IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 160/566

Splain

Malibu Beach Volleyball is done. I played the Japanese version, Seaside Volley (DMG-SVJ) included in the Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ). 

aNzNmumm.jpgpoj25Y0m.jpg7O6Jr5vm.jpg

Seaside Volley is almost entirely in English, aside from the name of the game on the title screen. The text on the ending screen text is a bit different, too. Gameplay-wise, the only difference I noticed was that Malibu Beach Volleyball shows an "X" where the ball will land, whereas Seaside Volley doesn't. I'm not sure whether it's a good or bad thing, since I saw some people in gameplay videos being misled by the X in Malibu Beach Volleyball. I ended up just watching the shadow of the ball.

I think this is a pretty well-executed, no-frills volleyball game. It's fun, and no element or strategy seemed broken, which seems rarer than it should be in old sports games. The computer difficulty is also fair, if not a tad easy. The only gripes I have are very minor. There were some situations where the game selected the player I wasn't expecting when trying to return spikes, and there were also times where the game interpreted my player as too close to the ball to dive, but not close enough to hit it. I also never figured out how to jump and block opposing spikes, but that's fine. I won a lot of points because the computer struggled to block spikes, so I don't think that's a winning strategy in this game.

Good times

• Like 2

Heavyweight Championship Boxing is KO'd. I played the Japanese version, Boxing (DMG-BXA) included in the Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ). 

KEX1Vrkm.jpg

I'm sensing a pattern here, Tonkin House.

Wwi0C3km.jpg0MCk3dsm.jpg

Boxing is entirely in English. Gameplay-wise, changes were again minimal from Japan to the States. In Heavyweight Championship Boxing, there is square to the center of the screen to indicate when your punches will hit or miss. Aside from that, it's the same, at least to my untrained eye.

Most of the changes were made in the "translation." Heavyweight Championship Boxing added the text "The new, undisputed, heavyweight champion of the world!" to the ending instead of just rolling the credits like Boxing. Also, the boxers got worse names and sometimes completely different nationalities (thanks Activision!):

• Mai Taison -> "The Champ"
  • Rocky Star -> "Lightning Lou"
  • Joe Ibuki -> "Tokyo Thunder"
  • Eiwa Akai (Japan Champ) -> "Johnny Jab" (Australian Champ)
  • John Wild -> "Lefty O'Hook"
  • Aporo Food -> "Mike Mauler"
  • Mister Tonkin -> "The Hitman"

So, is the game good? It's fun enough, and once again nothing was unbalanced or broken. It's got some depth and neat mechanics, too. The game wants you to try to sell out for your K.O. punches to knock down opponents, but because of how difficult it is to block anything, I just ended up throwing punches in bunches to down everyone. 

On a side note, I beat this game fast enough to be considered third on the Speedrun.com leaderboard...

mxDh6gqm.png

...Because there are only two scores submitted. 

PODIUM, BABY!!!

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice work @Philosoraptor!  I'm not an RPG guy, but I remember playing FFA as a kid and enjoying that one more than most.  I'm certainly expecting to have more fun with it than I did with FFL1.

I wish Game Boy had some more unconventional sports games like Volleyball. It's strange that there's only 2 pool games, 1 bowling and 1 volleyball.

On my end, I beat The Amazing Spider-Man tonight.

MwQ3yo9.jpg

Check out Mary Jane's punk rock phase! It took way too many attempts.  I'm pretty sure that the game will not allow you to continue if you're on the Venom fight. Unless I miscounted twice, I got there with an extra continue in the hole, but failed as it went to the straight-up game over screen.  So, on my winning run, I purposefully lost lives to use the continue right before I triggered the fight.

Otherwise, the game is average, but had the potential to be great if there was more polish and a bit more attention paid to those last two levels. Good graphics for a super early GB game, good music. 6 completely different boss fights. Interesting enough levels. But terrible controls and some unfair elements knock it down some notches.

Next up for me is one that has been completed this year already, but it's my 100th game milestone for my personal challenge, so I'll be playing Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge and hopefully beating it for the first time.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, Floating Platforms said:

@koifish The way I have my challenge set up, I only play 3 non-racing sports games for every 25, but I'll be joining you on the baseball front this year. 6 games from now will be a baseball game. I haven't played one of those since late 2020.

As far as recording gameplay goes, I'm not sure this is what you're asking but any capture device should be able to record from a console. If you're planning to run off an emulator and a PC, you might actually only need something like streamlabs, which also has a record function. I don't think you have to be live to activate that, but could be wrong.

I can't help with the button inputs thing. I know some streamers and speedrunners will have a graphic of the controller to show what buttons they're pressing, but since I do it all on a SNES/SGB2, it's not an option for me. My guess is there's some sort of other program for that to download.

@Splain I was looking at the list and I noticed that some of the point values are wrong, because a few of my first time clears from last year are still showing as 6 point first timers again.  I'm not sure how widespread these are, but here are ones that I've cleared in the past year or so: High Stakes Gambling, Hyper Lode Runner, Krusty's Fun House, Riddick Bowe (5 points, but still bold), Sports Illustrated Golf Classic.  A couple of the others sound familiar from the 2021 list as well. When you get a chance, can you confirm that?

You actually cleared Hyper Lode Runner? I bow to my superior orz. Last time I played I got stuck on level 11 and didn't pick up again :0

There are a number of baseball games on GB, and some are easier than others. Curious to see which one you end up picking.

As it turns out, the movie feature on bsnes does exactly what @0xDEAFC0DE said it did. I thought it was a video recorder, but here it records game input instead. So, I'll be recording my inputs and then hopefully put together a video of the Animaniacs special ending.

I have another question for you knowledgeable types, is it possible to mix and match save files between emulators? I ask because I made X progress on Game and Watch Gallery, but that was in bgb; When I load it in bsnes, the save file doesn't get loaded. Wasn't sure if there was a feature to make that work or not. If the same save files can get transferred to and from flash carts, then that would also be useful info to have, if you have it.

10 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Otherwise, the game is average, but had the potential to be great if there was more polish and a bit more attention paid to those last two levels. Good graphics for a super early GB game, good music. 6 completely different boss fights. Interesting enough levels. But terrible controls and some unfair elements knock it down some notches.

One thing that hurts it is that the controls are actually given incorrectly in the manual. I don't remember the details, but there's a specific way to trigger the web-swinging reliably, and it doesn't at all match what the manual says.

I agree that it's about average but could've been great. It's been trashed as "unplayable", "impossibly hard", etc. and that's obviously nonsense -- I beat the game within 3 hours of when I first picked it up.

• Wow! 1

9 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Nice work @Philosoraptor!  I'm not an RPG guy, but I remember playing FFA as a kid and enjoying that one more than most.  I'm certainly expecting to have more fun with it than I did with FFL1.

Thanks! You too! Congrats on beating The Amazing Spider Man!

I'm honestly not a big traditional RPG guy either, at least not until the PS1 era. For various reasons, even the touted and praised classics like Chrono Trigger and FF3/6 haven't been able to hold my attention long enough to see them to completion, despite multiple attempts.

I haven't played any of the FF Legends games, but I do know that they're actually games in the SaGa series, not Final Fantasy. The only one of those I've played was Unlimited Saga on the PS2, and...let's just say it wasn't for me. I'm not sure who it was for. 

10 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

I wish Game Boy had some more unconventional sports games like Volleyball. It's strange that there's only 2 pool games, 1 bowling and 1 volleyball.

Yeah. I would have really liked to see more variety, too. Funny enough, I initially bought Sports Collection because it has a dodge ball game on it. I know of at least two others: Battle Dodge Ball and the mediocre Kunio Dodge Ball game I played earlier this year. A Kunio Volleyball game exists as well. I get why licensing issues or imagined disinterest prevented Banpresto from releasing basically none of their games in the USA, but I wonder why we didn't get certain Kunio games. We got River City Ransom, Nintendo World Cup soccer, and Crash 'n' the Boys, but why did we not get stuff like the multitude of other Game Boy games, the SFC games, or the hockey or basketball game for the FC? Did they really think the hockey and basketball game wouldn't find an audience in the same part of the globe where the sports were invented? 

11 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Next up for me is one that has been completed this year already, but it's my 100th game milestone for my personal challenge, so I'll be playing Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge and hopefully beating it for the first time.

This is one of my childhood games, but I've never beaten it, or any Mega Man game, for that matter. I need to fix that.

Good luck, and congratulations on your milestone! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, koifish said:

You actually cleared Hyper Lode Runner? I bow to my superior orz. Last time I played I got stuck on level 11 and didn't pick up again :0

There are a number of baseball games on GB, and some are easier than others. Curious to see which one you end up picking.

I did indeed.  Checking my info, it was a little over 40 hours without a guide. I did have to draw my own diagram for one level so I could figure out what order to break the blocks a bit easier.  I checked the thread from last year and I actually noted that I got through level 11 pretty quickly, but it was kind of a fluke occurrence. There was a giant ladder with a brick wall on the side. I was trying to figure out the sequence and timing of digging through all that when suddenly one of the robots came by and fell in which gave me the perfect opportunity to swoop down and grab the gold I was working towards.

Eventually, the game mechanics aren't new anymore but just harder, so I understood what to do, but there were levels where it took over an hour to actually do it right with the tight timing.

The baseball game that one the Sports category viewer vote was Extra Bases. That'll be game #104 for me and maybe I'll get to it this month! I don't do the same sport twice in a row, so that'll be it for baseball until at least game #118 (I promise there's a system to all this).

7 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

One thing that hurts it is that the controls are actually given incorrectly in the manual. I don't remember the details, but there's a specific way to trigger the web-swinging reliably, and it doesn't at all match what the manual says.

I agree that it's about average but could've been great. It's been trashed as "unplayable", "impossibly hard", etc. and that's obviously nonsense -- I beat the game within 3 hours of when I first picked it up.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I got stuck on the first tall stack of boxes in the first level.  The manual says you need to do a long jump (left/right + hold A) and hold B to do the web swing. You do not need to press B at all, you just need to be high enough in the air for long enough. If you're standing on things in a level, you can usually jump straight up and it will trigger (which can be a problem as well depending on what you're trying to do). I didn't discover the straight up web swing until about hour 3 and that helped greatly with Doc Ock's level.

Looks like most of the Game Boy challengers I follow beat it in 1.5-2.5 hours, but it took me 4. I might have done it in 3 like you if I didn't waste two attempts learning that continues aren't allowed in the middle of the venom fight...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Looks like most of the Game Boy challengers I follow beat it in 1.5-2.5 hours, but it took me 4. I might have done it in 3 like you if I didn't waste two attempts learning that continues aren't allowed in the middle of the venom fight...

I checked my notes and it took me 127 minutes over 3 sessions in a single day, so I guess I'm extremely average! 🙂 I don't remember how I dealt with the Venom fight except a vague recollection that I brute-forced it using extra lives.

I want to tackle the sequels but both of them seem like more of a hassle than the first, especially #2. I don't mind janky games, but janky games with puzzle elements are harder to swallow.

• Like 1

Another Japanese exclusive, Dodge Boy (DMG-DOJ), is done. It's also in the Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ). 

zPyKXBqm.jpg3taORgCm.jpgrM0ilFcm.jpg

I'm noticing that the more girls there are in a Tonkin House game, the worse it is.

This game consistently eats inputs. It also has a half-ish second input delay from when you press the button to catch the ball to when that signal gets to your player's brain and he does it. But the worst thing about it is the camera perspective:

e2jNRGRm.jpg

When your opposition has the ball, your half of the dodgeball court is offscreen, which means you never really know how far away your targeted player is, if he is facing the right direction, or when you should mash B to attempt to catch the ball (hint - because of the delay, it's before they throw it).

At least they didn't make it ludicrously difficult. It's also almost all in English like the other games. So there's that.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

The final Japanese exclusive of the Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ)Roadster (DMG-RSA), is done.

ox5WL1Gm.jpg

I mistimed the picture to catch the flashing name of my driver - Kaori - who is #1 in the rankings.

GGtGM6Tm.jpgqWZml1lm.jpg

The Retron 5 crashed on me immediately after the "Best 1" screen. I raced all the tracks in the 20 Race mode, and credits would have appeared on the next screen, according to this video:

It's alright. Bland, solid, and inoffensive. There are a few dirt tracks with slidey physics and obstacles, and there are some jumps in the very last few races, but a majority of the the races have no surprises. It's also all in English.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

I checked my notes and it took me 127 minutes over 3 sessions in a single day, so I guess I'm extremely average! 🙂 I don't remember how I dealt with the Venom fight except a vague recollection that I brute-forced it using extra lives.

I want to tackle the sequels but both of them seem like more of a hassle than the first, especially #2. I don't mind janky games, but janky games with puzzle elements are harder to swallow.

I tend to spend more time than others on games. I don't have the speedrunning tactics in my veins like other console challengers do.  That's pretty much how I handled the Venom fight, too. Stuck near the right and kicked when he appeared on that side and tried to dodge his webs from the left.

It looks like Spider-Man 2 is between 2-5 hours, Spider-Man 3 is about 2 hours and Spider-Man/X-Men in Arcade's Revenge is about 1.5.  Maybe they won't be as bad as you think?  I personally don't own any of those yet so it'll be a while before I get to find out.

• Like 1

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge is done after nearly 30 years of owning the cartridge. (This would be the second game where I was not the first person to claim victory in 2022).

pTEiLv5.jpg

I know that as a kid I was able to get pretty far, but I honestly don't recall if I ever got to Dr. Wily himself.  That last password covers a lot of ground, but thankfully if you make it past the second batch of bosses and keep continuing, you stay in the last phase of Wily's layer and don't have to fight them again until turning off the game. That last level was obscenely long and I have a nasty tendency to not use the sub-weapons on regular enemies so that I can save it for the boss, so I failed a lot more than I probably should have. After making it to Wily and testing weapons out, I was able to use the other stuff to make my path to Wily easier. Anyway, everyone already knows this, but the game is great. By no means does it really feel like a watered down NES game. It's its own thing with fantastic sprites, great music, tough but mostly fair level design. Sure the bosses are re-used from the NES but they're new to me since I only played MM3 as a kid.

I'm glad I was able to conquer this after so many years and the thought of beating it as game #100 for my challenge definitely gave me extra motivation.  I still don't own any of the other GB titles unfortunately but I'm looking forward to getting through the series eventually.

Next up for me is Super Scrabble - another cartridge I've owned since I was a kid. Doubt my vocabulary has improved much since then.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

The final game of the Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ), Soccer (DMG-GSA), is done. It was released in Europe as Football International, but I'm not sure if my completion of Soccer should count for a completion of Football International. More on that later.

mUOihk0m.jpgFbzupyLm.jpg

Throughout the course of the World Cup, I engaged in many "nice fights:"
cYcQRnkm.jpg

Was a victim of many yellow cards for, and only for, "kicking!!:"

HVmMtQkm.jpg

And beat teams by totally not soccer scores. This was the World Cup final (with three minute halves):

arNZ69Qm.jpg

So why shouldn't it count? The same reason Soccer isn't good: bad AI. 

The first, smaller issue, is the position player AI. The first three matches can easily be won by running straight up the middle of the pitch and shooting the ball directly at the keeper. Pay him no mind, he's actually a phantom - shots mostly go right through him. Additionally, in these first three matches, position players either run away from you or try to slide tackle you from teen feet away. Eventually, at about match four, they start slide tackling somewhat closer to you and doing something that can vaguely be called defense (yay!) even though the right and left backs still run from you (can't win 'em all).

The second, and most glaring issue in Soccer, is the goalkeeper AI/bug. At about match four, he stops shots kicked directly at him (yay!). Because of that, I had to find another strategy to score. What I ended up discovering is that he MIRRORS WHERE THE BALL IS ON THE PITCH. So, if you run up the pitch by the sideline...

iIhOzltm.jpg

He's there too. This means goals can easily be scored, even in the finals of the World Cup, by just running at an angle directly into the goal.

j7jZK4em.jpg

Bandai fixed this in the European release of Football International. The goalie is still slow and still mirrors where the ball is on the pitch, but he stays in front of the goal and seems to stop more shots in the first three matches, making Football International the harder and better of the two games. I can't tell if Bandai also improved position player AI from the two short gameplay videos of Football International on Youtube.

So that's why I think Soccer should count for the Japanese-exclusive 3 points instead of 6 and a first time completion of Football International.

It's a shame. This game has the best OST of the Tonkin House games I played. It's got some legit bops. Like the others, it's also fully in English. If it weren't for the goalie AI bug/issue, I'd say that Soccer is the best game of the compilation. Because of it, I'd say it's Seaside Volley. I'd also say we didn't miss much by not getting Dodge Boy or Roadster.

Also, for anyone wondering whether Tonkin House managed to somehow sneak in an unnecessary, fanservice-y picture of a girl into a soccer game...

O48uX5Bm.jpg

yep.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 2

On 2/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Floating Platforms said:

I did indeed.  Checking my info, it was a little over 40 hours without a guide. I did have to draw my own diagram for one level so I could figure out what order to break the blocks a bit easier.  I checked the thread from last year and I actually noted that I got through level 11 pretty quickly, but it was kind of a fluke occurrence. There was a giant ladder with a brick wall on the side. I was trying to figure out the sequence and timing of digging through all that when suddenly one of the robots came by and fell in which gave me the perfect opportunity to swoop down and grab the gold I was working towards.

Eventually, the game mechanics aren't new anymore but just harder, so I understood what to do, but there were levels where it took over an hour to actually do it right with the tight timing.

The baseball game that one the Sports category viewer vote was Extra Bases. That'll be game #104 for me and maybe I'll get to it this month! I don't do the same sport twice in a row, so that'll be it for baseball until at least game #118 (I promise there's a system to all this).

Yeah, I noticed that too when I got stuck on the first tall stack of boxes in the first level.  The manual says you need to do a long jump (left/right + hold A) and hold B to do the web swing. You do not need to press B at all, you just need to be high enough in the air for long enough. If you're standing on things in a level, you can usually jump straight up and it will trigger (which can be a problem as well depending on what you're trying to do). I didn't discover the straight up web swing until about hour 3 and that helped greatly with Doc Ock's level.

Yeah, I feel like that's how it goes for Lode Runner. I more or less understand how to play, but that level just stonewalled me. I will have to go back to it someday and see what happens.

As for Extra Bases, that should be a relaxing one for you. It's probably the easiest baseball game on the system, at least that I'm aware of. It requires you to beat a number of teams, but they aren't particularly difficult, and you get a password after each game, so it's not an endurance run like, say, Bases Loaded, nor a more demanding game like All-Star Baseball. Extra Bases is the western GB rebranding of the Famista series from Namco, in case you are curious. The series got all kinds of names here, including RBI Baseball on NES and Batter Up! on Game Gear. Rather unusual how things went back then with naming, isn't it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, koifish said:

As for Extra Bases, that should be a relaxing one for you. It's probably the easiest baseball game on the system, at least that I'm aware of. It requires you to beat a number of teams, but they aren't particularly difficult, and you get a password after each game, so it's not an endurance run like, say, Bases Loaded, nor a more demanding game like All-Star Baseball. Extra Bases is the western GB rebranding of the Famista series from Namco, in case you are curious. The series got all kinds of names here, including RBI Baseball on NES and Batter Up! on Game Gear. Rather unusual how things went back then with naming, isn't it?

I always forget which one is the RBI re-brand. Extra Bases should be a breeze. I played RBI on NES so much that I beat every team with every other team.

• Like 1

The European-exclusive R-Type II is done.

qiQqjFym.jpg3Iy5SAGm.jpgtyi4ZBum.jpg

Amazing SHMUP. Best one I've played on the GB yet, and a significant improvement over the first. It's absolutely brutal, too. Unless you die in one or two very, very specific spots, you might as well restart. The Gradius syndrome is in full force in this one.

• Like 3

The Japanese exclusive Battle Dodge Ball (DMG-D6J) is done. 

otgky5Om.jpgcgRwNFsm.jpgn5Y596xm.jpg

Heeeeey! Who doesn't like Gundams, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and dodgeball? Nobody. That's who.

This is the best of the three dodge ball games I've played on the GB. What really wins it is how solid the mechanics are. Minimal flicker and serviceable controls alone make it a better game than the other two, but it also has a good camera and perspective as well.

While there isn't a lot of flash to this version, Battle Dodge Ball makes up for it by having variety. All six teams have different courts with different gimmicks, such as low and high gravity, slippery floor, and so on. The main mode also mixes RPG elements; win or lose, you get points to level up your character's attributes (shot, movement speed, defense, jump, power, and special throw). Leveling up your secondary teammate also levels up their dopplegangers around the opposing court. By the end, you have enough points to max out one of your teammates, but the other will be severely underleveled.

However, you can't really over-level to beat teams due to good power scaling and the very short window you have to catch an incoming dodgeball. I didn't time it precisely, but we're talking maybe something like five frames. However, it could be a bit more or less than that. Anyway, not a lot of time is the point. So you have to both level up and think up better strategies to win. For example, I ended up moving out of the way of dodgeballs thrown downward at me from a distance to avoid having to catch the ball.

There also aren't continues or anything. You just try again. Dodgeball games are short, but to beat the game, you have to beat each team 10 times, which equates to 50 wins. It probably took me 6 hours to beat, including losses. I think any more than that, it would have started to get tedious.

• Like 2

Another Japanese exclusive, the vertically-scrolling SHMUP Taiyou no Yuusha Fighbird GB (DMG-TYJ), is done.

hCsovD4m.jpgtftGNhPm.jpg

Maybe the easiest SHMUP I've ever played. I beat it on the hardest difficulty without dying on my very first attempt. It helps that the game gives you eight hits before you die, all the levels have lots health restoring items, and you quickly get two absolute steamrollers for attacks that are quickly rechargeable. One fires a bunch of bullets forward and covers about half the screen, and the other fires bullets in a fan pattern easily hitting anything on the sides of the screen. With only a couple enemies or a large boss on screen, you can also spam your attack to cause slowdown and make the game even easier.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink Zoop is done. @Splain, I beat levels 1-9, which are all the selectable levels in Level Mode. However, the back of the box says there are 99 levels. I assume that's more of a "level 29 kill screen in Tetris" sort of boast, but let me know if you think I need to do more or if what I've done is sufficient. The highest score in the first screenshot is for levels 1-7, and the third, fourth, and fifth high score cover levels 8 and 9.

Other versions don't have new backgrounds after level 10, but all of them look the same on the GB ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I9hjg3Cm.jpg0y72dBXm.jpg

I've owned this since I was a kid, and I've always been indifferent towards it. It doesn't make me mad like Daedalian Opus, but I wouldn't consider it super fun either. Of all the puzzle games out there, it certainly is one of them.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super Scrabble is done

GMxnOBR.jpg

It took me two tries, although I came surprisingly close in the first game. The second game I pulled away early by playing "Violets" on the opening draw & move to use all my tiles. The CPU ended up having a lot of trouble in this match for some reason - timing out a couple times and dumping & re-drawing a bunch (I played on Medium -- level 3). It was tough for me after a while as well, but thankfully they didn't pull too many stupid two-letter combos out of their butt to come back. The computer knows all the words where as I hadn't heard of many words they played. It doesn't help my confidence when "oink" wasn't recognized as legitimate in this cart. I know you can override and get the points anyway, but I played it straight and used their dictionary exclusively.

Im1LrC8.jpg

I also tried the solitaire mode, but the high score table is shared with the normal vs mode. I didn't place in my run. Basically, depending on difficulty, you are given X time to use up all the tiles and score as high as you could. If it had a separate leader board, I would try it more, but this speed mode is a fun novelty and nothing more.

Next up I'll be playing Bomberman GB. Might not get to start that until Monday, though.

• Like 3