IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy COLOR game - 25/445

Splain

14 hours ago, Aguy said:

I was in high school when it came out and I remember playing this game a bunch and beating. I played MtG with other kids at school, but no one was really playing with Pokemon cards then. I picked it up a last year to mess around just because I love the music so much and I couldn't even make it to the first gym battle. I got wrecked by RNG a few battles in a row and I gave up pretty quite.

If you are about my age (born in 81) then your friends were probably like mine and saw them as "kiddie" cards.  Real men played MtG, and elementary/middle schoolers played Pokemon. Yuck!  I still knew some guys who were closet poke-fans, though. Haha.

42 minutes ago, RH said:

If you are about my age (born in 81) then your friends were probably like mine and saw them as "kiddie" cards.  Real men played MtG, and elementary/middle schoolers played Pokemon. Yuck!  I still knew some guys who were closet poke-fans, though. Haha.

I'm 1985, high school 99-03. There were  some yugioh players too, but MtG was the majority. But I do remember going to see the Pokemon 2000 movie with some other guys on my water polo team including a couple juniors/seniors from the varsity team. We got the the theater and it was sold out, tons over kids outside. It was kind of funny how bummed we were.

15 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I'm 1985, high school 99-03. There were  some yugioh players too, but MtG was the majority. But I do remember going to see the Pokemon 2000 movie with some other guys on my water polo team including a couple juniors/seniors from the varsity team. We got the the theater and it was sold out, tons over kids outside. It was kind of funny how bummed we were.

Yeah, I think you guys were on the upper-end of the target market.  I know how that would feel though, seeing a bunch of younger kids and you guys were teenagers, but still, being about 10-12 when Pokemon cards and such were coming out was prime-target because you were potentially just starting to get that $5-10/week allowance and could dump every dime into TCG cards.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

I wished that the second game had made it to the west, as that one has seemingly even more cards and more creative challenges, where you have to construct certain decks to fight against certain bosses etc.

Pokemon Card GB2: GRdan Sanjou has an English translation. I liked it better that the first game for some of the reasons you outlined, but they're both fantastic. 

On 2/22/2022 at 2:23 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Or maybe a modern take on this game for console with some sort of story or career mode and maybe even different formats. The PTCG is so cool, but feels underutilized, imho.

FYI, there is an official free-to-play, online Pokemon TCG game for PC that has a rudimentary story mode to teach you the basics, but then lets you play other humans. It's updated frequently to reflect new card sets and rules. However, I think the oldest cards in the game are HG/SS era cards, which are from early 2010 and later.

If you buy physical Pokemon cards, you get a code to get a free pack of the same cards in the game. If you bought a promo box, it also comes with a promo code that allows you to get the promo cards in the game. Pokemon also sometimes sends out codes in official emails. Packs can also be earned in game, and you can trade cards or packs to other players for other cards or packs.

I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's good fun and a cheaper way to play than buying decks of physical cards, typically. I'm not sure if they will ever make a new game as long as this game is up and running.

Edited by Philosoraptor

Mario Tennis is done.

T38bNP0m.jpgKL9DTHqm.jpgAxBZDf2m.jpg

qGXj7Qvm.jpg

You only get "The End" after beating Mario, but you also get credits after winning the tournament.

Not a lot to complain about here. The only things I can think of are that the action in general seems a little slow, and only the final opponent of the tournament actually lobbed my character consistently, making serve and volley play a massive hack. I didn't drop a game until the second round of the tournament.

It is a very fun game, and I appreciate how much Mario Tennis goodness they shoved into this cart.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

Mario Golf is also done. 

MCF2gk1m.jpgFGeLmj8m.jpg1kIk0MKm.jpg

jkBFF1pm.jpg5UX8b25m.jpg8MJnzP5m.jpg

BigErK2m.jpg

Same thing as Mario Golf; you only get "End" after beating Mario in the Peach's Castle tournament, but you also get credits after winning the Links Club tournament.

I feel like shot aiming, especially putting, isn't precise enough. Also, the way the game displays where the ball will go if putted straight is best thought of as a guesstimate; somewhat regularly, putts that should go in based off of the guide missed left or right on straight greens. It also has the "you can't trust that the default aim for putts is actually straight in" mechanic that a lot of old golf games seem to have, too. However, I think that this game is significantly better about aiming than most old golf games, FWIW.

Overall, it's a really worthwhile golf experience. All the mechanics and information you need to succeed is here, and the --five-- courses you can play are all fun and impressive, especially Peach's Castle. Of the two games, I think Mario Tennis is the better one, albeit only slightly. I will probably be returning to Mario Golf more, though, because the 1P content is more replayable to me.

• Like 2

Anyone for more tennis? The championship mode of Snoopy Tennis is done on Easy difficulty.

BPBCLFem.jpg

Let me know if this needs to be done on harder levels. I'm not sure whether there is a different ending screen for Medium or Hard.

So...umm...tennis-wise...this game is better than Mario Tennis on the GBC. And most tennis games released at its time or before it. And it's not close. Mistime your serve, and it's a fault or it's in the net. Leave too much space between you and the net and get a ball hit at your feet? Straight into the net if you don't hit the right shot. Balls can be hit wide or out if you try to go for too much. You actually have to time your shots pretty accurately to hit them. Drop shots and lobs can both be used offensively and defensively. Lobs also WORK when opponents play net, and you can actually win points going down the line or cross court against an opponent with poor positioning at the net. Balls can and will hit the tape, and not just randomly, either. This unassuming game with Peanuts characters is a much more accurate representation of tennis than one would expect.

Oh, and it was made by two people. More on the fascinating story of how this game came to be can be read here.

Oh, it's also insanely difficult. Remember how I said I didn't drop a game in Mario Tennis, having never played it before, until the second round of the tournament? I lost more games to Charlie-effing-Brown, the first opponent, than I did my entire Mario Tennis playthrough. On easy. And I owned this game as a kid. I think I might be able to beat the championship on Medium, but I think the championship on Hard is as pure a definition of Nintendo hard as you can get. Mike Tyson. Turbo Tunnel. Snoopy Tennis on Hard. Seriously.

However, Mario Tennis does have the better control scheme. Pressing away from the net and B to hit a slice is hard to do without moving your character. Sometimes you'll hit balls long when you're running towards the net and have to make a split-second reaction to prevent the ball from going by you because the game thinks you want forward + A or B (deep shot). With how accurate this game is trying to be tennis-wise, it can be irritating that the controls can cause additional unforced errors.

Overall, this is a fantastic game and one that I highly recommend for anyone who yearns for an old-school, yet realistic tennis experience. 

• Like 2

I beat the main game of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

As I said previously (or I think I did 🤪) the simplest "completion" one could have of this game is beating the main story, which is a remake of SMB1 for NES (doing this unlocks the ability to access Hard Mode anytime, as well as level select for the whole game).

To me, this game is WAY more fun if you go and 100% it, as it has tons of extra modes and challenges to complete, including time trial races against boo, the unlockable "Super Players" (which is a remake of SMB2 JP but rebuilt for SMB1 physics as needed), and my favorite, the Challenge mode, where you have to complete a score challenge, 5 red coins challenge, and find the hidden yoshi egg in every level. I have to give props to the score challenges too, as you really have to be knowledgeable of Super Mario Bros in order to complete the target score.

So in closing, I would say I don't think just beating the main game is enough to say you've completed this game, and I want people who haven't and who really love super mario bros to go and play this and see all the modes. However, I'm not really sure what the powers that be want to say about this matter, so I'll just post this picture of the ending and move on.

bgb00003.jpg

• Like 2

I'm started on Bob The Builder: Fix It Fun! which is better than I thought it would be so far. Also running Dragon Warrior in the background. I hope it's not too much of a pain to beat that game. Having to do DQ2 as well will be some investment! I've heard the stories of how tough that game is at points due to your new party members always starting at level 1.

4 hours ago, koifish said:

I think I'm confused about Dracula Crazy Vampire. Every review I've read says that you can throw bats and drink blood, but I keep mashing buttons and nothing happens. Is there something you have to do before that's an available power?

Looks like you have to talk to the witch/warlock. This video shows them at about the 1:00 mark

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Thanks 1

Bob the Builder: Fix It Fun! is completed.

This is a very simple and easy game, for the most part. The summary is that in order to have a picnic, Bob needs to finish his chores. One half of the chores is playing a side-scrolling platformer, each level requiring you to find 8 items in it before a timer runs out. These are simple enough. The other half of the levels are mini-games using the vehicle friends (for lack of a better term) and they are similar, get X items before time runs out.

The last level has you driving across a level looking for picnic items you were given by people as thanks for helping with chores (why you have to find them after already having been given them is a mystery). This is definitely the most annoying part, as you have to go through a level with a number of different paths in it, but you have to backtrack through most of them, and the vehicle can't turn around, so you have to slowly go backward (with poor visibility mind you) and everything you bump into (in your poorly steering vehicle) will cost you time. After getting the 8 items strewn about you then still have to navigate back to the end of the road. On my third attempt, I finally finished it. The work was really obnoxious, and it was definitely a difficulty spike over previous segments. I wouldn't be surprised if they added that so that kids who got this game would be stuck on it for a while. It definitely feels like something that either 1) a parent or older sibling would have to help out with in order to beat) or 2) a kid would never beat it and then maybe go try it again as an adult and have a reaction like "Oh, this is way easier than I remember!" as you so often do with long-forgotten childhood games. In fact, I'd say a lot of the game is that way, just that the last level felt really strict. I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone out there for whom the last level was their personal "Dam level" from the NES TMNT game.

So in the end, I'd say this game is not bad. It's far from the worst I've played, and if a kid was into Bob the Builder then I figure they'd have gotten some amusement out of it. I can't say it's anything that you need to play unless you're doing a completion challenge of Game Boy games or some other crazy pursuit like that.

Edited by koifish
  • Like 2

Was checking out some other games. If we're doing Missile Command for GBC the same way as we've done other arcade "beat the high score" games, then we may have our new White Whale. This one comes with a top score of 750,000 points! I tried it a bit, and I am pretty sure you can't get more than a few thousand at most per stage. I assume some master missile commanders can chime in and give more info, but my first impression is that this will be a really tough one to do.

• Wow! 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages. I've had this game since it first came out. I played it then, but got stuck about halfway through. Picked it up again about 10 or 11 years ago and made it through to the end, but I haven't touched it again until now and I'm not sure why. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. It's been a few years since I played Seasons, but I remember it to be good, but not quite great, whereas Ages is a fantastic game.

IMG_2774.JPEG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Beat Deja Vu I & II: The Casebooks of Ace Harding.

Deja Vu I:

image.jpeg.19f65d2854aa76694dfc2afa1b499782.jpeg

image.jpeg.8bb0aa86992f44f38401fae8672da2c1.jpeg

I usually play the NES version. This version has icons instead of text for its interface.

The NES version was heavily censored, but this version is censored even more. Joe's Bar is called Joe's Place in this version. At the beginning of the game, the text about Ace being injected with something in the NES version was removed. That's not the only text that changed, though. There are text differences throughout.

I do like the updated visuals. The GBC version has a darker, grittier look than the NES version.

Most of the music is intact, and all of the areas and rooms have the same music that plays in the NES version. One difference I noticed, though, was in Ace's office (or when you're in front of the door). After shooting the guy behind the door, the same music keeps playing (the music that plays when you find the dead guy near the beginning). In the NES version, after shooting the guy in Ace's office, different music (the Deja Vu theme) plays. In the GBC version, the music in the section doesn't change after shooting the guy unless you leave and come back. So unless you know to do that, this version makes you listen to some obnoxious music while you gather files in Ace's office.

The NES version's end screen showing Ace Harding was removed, unfortunately. Instead, there's some text on a black screen saying what happens after Ace's victory and then Deja Vu II starts. The ending music is still in the game, but it only plays in Deja Vu II.

The NES version got me into detective movies and shows, such as Dick Tracy.

image.jpeg.53ff79ee7f594d69a79b0ab03ae992cd.jpeg

Deja Vu II: 

image.jpeg.f55df4c2de906ee9ba09c4a8ee0030e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.e0401aec7654d8e2a9806dfc3dfd0c6b.jpeg

I remember this was supposed to be released for the NES in 1993, under the title "Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas", and saw screenshots of it in Nintendo Power. It is the main reason why I bought Deja Vu I & II on Game Boy Color several years ago.

Not surprisingly, the sequel is basically like the first game but with new places to go (as well as some locations from the first game).

Near the beginning of the game, you can play Poker and earn chips. This is an easy way to make money for train rides. Riding in Cabs is free in this game.

Train rides, as mentioned above, are another mode of transportation in this game. However, you can't just get on one. You have to read the schedule in the Train Stations to find out when the Train you need to get on is arriving (or if its boarding), and which track it is on.

You get to see Ace's rundown apartment at one point in the game. You also get to visit some of the same areas as the first game.

Like the first game, the GBC version of Deja Vu II is heavily censored. Joe's Bar is once again called "Joe's Place", for example. It wouldn't surprise me if this version is also even more censored than the unreleased NES version, like how the first game is more censored than the NES version.

I hope the unreleased NES version is found someday. I wouldn't mind playing it.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy COLOR game - 25/445
  • 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg.aa681c57b9f2fe98fe7d062e9b029131.jpeg

image.jpeg.56575f53911180ac73446fcff5afd027.jpeg

Beat Donkey Kong Country. Found all of the bonus areas in addition to beating all of the levels.

This is a pretty impressive version of the game. All of the levels and bonus areas from the original are intact. The graphics are watered-down obviously, but are detailed for a Game Boy Color game.

image.jpeg.3ece45af07cc352025e7992007adc59a.jpeg

This version of the game is notable for its extra features. Among those features is an additional level called Necky Nutmare, which I recorded a video of and got through without getting hit (see video above). There are sticker packs hidden in some of the levels that unlock pictures, which can be printed with the Game Boy Printer (which actually works with the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Player, because they are compatible with Game Boy Pocket and Color Link Cables). Some levels have green bananas, indicating that a sticker is hidden nearby and can be found by using DK's hand slap. The game saves progress automatically, so instead of a save point Candy has Challenges that are basically variations of the bonus areas in the levels. You earn coins for winning these Challenges (I won them and got all six coins). There are some added minigames as well (one of which was updated and included in the GBA version).

Many of the music tracks are from Donkey Kong Land, though they sound slightly different. Other music tracks, like the credits music, are Game Boy Color versions of Donkey Kong Country's music. The original music for the Stop & Go Station level (and similar levels) was removed, so the music from the Mine Cart levels plays instead. The snow levels play the "Ice Cave Chant" music, while the Slipslide Ride level plays the Kremlantis music from Donkey Kong Land.

I had a lot of fun playing. Even in 8-bit, DKC is awesome (and so are the Donkey Kong Land games).

Oh, and I played the game with a Hori Digital Controller. The controls are very similar to the SNES version. A is jump, B is for doing rolls/cartwheels, and X/Select are for switching between DK and Diddy.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1