IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

6 hours ago, scaryice said:

I beat the Japanese version (Hebereke) a few months ago. Fun game, but missing a little something to make it truly great. Still above average though.

I kinda feel the same way.  It's solid, but not spectacular.  It is cool to see a proto-Metroidvania on the NES though.

River City Ransom and Super Dodge Ball are done (beaten yesterday)!

I'm going to go for some of those bonus Famicom games. Some of them on the list I have but haven't played, and others it's been too long since I've played. I'm also going to try for some shmups, but we'll see if I can beat any of them before someone else gets to them first. 

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

Well, I think I just won a game of Battle Chess for the first time. Even on the lowest difficulty setting, I still needed 5-6 games to beat the computer. Does this game have an ending, or did this just glitch on me? I just checkmated the computer on a move where I simultaneously upgraded one of my pawns into a new queen to finish it. There are no available moves to save the computer player, but the game is just frozen on its "thinking" animation and has been for several minutes.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Well, I think I just won a game of Battle Chess for the first time. Even on the lowest difficulty setting, I still needed 5-6 games to beat the computer. Does this game have an ending, or did this just glitch on me? I just checkmated the computer on a move where I simultaneously upgraded one of my pawns into a new queen to finish it. There are no available moves to save the computer player, but the game is just frozen on its "thinking" animation and has been for several minutes.

Requirement: break the game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

What is the win condition of Devil World?  It seems to be the same two stages (plus a bonus stage) over and over.  It just gets harder (faster with more enemies) each loop.  Looks like the difficultly maxes out at the tenth loop.  I got to the fourth loop, so if one loop is good enough, consider it done.

Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun is done. Pretty fun and easy game outside of some random difficulty spikes here and there. All of the bosses have one attack, but the pharoah can one-hit kill you because of the stun lock/knockback. The space elevator is another irritating bit.

Just looked at when I last time beat this game before today, and it was nearly 7 years ago. Time flies. 

mirqUhim.jpg

Edited by Philosoraptor

Events Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, Red said:

What is the win condition of Devil World?  It seems to be the same two stages (plus a bonus stage) over and over.  It just gets harder (faster with more enemies) each loop.  Looks like the difficultly maxes out at the tenth loop.  I got to the fourth loop, so if one loop is good enough, consider it done.

Last time I had to do 99 levels, iirc.
Also, no Antarctic Adventure, no go for me this year.

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti is done.

13 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Ah, if that's the requirement, I'll leave it to someone else.  I'm just not that into it.

Kyatto Ninden Teyandee is done. Aside from the difficulty spike of the final level, this is another fun, but easy romp. This game is really, really forgiving with health and you can cheese almost every boss with your skills and then finish them off with normal attacks before they kill you. Even spikes aren't one-hit kills. Most generous. 

Also, my thumbs are done with the NES/Famicom for today. Good luck everyone!

8OjGzlhm.jpg

Edited by Philosoraptor

6 hours ago, Red said:

6 hours ago, BeaIank said:

I have it written in my notes that our requirement the last time was to beat round 7, because that was the last new enemy type.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 93/677 (bonus games - 11/100)
3 hours ago, scaryice said:

I have it written in my notes that our requirement the last time was to beat round 7, because that was the last new enemy type.

That sounds much more doable!  I'll give it another shot tonight.

8 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

That was one I was going to pop in at some point. What did you think?

As far as gameplay goes, it's kinda bland.  Most of the game you're only using a basic short range attack and the stages are very straightforward.  It's on the easy side too.  The graphics are...interesting.  It tries to be lighthearted and gruesome at the same time.  If you like the style, it might be worth playing, but it's pretty boring otherwise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Eliminator Boat Duel is beaten.

Pretty cool boat racing game. It’s weird that the ‘easy’ setting is actually the full game, and the hardest since the game only allows 1 loss before game over.

image.jpg

Finally found the temporary (I think) version of the site. Sad to have missed this thread jan 1, but def relieved site isnt gone for good. Wont be able to participate for a while as my daughter was born this morning, but Ill be back in due time. 

As for Eliminator Boat Duel, I respectfully think you are incorrect about the difficulty settings. Love the game and revisit it somewhat frequently. You are right thay easy is the longest mode, but I think it is easiest.

The opponents difficulty levels are the same level to level, I think. But by giving you a few extra cupcake races to win in easy mode, it allows you to upgrade your boat and get ahead of your opponents in that respect. Starting with tougher opponents and no upgrades in hard mode, you are racing against the same quality opponents with a much weaker and slower boat. 

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Finally found the temporary (I think) version of the site. Sad to have missed this thread jan 1, but def relieved site isnt gone for good. Wont be able to participate for a while as my daughter was born this morning, but Ill be back in due time. 

As for Eliminator Boat Duel, I respectfully think you are incorrect about the difficulty settings. Love the game and revisit it somewhat frequently. You are right thay easy is the longest mode, but I think it is easiest.

The opponents difficulty levels are the same level to level, I think. But by giving you a few extra cupcake races to win in easy mode, it allows you to upgrade your boat and get ahead of your opponents in that respect. Starting with tougher opponents and no upgrades in hard mode, you are racing against the same quality opponents with a much weaker and slower boat. 

Figured this was the case, glad to see ya back!

Also, congrats!

• Thanks 1

Golf is done. I managed a +21. Things got a LOT easier after the third hole when I looked in the manual for the club distances. I also learned later that when you're close to the green, just putt. Hitting a short SW or PW is a fool's errand. I ended up with an 11 on the final hole because for whatever reason, my brain wasn't learning when the first four tee shots went OB.  I'll update some of my posts with screenshots. I took the RCR and Super Dodgeball ending screens on the Retron 5 (so it's just a screenshot), but the others I have proper pictures of.

O6L0Twzm.jpg

Edited by Philosoraptor

Editorials Team · Posted

Tengen Tetris-- I beat the computer to 30 lines on level 9 and then topped the high score table, anything else required? I can't find anything about an end to the vs-com mode. When I went to enter my initials after playing 1-player, my vs-com scores were also entered, and cycling through the letters changed all 3 lines at the same time.

ZvQI6i5.png