IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 160/566

Splain

Made a good dent in Lazlos' Leap tonight and got through 44 puzzles in about 3 hours.  Definitely not going for par on all of them.  I actually got kinda stuck on level 4, but at this point I believe I have some of the core concepts down (certainly not the advanced ones).  If I'm able to keep this pace, I will likely finish it sometime next week.  Then my next two games are supposedly quick and I might finish both in one night to bring my average closer to the 1 GB game per week I'm looking to hit this year.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 90/566

No worries on the delay on my end, but I'll hopefully be able to keep you busy with new updates this month.  I'm 16 levels shy of finishing Lazlos' Leap (might get that done tonight) and my next two games are super short (Battle Unit Zeoth & Chase HQ -- not calling dibs on either, just saying what was picked for me). I may have 3-4 more clears in short order!

• Like 1

Hi @Splain, I just noticed that my Bomberman GB completion isn't noted. Next time you update the charts, can you make that edit?

In other news, Lazlos' Leap is done.

6P7tgjT.jpg

I don't know why my total says 447 when par is 664. I definitely did not get par on all of them, or even most.  Maybe that score is actually 1447? Or maybe it doesn't count non-par levels in your total.  Either way, I finished all the levels.  #75 gave me the most hassle and that took about 2 hours to figure out overall.  The last level was pretty tough as well. For most of them, however, I was able to get by through identifying which marble needed to make the last move and making sure it stayed on the board while moving the furthest pieces closer to the center.  After a while, some of the patterns or common moves started to come together and I beat a lot of the later levels on my first or second try due to a basic familiarity of how things should be cleared. I never got a good sense of actual strategies or how to set up multi-marble jumps that would be needed for par, but it didn't matter much.  It would have been great to see some sort of final congratulations screen, but it's still satisfying to make it to the center each time.

I won't be streaming again until Monday, but I fully expect to beat my next two games: Battle Unit Zeoth and Chase H.Q. then.  Hope I'm right!

• Like 1

Xenon 2 complete.  I liked this one. Weird ending though. I know this is a port of an arcade game.  I wonder if it had some type of back story or they just didn’t know what to say when it was done.

C8B43E02-36D3-437B-9761-50844FEFCEC3.thumb.jpeg.7dbb6d2ac644823acd81d8030ee97ee7.jpeg

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

Alright, two more games down.

Battle Unit Zeoth

UleA9Hx.jpg

Level 3 gave me a bit of trouble, but this is a pretty simple, fun shooter with an interesting navigation gimmick with the floaty jumping.  Two of the levels are vertical and the rest are your typical horizontal fare. All are quite short. You get to carry over your powerups from the previous level, but your health also carries over and health powerups are not really effective. So, I relied on the unlimited continues quite a bit.  The bosses are huge, but really not much of a problem. For most I was able to find a good spot to sit and shoot, meaning this was done in less than an hour.

Chase H.Q.

KgEL3Qj.jpg

Another short game, but I absolutely hated this one.  The later levels are jammed full of completely unfair car placements, surprise turns and tons of crashes upon crashes that simply waste your time and force you to use those limited continues. It's extremely annoying that you can catch up to the target car and then all of a sudden some car gets in your way at the last second and they zoom off. Or, you hit him once and then he zooms away for 5-10 seconds (even though you're at max speed). Just so much cheap BS to contend with here that it was a chore to play. The one song and the grating siren sound effect made things worse. Not looking forward to the sequel, but I can only hope it's better.

Next up for me is Gremlins 2: The New batch.  This is one of those games I've owned since I was a kid but never was able to beat.  With unlimited continues and a good chunk of time to devote to it, I might finally conquer it this week.

• Like 2

Trip World completed. I have no clue why this game is so expensive.  It was fun but super short and easy, even for me.  It is Sunsoft and good for a short game but I have no idea why this game goes for multiple, hundred dollars.

73499632-288F-48F5-A26B-7EEE400E1933.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi! I'm new. I signed up just because I saw this thread. I love what's happening here. 🙂

I recently (after the new year) beat Catrap and Kirby's Dream Land. Hope these count.

I LOVED Catrap. Maybe one of my favorite puzzlers of all-time now. The cadence of not so hard, HARD, not so hard, was really fun and kept things flowing.

Kirby's was a fun quick one. I think it was the fourth world where I just floated around and completed the level, that was a bit odd. Looking forward to playing KDL2.

ED78DA0C-5A9B-40EE-B988-97F25247D2DF_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@withfoam Welcome along, and feel free to make an Introduce Yourself post in the Introduce Yourself section.

Also, if you like this idea, you should also consider playing the weekly NES competition.  From time to time, we've had weekly comps for other systems, but NES is the big one. We've done Game Boy before, I think, but I didn't get to participate in that one.

Regarding your posts, be sure to check the master list.  You're free to play and enjoy any game you want, but points are only awarded to those who beat a game first.  Both catrap and Kirby have been completed.  Sorry, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's best to check before you start.  Also, we are doing this as a fun community project so even though people can't technically claim games, as a community we generally let people do that.  Still, even I once completed a game someone else completed.  It was a bit of a bummer but that mistake was all on me.

Again, welcome aboard and let'sa go!

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, withfoam said:

Ahhh, thanks and sorry for the noise then. I thought I had read that folks were getting partial credit for ones already completed. No worries. On to something else now!

Honestly feel free to post when you complete something even if it's already been completed, you just won't get fake internet points for it. We still like to see it!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, RH said:

I also quickly beat Duck Tales last night.  Man, it was easier than I remembered but it was like muscle-memory kicked in and I just "knew" what paths to take.  I've probably not seriously played that game in +20 years too.

I'm really looking forward to playing DuckTales again, but I have it locked in at game #250 of my challenge so it will be a few more years.  Considering going for the best ending just to spend a little more time with it when it comes up. Never played DuckTales 2, so that should be interesting to finally experience afterwards.

9 hours ago, withfoam said:

Hi! I'm new. I signed up just because I saw this thread. I love what's happening here. 🙂

I recently (after the new year) beat Catrap and Kirby's Dream Land. Hope these count.

Welcome! We can certainly use an infusion (caffeine or otherwise) of Game Boy players. Catrap was one of those games that I thought only me and my brother knew about. It was our secret hidden gem, but I never beat all 100 levels. Some day!

Oh, and this year we did decide to give credit to everyone that clears the game (1 point if you're not the first to beat it), but it hasn't been done on this thread before, so it's not really reflected in the leaderboards yet.

37 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Oh, and this year we did decide to give credit to everyone that clears the game (1 point if you're not the first to beat it), but it hasn't been done on this thread before, so it's not really reflected in the leaderboards yet.

Ah! I thought I had read that. Glad I'm not going crazy. Let me know if I need to do something to get on the leaderboard. Think I'll start hunting up some games that haven't been done yet. :D

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Lol it's totally on me, I keep leaning back with my hand on my chin like 🤔 what's the most elegant way to implement this??

I just need to do it. Having a new guy that I owe points to will be good motivation. Welcome aboard @withfoam , I'll get your points up Soon

Also, if you're into building Game Boys, keep your eyes peeled on the Game Boy subreddit and discord server, we're about to start the Summer Modding/Build contest here in a couple days.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 97/566

Alright, Gremlins 2: The New Batch is done.

9XTKPuq.jpg

Well, aside from the graphics, cutscenes and music, this game largely sucks. The first level is a good difficulty, but then it ramps up 10 fold for each level thereafter with compound interest. Level 4 is essentially a beginner's Kaizo experience with really stupid frame perfect jumps everywhere and virtually unavoidable death traps in many places.  Then there's that terrible blind zig zag section which is extremely hard on its own even if you could see what you're doing. I wish there were some more powerups, like additional hearts to pick up, or a jumping power. I also wish the levels were easier with slightly more difficult bosses.  I beat the final boss my first try (so thankful for that), so the amount of swearing I ended up doing tonight was lower than expected. If this didn't have unlimited continues, it may be near impossible. Even with them, it felt impossible at times. Not fun.

I'm not currently playing Wizards & Warriors X: The Fortress of Fear. I got an hour of practice and exploration in tonight and made it to level 3.1.  It's a pretty fascinating little platformer so far, but I do worry that having to restart from scratch each time will get old.  Might have this one done on Wednesday? 

• Like 3

Well, didn't crack the code on Fortress of Fear tonight after all.  I can get to level 5.0 and I'm pretty sure it's a maze of some type. I haven't found the boss, but have encountered the same rooms through different doors. There's also a single chest that I know of in that level that I haven't been able to open yet, but I would be surprised if it was necessary to move on.

I'm hopeful I can figure out the path on Monday when I play again. If I can find a good pattern to the level 4 bird boss, then even better. Everything else is relatively simple at this point and I've located enough secrets to keep lives full up until that bird.  It's been pretty fun exploring everything and steadily making more progress with each run.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 98/566

Wizards & Warriors X: The Fortress of Fear is done

f3RMM7p.jpg

It took longer than I wanted it to but this was still an enjoyable experience.  Sure, it might be better if there were limited continues, or if you could stack more than 9 lives, or if the keys & power-ups stayed in place after you died or were more prevalent or if there was an offensive upgrade. I believe the NES game is a bit more Metroid-like in that you get items in one area and then explore a different area. This one is extremely linear. Still, considering an understanding the limitations of the game it was fun exploring the levels and looking for hidden areas or different exits and learning boss patterns. I wouldn't have minded a sequel on Game Boy.

I also started my next game NBA Live 96 tonight, but after three tries, I have not managed a single win. There is A LOT wrong with this gross looking game. Due to other life stuff, I don't think I'll be able to try this more until next week, so maybe someone can swoop in and win game #100 for this year in the meantime?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, nobody took down game #100 over the holiday weekend, so I guess I'll claim it tonight.

NBA Live '96 is done

SWtCKL8.jpg

zE67yix.jpg

What an absolutely horrible mess of a game this is on Game Boy. I have never seen so much tearing in the sprites as you see here. Nearly half of the horizontal lines are missing most of the time. The frame rate is constantly chugging and it has what feels like a significant input delay. Your characters will move around like they're on a hockey rink. Even though there's a circle underneath, you will never know what specific player it is that you're controlling. There's no number or position indicator. That makes it impossible to understand if it's a good idea to shoot the 3 or pass to someone better. Almost always shoot 3's. I found layups and close shots miss 80% of the time, but 3 pointers will hit 35-50%. There's even some bad programming that I discovered from watching all the buzzer beating full/half court shots go in. In some games, and in some cases, this is surprisingly your most effective shot. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a godsend in this hellish experience and you connect 60-80% when the game lets you take advantage of the exploit.  There are no passwords possible in playoff-only mode. I tried playing Arcade mode several times and made it to the conference finals, but switched to "simulation" mode which plays by actual basketball rules. Both are BS in their own ways. You will pass to no one very, very often. You will never rebound effectively. There is no steal button, so forget about that. To top it off, the game froze right after it started flashing the NBA Champs graphic. Terrible. Bottom 10 game so far.

Next up, I'll be playing Yoshi's Cookie, which will be a first time experience (on any platform). I'm hoping it will be a palate cleanser.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Yoshi's Cookie is done.

R9QyAsF.jpg

Well, it's certainly not my favorite puzzle game, but it's not bad.  The early levels are way too easy and I found that there's a little bit too much reliance on RNG to work in your favor on the later levels when you're down to 2-4 pieces before new rows & columns crash down and overload the board again. If the game doesn't give you the right combo within that short window of time, you're back to massive damage control and that doesn't make for a fun "puzzle" to me. I think I would prefer a mode where you can clear all the cookies in a certain number of moves.  Still, it's fun - even if Mario and Yoshi don't understand the concept of supply and demand. I ended up beating it on Medium, and I'll keep it on my revisit list to go through level 10 on High and "earn" the code for levels 11-99 and possibly do that last difficulty as well.

For now, I'm moving on to the next game: Pocahontas. I'll be starting that up on Monday and hopefully finishing it.

• Like 3

On 6/3/2022 at 9:04 AM, Philosoraptor said:

Wow! Congrats everyone for 100 games beaten this year! I'm glad to see this thread is still going strong.

I think hitting 200 may be tough this year, but you never know what might happen!  Definitely could never have gotten this far without all your help!

• Like 1