IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2022 - 160/566

Splain

Goal! is done. Goal was one of the few games I owned for Game Boy as a kid. Why Goal? I have no idea. I don't know what possessed me to fork over whatever portion of my meager allowance or birthday cash it cost. I hated soccer as a kid.

...But when there's nothing else to play, Hell hath no fury like a bored kid on a road trip.

Group stage:

4F3IIr3m.jpg

Super Cup:

QqKxCnSm.jpgJJk59pMm.jpgnTvBHk5m.jpg

UW4326nm.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted
20 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Also BTW, I don't know if we're counting weird Japanese exclusives, but I beat Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball-Bu: Kyōteki! Dodge Senshi no Maki yesterday as well. It's terrible and absolutely busted at times. For everything they got right with Super Dodge Ball on the NES, they got wrong here.

Yep, we'll keep doing it like in previous years, where JPN clears are all worth 3 points each, and I'll add them to the bottom of the list as they're cleared. I'm not listing them all out 😠

• Like 1

Uhhh...Nintendo...

Xd8t0xsm.jpg

2IMsQrCm.jpg

...OK. Sure. Whatever. Not sure if that's much better (it's supposed to be a scale).

Anyway, Mario's Picross is done. I wasn't expecting to spend 20 hours playing picross this weekend, but here we are. 

jnkxmutm.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, Splain said:

Yep, we'll keep doing it like in previous years, where JPN clears are all worth 3 points each, and I'll add them to the bottom of the list as they're cleared. I'm not listing them all out 😠

Fair! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:13 PM, Philosoraptor said:

Blades of Steel is done. I won on the tournament on College difficulty with Toronto.

a7xGrKhm.jpgMYUaLlom.jpgT0KHeVzm.jpg

Yet another game that's way better than it should be.

Interesting that you say that. I played it on Pro League late last year and had something of a miserable time. The graphics are incredible, but found the AI in that difficulty to be slightly punishing and the goalie passed to the CPU often then too!

Quick update on my progress: I'm still chipping away at Wave Race. After 4 more hours of trying tonight, I finally beat 650 cc World Series. The Rio track is my arch nemesis. I've only done the very first slalom so far just to test it out, but I'll wait until I finish the circuit mode since I have the tracks in my head.  I also just passed the 700 hour mark for my overall GB challenge tonight. Considering I started in mid-2018 that's really not all that much, but always interesting to see the next round number arrive.

It's good that we're giving out points for being the next person to clear it. My next few games are already set in stone by viewers/milestones and a couple have been conquered by others on this thread!  Still, it's awesome to see all the progress so far.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Bubble Bobble Part 2 is done. For whatever reason, only one stage and one boss of the eight gave me significant trouble (as in, cost me three lives), and neither were in the last world. Thank you unlimited continues.

FQwDb9km.jpg

I don't know how I feel about this one. I like the ability to bubble instead of having to jump on bubbles, which I always struggled with. But for whatever reason, I think I like the original NES Bubble Bobble more. Maybe it's the long waits after you've killed all the enemies, or maybe it's just not as magical. I've heard similar things of the NES version of Bubble Bobble Part 2 as well, but that's one I'll probably never own.

On my "to play" list this year is the European SMS version of Bubble Bobble, which has twice the stages the NES one has. I have high hopes for that one.

36 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Interesting that you say that. I played it on Pro League late last year and had something of a miserable time. The graphics are incredible, but found the AI in that difficulty to be slightly punishing and the goalie passed to the CPU often then too!

I got glimpses of that on College difficulty. Goalie camping is real. I found out later that I had more luck just passing quickly instead of holding on to the puck. I also noticed that the AI will periodically swarm the front of your net when it thinks it's time to score a goal, and there's not much you can do about it.

I'll have to play it on Pro later and report back.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

I just played the first round of the tournament with Toronto and got the same opponent, Chicago, on Pro difficulty. The difference is staggering. I was beating teams by double digits on College difficulty, but I only managed to win 5-4 on Pro.

Here's what I noticed:

• The computer tries to shoot 90% of the time or more from almost anywhere on the ice. They were using it as a way to make super long passes. Manning a CPU ahead of the shooter and intercepting those "shots" was a great way to get more possession of the puck.
  • Because of this shot-first mentality, selling out and putting someone between you and the goalie prevented a LOT of shots. I only got one goal scored on me as a result of a heady pass, and that was only after the AI was swarming my goalie and had already shot twice.
  • Similarly, I don't like passing much. If I don't get bumped a bunch before I get in the offensive zone, I skate in front of the goal, shoot, and let the computer bump me during my windup. That seems like a decently reliable way to score or get a juicy rebound.
  • Quick passes from the goalie help a lot with goalie camping, but it still sometimes happened. If it did happen, quick passes usually were intercepted by an opponent that's further away, which gave me time to react. If they successfully set up camp in front of my goalie, I tried to take out players directly in front of the goalie with the goalie himself as much as possible.  
  • Try to man someone between the opponent's goalie and his teammates. I got a goal or two by giving them a taste of their own medicine.
  • Make sure your goalie sticks close to the pipes. I let a couple of bad-angle goals in because I wasn't thinking. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daedalian Opus is done.

J3LcLyim.jpgfaWKj7jm.jpg

I hate this game. I think maybe half of the pentamino puzzles had thought put into them, either by being interesting shapes or by only using some of the pentaminos you are given. The other half were nothing but rectangular-shaped, trial- and error-filled frustrations. 

And the game gloats about it. "Oh man, this next puzzle has 2,339 different configurations (and have fun putting a bunch of pieces in the puzzle only to find out the last one doesn't fit...tee hee)."

Speaking of which, you can rotate and flip the pieces, making for even more trial and error (and an actual total of 18 different shapes.) Several of the crap puzzles were just me spending well over an hour putting pieces in and taking them all back out again only to eventually luck out with the right configuration.

The only bright side is that, even though the manual says in several places that there are 42 puzzles, the NA version only has 36. It may be one of the only times I've been happy we got less content in a game than Japan. 

So, no, Dr. P, it hasn't been "radical." You bastard.

Or maybe I'm an idiot.

...but you're still a bastard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Mole Mania is done!

2ZHZBFCm.jpg

And it's what a puzzle game should be: FUN!

Everything is just right about this one. Length, challenge, controls, concept. All stellar. Each world has a new gimmick, too, so nothing gets stale. 

Now back to playing the last of three puzzle games I started last weekend. I hope to have it done sometime next week, but I might pop in something else in the meantime to stave off puzzle fatigue.

• Like 5

On 1/18/2022 at 12:27 PM, Philosoraptor said:

I just played the first round of the tournament with Toronto and got the same opponent, Chicago, on Pro difficulty. The difference is staggering. I was beating teams by double digits on College difficulty, but I only managed to win 5-4 on Pro.

Here's what I noticed:

• The computer tries to shoot 90% of the time or more from almost anywhere on the ice. They were using it as a way to make super long passes. Manning a CPU ahead of the shooter and intercepting those "shots" was a great way to get more possession of the puck.
  • Because of this shot-first mentality, selling out and putting someone between you and the goalie prevented a LOT of shots. I only got one goal scored on me as a result of a heady pass, and that was only after the AI was swarming my goalie and had already shot twice.
  • Similarly, I don't like passing much. If I don't get bumped a bunch before I get in the offensive zone, I skate in front of the goal, shoot, and let the computer bump me during my windup. That seems like a decently reliable way to score or get a juicy rebound.
  • Quick passes from the goalie help a lot with goalie camping, but it still sometimes happened. If it did happen, quick passes usually were intercepted by an opponent that's further away, which gave me time to react. If they successfully set up camp in front of my goalie, I tried to take out players directly in front of the goalie with the goalie himself as much as possible.  
  • Try to man someone between the opponent's goalie and his teammates. I got a goal or two by giving them a taste of their own medicine.
  • Make sure your goalie sticks close to the pipes. I let a couple of bad-angle goals in because I wasn't thinking. 

I'll also add that if you have the lead by 1 or 2 goals, you can honestly gain possession and just circle the net until time runs out. They rarely chase you back there for some reason. I cheesed a couple victories in the tournament that way.

When I played, I had a hell of a time trying to use my defenders to intercept their passes intentionally. Often times when I tried, I would miss and then the goalie was too slow to get back in position to stop the goal.

• Like 1

Still toiling away at Wave Race.  24 hours+ so far.  I really wanted to at least get one game done by the end of January, but I don't know if I'll make it.  I'm stuck on 800cc World Series Circuit. The closest I've come is 28/31 points. It is ridiculously hard to be consistent on most of those tracks. Pretty sure the CPU AI has a few different configurations of speed attributes and maybe aggression, and I seem to get the worst, speediest bunches when I need them least.  I'll crack it eventually.  Then I need to do slalom still...

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

7 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Still toiling away at Wave Race.  24 hours+ so far.  I really wanted to at least get one game done by the end of January, but I don't know if I'll make it.  I'm stuck on 800cc World Series Circuit. The closest I've come is 28/31 points. It is ridiculously hard to be consistent on most of those tracks. Pretty sure the CPU AI has a few different configurations of speed attributes and maybe aggression, and I seem to get the worst, speediest bunches when I need them least.  I'll crack it eventually.  Then I need to do slalom still...

Sadly, I don't have any tips because I've never played Wave Race, but kudos for how hard you're going at it and how close you're getting. You'll get it soon! I'm rootin' for ya! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Sadly, I don't have any tips because I've never played Wave Race, but kudos for how hard you're going at it and how close you're getting. You'll get it soon! I'm rootin' for ya! 

Thank you very much. I'm happy to report that tonight I was able to defeat circuit mode. 29h28m so far before diving deeper into slalom mode.  This game is an absolutely unforgiving beast. It took a ton of luck, but I managed 5 first place finishes out of the 8 tracks. Rio sucks so got 4th there and needed to get at least 3rd on the last track to qualify and managed to squeak past a couple on the last turn to grab 2nd and a total of 32 points out of 31 needed for credits. I'll post screenshots when I beat slalom, which I sincerely hope will be much easier.

• Wow! 1

Get ready for a screen deluge because Wave Race is done! I finally get to contribute something to the thread!  What does that put us at for the year? We have to be pretty close to 50 now, right?

NbLoXpT.jpg

The game gives you the same winning screen for both modes, but there are some other things I can show to prove I did it (also have it recorded so it will eventually reach YouTube).

Y7tmzt3.jpg

800cc World Series Circuit mode requires 31 points to earn the championship.

8hIebuw.jpg

That gets you credits showing a "perfect" run of one lap of the last course

C50HoBG.jpg

Slalom 800cc World Series requires 45 points/gates

ueJr6CP.jpg

And gives you different credits because it shows someone flying through with pinpoint precision to get basically every gate on the last course.

Circuit took me about 20+hours just to beat the 800cc mode. It demanded a lot of actual skill in learning the tracks of course, but also an incredible amount of luck in terms of opponent speed and getting the right power-ups at the right times. My main takeaways from this mode:

1) Learn where the power-ups can possibly be. The first one is always in the same spot. Then from there they will spawn in a couple different locations. If you think you need it, then take those wider turns to anticipate it being there. If you don't need it, save it for the last lap because...

2) The guy you have to beat will always be in front of you and will always get a 1/4 lap lead at minimum around the time the 2nd lap starts. No sense wasting useful powerups if you know they won't help you catch him. The leader will rubber band, so even if you manage to somehow pass them on lap 3 (only possible on a couple tracks, I think), they will zoom ahead again. Plan to make your moves on the final stretches, because they will always have more boost than you. You have to catch them by surprise.

3) Learn to boost efficiently. Try not to run out until the very end otherwise you may slow down. I tried to keep my boost about half full most of the time - enough to not fill the gauge and waste possible progress, but enough to allow for corrections on bad turns or getting bumped into obstacles by the highly aggressive AI.

4) Aside from simply learning the tracks, also learn the ramps. Hitting a ramp will give you a boost in speed compared to avoiding them. Some are in quick succession, so knowing when to do a small jump or a long jump will help a ton.

I'm sure there's more so if anyone has questions, let me know, but despite all the time I put into it, I don't know if I ever felt comfortable in that mode.

Slalom mode was a complete joke. I basically beat it in an hour and knocked out 800cc World Series on my first try. I applied NONE of the lessons mentioned above in this mode. It was all about learning the courses a bit, but also realizing that the CPUs are on a set path so you can use that to your advantage to grab gates. Also, sometimes they flat out miss their gates and then just keep going on their path and circle around the entire course to try to get it. It makes for a very forgiving experience.

Next up I'm working Pac-Man, which I know was already tackled for this year's list, but it was on my backlog of viewer poll winners from last year, so I'm honoring that. I played a little today and got to stage 7. I guess the last intermission is after 9? I'm finding that bad cornering from the d-pad is causing most of my deaths. I mean to go one direction but the game doesn't recognize the turn. Ah well.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3

Pokemon Blue is done. I didn't beat Red because I'd like to see @Foochie776 get those points and knock one off his backlog.

This was a Nuzlocke run, my first ever. I've done other fun runs, but not one like this. The rules I used were on the easier side because I didn't know what to expect:

• Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead and must be released.
  • The player may only catch the first wild Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first wild Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. 
  • A black out/white out is considered to be a "game over," even if there are usable Pokémon left in the PC, and the player must start over.
  • Master Balls may not be used.
  • The Day Care may not be used.

This was intermittently challenging with long stretches of being easy. Red, Blue, and Green have balance issues. Brock and Misty, the first and second gym leaders, can be monsters depending on who you choose for your starter. I chose Squirtle, which makes Brock's rock Pokemon easy but doesn't make Misty's water Pokemon any easier. They're hard because there really aren't any Pokemon with super effective moves that you can catch before Brock, and only Bellsprout before Misty. The other balance issue is that there are precious few trainers with Pokemon over level 40, making grinding a bit of a requirement for the second rival battle in front of the indigo plateau and the Elite Four. Their Pokemon tend to be in the 50s and later the 60s. 

Overall, I only lost two Pokemon. Stupidly, I lost the Geodude I caught in Rock Tunnel to an accidental self-destruct and one of my two Snorlaxes ate a crit Psychic from my rival's Alakazam in the aforementioned rival fight before the Elite Four. I forgot about that fight and my rival caught me with a team full of low 40s Pokemon to his 50s. I'm lucky to have only lost one. I also had one close call in Mt. Moon where all six of my Pokemon were in yellow or red thanks to a trainer's Bellsprout that kept immediately paralyzing or putting my Pokemon to sleep and then spamming wrap. I had to keep switching back and forth to my paralyzed Pigeotto to wait for a Wrap miss and a successful attacking turn.

Anyway, on to the screenshots!

U5OklnWm.jpg

heheheheheheheh.

yXeJSYhm.jpgDxGgJsIm.jpgrzx6dzxm.jpg

PtW0sHAm.jpgsyIGHC5m.jpg5dQcUipm.jpg

Gyarados was the carry; it cannot be overstated how broken certain Pokemon are in gen 1 due to how EVs work and the combined special stat. Gyarados is one, and a guy sells you a level 5 Magikarp for $500 right after the first gym. Aside from Snorlax's revenge on my rival's Alakazam, I beat the entire Elite Four and my rival with just Jolteon and Gyarados. 

YTlMQ6qm.jpg

34 hours is longer than I expected it to take, but most of that was me being really careful before Brock, Misty, and the Elite Four. If I play another Pokemon game this year, I'd like to try to get through in closer to 20 hours, which is usually about how long my runs take. I'd also probably level up fewer Pokemon, as I found myself grinding to drag up Raticate and Pigeot's levels to the rest of the team, and impose some more stringent Nuzlocke rules on my next run. 

Fun times!

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 3