interesting characters, nice controls. But it needs better enemies, better level design, and more variety in gameplay.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, scaryice said:

/9 - Floating Runner. 99% of this game's difficulty is in the final boss, who seems impossible at first. Plus, continuing at that point reduces your max health, which makes him get even harder. Even watching videos of what to do, I had to go through the game three times to finally beat it. Luckily, the levels leading up to him are a breeze, maybe 30 minutes once you know what you're doing. Finally, I somehow finished him, one hit away from death at the end of a desperate struggle. I don't think this game's controls are bad like some people say, but the camera is awful, and the shooting and level design could use a lot of work. There's no drama until the end, since you can continue infinitely. So unless you care about points, much of it is just boring. The enemies themselves are weirdly chaotic and not fun to deal with. The best comparison that comes to mind is Mighty Bomb Jack on the NES, oddly.

I tried playing this one a few weeks ago.  My initial impression was that this game could be kinda fun.  The controls and camera didn't seem too bad, but after about 10 minutes, I really started to dislike it, for pretty much the same issues you described.  I think the only reason it seemed promising at first was because I tried it out immediately after trying Bubsy 3D.   Bubsy 3D has the most horrendous controls of any 3D platformer I've ever played.  Even trying to line up Bubsy in front of a stationary object so I could collect it was a chore.  After playing it for a minutes, I probably could have tried almost any other subpar game next and would have had a positive first impression.