IGNORED

The RETRO Top 100 NES Homebrew Games (article by Seth Abramson)

dale_coop

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

All kidding aside I think you do great work here and the homebrew scene means a lot to you. You do need to trust that when people read an opinion piece they take it as just that. All “top X number of all time” lists are opinion and mostly clickbait anyways. I love reading Reeds list and do I agree with everything of course not but it’s fun to read and put me in touch with games that I never heard of and really enjoyed playing. 

Yeah, I admit I need to trust readers more that they can understanding what's going on. I guess I just like to make sure what's implied is made explicit. That said, I think Seth's list could be the launching point for a different way to look at homebrew. Given that he played these games on his phone, he could offer a really interesting perspective of "Top Homebrews When Played on Your Phone," highlighting how the means by which you play impacts your perception of the game. Likewise Dale is perfectly situated to make a similar list as "Top Homebrews When I'm Playing With My Son (Who Also Makes His Own Homebrews)." My awful list would probably be "Top Homebrews If You're A Really Crappy Gamer But Like to Play Anyway." There are so many different kinds of people here, rather than just a bunch of "my faves" list we can try to figure out how different homebrews appeal to different people beyond their individual interests, but how their particular means of playing or backgrounds/circumstances make for that different perspective. I know I'm thinking about this wayy too much, but that to me is why homebrew is so cool: these aren't games cranked out by companies for money, but carefully crafted expressions of peoples' love of gaming. I love learning how that resonates with devs and players.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

The real win here is the homebrew scene getting attention and money being made by people who work their assess off on this stuff. The fact that I don’t see dungeons and doomknights on there is pretty BS. 

You're right, this is the most important takeaway: the exposure and opportunity to reach a wider audience. And I am SO excited for this one. It's actually the next game I'm covering on my blog!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

I think Seth's list could be the launching point for a different way to look at homebrew. Given that he played these games on his phone, he could offer a really interesting perspective of "Top Homebrews When Played on Your Phone," highlighting how the means by which you play impacts your perception of the game

I agree with you in principle, but it just sounds so white-washed in that "it's 2022 so we better not step on a single toe" kind of way.  I mean, if you make a NES game, isn't the intended purpose to play it on the NES?  If you want to make a game playable on PC, you make it for Steam; if you want to make a game to play on your phone, you make a mobile game; and if you want to make a game that's playable on your Nintendo Entertainment System, you make a NES game.  I understand that ROMS + technology allow for a lot of different secondary options, but come on...

Man, this world has gotten waaaaay too sensitive...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I agree with you in principle, but it just sounds so white-washed in that "it's 2022 so we better not step on a single toe" kind of way.  I mean, if you make a NES game, isn't the intended purpose to play it on the NES?  If you want to make a game playable on PC, you make it for Steam; if you want to make a game to play on your phone, you make a mobile game; and if you want to make a game that's playable on your Nintendo Entertainment System, you make a NES game.  I understand that ROMS + technology allow for a lot of different secondary options, but come on...

Man, this world has gotten waaaaay too sensitive...

Says the guy belaboring the opinion that titles developed for the NES seemingly should only be played on an actual NES😉

Expanding the availability of such things helps keep them relevant, as not everybody is as attached to or stuck in the past as plenty of us enthusiasts are, especially folks who didn't grow up with it in any way shape or form (at the time it was released, in a household with someone who did, etc.).  If only playing those types of games on actual NES hardware (real/clone/whatever) is your deal, bully for you, but don't keep politely stepping on the toes of the folks who feel differently than you about it.  You said your piece, everybody understands.

15 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Expanding the availability of such things helps keep them relevant, as not everybody is as attached to or stuck in the past as plenty of us enthusiasts are, especially folks who didn't grow up with it in any way shape or form (at the time it was released, in a household with someone who did, etc.)

We're talking about NES homebrews, right?!?  Do you think the primary purchasers are 15 year old girls playing them on their cell phones?  Oh yeah, we've gotta be "inclusive."

But cool, people will make the games they wanna make, and gamers will play their games the way they want to play them.  Just don't expect people to be happy when a guy makes a list about something they're passionate about based entirely on some vastly inferior collateral gameplay device...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Poor RETRO, lmao. He writes so much and can't help causing offense.

I agree that his original methodology in this was ham-fisted, self-aggrandizing, and drastically underinformed. His last thread here* went much the same way, as he vigorously doubled down on his assertions in the face of constructive criticism, writing several paragraphs several times over the course of many pages, before ultimately giving up on this forum and closing his account. That is why people don't like him, not because he posted a lame list a few days ago.

At least this time he (says he) is accepting and implementing feedback. We'll see what he comes up with for the second edition. 

*I couldn't find it be searching; let me see if I can find it tagging @RETROedit: nope it's all gone, I think maybe he got banned, I forget

Edited by Link
  • Love 1

Moderator · Posted
16 hours ago, Link said:

*I couldn't find it be searching; let me see if I can find it tagging @RETROedit: nope it's all gone, I think maybe he got banned, I forget

He’s not banned. And I’m glad he’s here, I really want him to talk to devs and fans. He told me that he’s shy and lurks, which I can understand. He likes homebrews and deserves a chance to share that excitement. I hope he comes back and engages.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Scrobins said:

He’s not banned. And I’m glad he’s here, I really want him to talk to devs and fans. He told me that he’s shy and lurks, which I can understand. He likes homebrews and deserves a chance to share that excitement. I hope he comes back and engages.

Why does that account have 0 posts? I'm fairly certain that was his user name. I would like to see him as well. I think his heart's in the right place, just needs to relax and listen sometimes. He might get more blowback then he deserves but he brings it on himself. At least, that's my analysis of what happened in the last big thread involving him. As I remember it, anyway. Prior to that I was somewhat aware of the magazine but nothing about who made it. It's always wild to me when people go first name basis in a big forum argument because I don't know anybody...

Anyway I hope I wasn't too harsh above but it's a summary of valid criticism imo. As I said, it looks like this time he is accepting the feedback and working from it, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

I'm talking about a thread here within the past couple of months where Seth, the OP iirc, was holding court and talking about some extensive information he had and research he did to assemble it. People were taking him to task for flogging his magazine / website. He responded several times at length, definitely wasn't lurking that day. fwiw I didn't participate in the dogpile but it was certainly something to see.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Link said:

3 hours ago, Link said:

Why does that account have 0 posts? I'm fairly certain that was his user name.

IIRC, he changed his username to @Null when he figuratively slammed the door on this place.  I'm not quite sure who that other account is--could be him coming back as a duplicate, could be a new user opportunistically grabbing a freed up username, etc.