IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

How often do you have to do the mini games in the Sesame Streets games? I was playing 123 and with the first game I was going through all the modes and during the first few modes it would end after you beat it a few times. However, in later modes I've been matching shapes and colours for like 20 minutes now or so and it just won't stop. So what exactly do you have to do and how often?

Ghost N Goblins

Saw 1 maybe 2 "New Things" occur this run.  The def. was on level 6.  The dragon was more bunched up than usual.  During the fight at a point when it had 2 or 3 segments left in addition to the head, it released a segment as I was jumping over it.  The segment immediately rose straight up to hit and kill Arthur.  There are so many weird adjustments / adaptations the program makes in this game depending on how well or how poorly the player is doing it is just off the charts.  I've never played anything else like it.  Whoever programmed this game had to be one interesting s.o.b.

Edited by PII

8 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

What is the victory condition for Excitebike? I've beaten all the tracks on Selection A, but not Selection B. Do you have to beat all the tracks on both or just one or the other? 

When I finished it last year, I played both and finished Track 5 twice since it just loops after that. I'm guessing one loop on Selection A is fine though.

37 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

When I finished it last year, I played both and finished Track 5 twice since it just loops after that. I'm guessing one loop on Selection A is fine though.

I was thinking, we should probably just require Selection B only. Since the first mode is something akin to a practice mode.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 146/677 (bonus games - 21/100)
53 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That makes sense. I always play on Selection B for that same reason. 

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

I was thinking, we should probably just require Selection B only. Since the first mode is something akin to a practice mode.

Bleh, back to the grind, then! Thanks y'all!

6 hours ago, PII said:

Ghost N Goblins

Saw 1 maybe 2 "New Things" occur this run.  The def. was on level 6.  The dragon was more bunched up than usual.  During the fight at a point when it had 2 or 3 segments left in addition to the head, it released a segment as I was jumping over it.  The segment immediately rose straight up to hit and kill Arthur.  There are so many weird adjustments / adaptations the program makes in this game depending on how well or how poorly the player is doing it is just off the charts.  I've never played anything else like it.  Whoever programmed this game had to be one interesting s.o.b.

Ghost N Goblins.png

The game was developed by Micronics so I wonder how much of this quirkiness you mention is intentional or just sloppy programming.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Pinball Quest is done! Really fun game, honestly. I'm going to go back and play some more.

Did you clear Excitebike? I cleared Selection B last night, but I didn't see your post until this morning so I don't want to take it from you if you want to do it.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

The game was developed by Micronics so I wonder how much of this quirkiness you mention is intentional or just sloppy programming.

I'm well aware the game has its glitches, and the segment thing may very well have been another less than common glitch like when Arthur takes a hit do to moving quicker than the screen can scroll for another example. 

What I was trying to get at though, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with bad programming is that in other similar genre games I've played, the enemy patterns are much, much more limited in scope.  They can be figured out quickly and once you know 'em, they will not vary much or at all.  In GnG there is just such a penchant for the program to throw an un-defendable monkey wrench into the player during a good run or similarly, when a very bad situation is being managed in spite of the difficulty.  Maybe its just me impressing my subjective slant, but every time I play this game it feels to me like the program is adapting considerably to how I play...

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you clear Excitebike? I cleared Selection B last night, but I didn't see your post until this morning so I don't want to take it from you if you want to do it.

Nope. I only got as far as the fourth track and wasn't planning on picking it back up today; I'm playing something else. I'm honestly relieved you beat it. I was starting to not have fun with it.