IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Graphics Team · Posted

Can anyone confirm what the good ending is for Parasol Stars?

I unlocked world 9 by getting 3 "star miracle" icons in world 8, and I beat both bosses in world 10. After that, there was a star-wand item to grab, an alien-thing that briefly appeared, and a cutscene of some in-game characters strolling across the screen. But there were no credits or congratulations screens, and after I entered the initials for the high-score board, it said "Game Over". Did I miss something??? I've been struggling with this game all week and I just want some closure haha.

-CasualCart

Graphics Team · Posted

Update: according to this website, I got the good ending after all (http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/c/parasol.htm).
I guess the "game over" screen shows up no matter what...

So Parasol Stars is finished!

(I only got a picture of the title screen because I was waiting for the credits that apparently don't exist.)

-CasualCart

331939866_CasualCartParasolStars.jpg.87c331d2d5662b816f395f05ebd37080.jpg

Bart Vs The World       -       Didn't bother to get all the Krusty treasures.  Did it sort of speed-run-ish.  This game can be beaten very quickly this way + not doing the mini games.  Levels 1 & 3 can be done zippity-splat and level 2 isn't much different.  Only Level 4 takes significant time...

Edited by PII

1 hour ago, PII said:

GALAXY 5000

Galaxy 5000.png

Nice one. This game is brutal.

I was working on it a couple months ago and had to shelf it. Thought it was way too frustrating and the control scheme felt totally wack.

Any tips or strategies? Did you use the alpha or beta controls? I was using the beta. Could not get the hang of the alpha. Also did you clear Planet X too?

3 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Nice one. This game is brutal.

I was working on it a couple months ago and had to shelf it. Thought it was way too frustrating and the control scheme felt totally wack.

Any tips or strategies? Did you use the alpha or beta controls? I was using the beta. Could not get the hang of the alpha. Also did you clear Planet X too?

Yep, cleared Planet X.  Hadn't played it in a while so it took me 2 tries.  I actually ran out of time on Jupiter 3 last night after falling off the track a single time - really surprised me.  Had a couple of close calls with it tonight including having to rebuy the final ship.  It's definitely the kind of game that requires one to put in the time to get to know it well as far as what you're going to encounter on each track and getting real comfortable with the controls.  Expect to hit a wall when you first make it as far as Jupiter.  Saturn and Uranus are actually easier and then Neptune / Pluto will really put you to the test.

You're def. on the right track with beta controls.  If I ever feel that I've gotten too good at this game to enjoy it anymore, I'll switch over to Alpha Controls.  If you don't have the 3rd ship by the time you arrive at Jupiter 2 you may as well hit reset because you won't be able to make the turns properly and you'll always run out of time.  It mostly  comes down to comfort / familiarity with maneuvering all the difficult parts.  + pickups, blasting and eliminations for $$ so that you can keep upgrading your ship.  Do it w/o continuing and Planet X is a single race counter clock-wise with some choice opportunities to misalign your jumping for a drop into space.  Takes some repeat effort but well worth it in my opinion.  One of the very best underrated NES games. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PII said:

Yep, cleared Planet X.  Hadn't played it in a while so it took me 2 tries.  I actually ran out of time on Jupiter 3 last night after falling off the track a single time - really surprised me.  Had a couple of close calls with it tonight including having to rebuy the final ship.  It's definitely the kind of game that requires one to put in the time to get to know it well as far as what you're going to encounter on each track and getting real comfortable with the controls.  Expect to hit a wall when you first make it as far as Jupiter.  Saturn and Uranus are actually easier and then Neptune / Pluto will really put you to the test.

You're def. on the right track with beta controls.  If I ever feel that I've gotten too good at this game to enjoy it anymore, I'll switch over to Alpha Controls.  If you don't have the 3rd ship by the time you arrive at Jupiter 2 you may as well hit reset because you won't be able to make the turns properly and you'll always run out of time.  It mostly  comes down to comfort / familiarity with maneuvering all the difficult parts.  + pickups, blasting and eliminations for $$ so that you can keep upgrading your ship.  Do it w/o continuing and Planet X is a single race counter clock-wise with some choice opportunities to misalign your jumping for a drop into space.  Takes some repeat effort but well worth it in my opinion.  One of the very best underrated NES games. 

Appreciate the info. I’ll have to revisit it at some point. It is definitely a game that I want to like….I just got too frustrated with it between having to contend with odd turning angles, trying to keep the ship from constantly falling off the track, and the many stage hazards/enemy fire. All of it combined felt like a bit much for a racing game. 

Mars was the furthest I got, but I did put in the code in order to try the later planets. My god were Neptune & Pluto downright brutal! Think I maybe cleared race 1 of each once or twice each, out of 40+ attempts.

I’ll give it another go at some point down the road. I’m sure the game just requires a lot more time & practice than the 4-6 hours I put in. I can say this with confidence — this games difficulty is criminally underrated!!

Edited by Strikezone1

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

Appreciate the info. I’ll have to revisit it at some point. It is definitely a game that I want to like….I just got too frustrated with it between having to contend with odd turning angles, trying to keep the ship from constantly falling off the track, and the many stage hazards/enemy fire. All of it combined felt like a bit much for a racing game. 

My pleazsh.  Yeah, not falling off is a little harder than it looks, very easy to slip through a gap or slide off the edge.  I know that there are some folks out there who are not really even into racing games who really like this one.  At a glance it looks like R.C. Pro-Am in Space, which it is, but in a way it's kind of not a racing game first.  Usually a fine sense of speed is a major component of a good racer; not the case here.  It's more like an ongoing moving battle with lots of obstacles and shooting, in which finishing ahead of the other racers is just one component rather than THE component.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 124/677 (bonus games - 16/100)

I wanted to look back at 2021 and all of my first time NES clears, in one post. Some of this is just reposting stuff from last year, but whatever. I beat 16 NES games for the first time in 2021:

• Adventure Island III - I can't remember if I actually beat this one before. I don't think so, but I did play it years ago, so I was already familiar with it. This is probably my favorite game in the series. It's almost exactly the same as 2, but with some fun new additions. And like 2, it's mostly easy with some tough levels near the end.
  • Air Fortress - Some decent parts and some annoyances, but overall I wasn't a big fan. At least the end of the second loop was much easier than the end of the first. Even using maps it was still rough - had to clear out the escape route completely for stage 8 to be able to make it in time after several failures. I found beating this to be more annoying than something like Time Lord.
  • Conan: The Mysteries of Time - I actually made it to the final level without looking anything up. After game overing, I made it back and just decided to consult a video at that point. I vaguely remembered something about placing things in the right order, so I knew that would be a nightmare blind. This is one of those games that seems easy to beat again once you've done it once, so I get why it's usually been worth a small amount of points. Oh yeah, the gameplay is terrible (but you probably knew that already).
  • Kung Fu Heroes - It's fun, but a bit too unforgiving to be something you can play casually. You have to know what each item does, which you absolutely won't without reading about it. Add that to the system of items in random blocks and sometimes just in a random spot, and that's a recipe for a rough time playing blind. Plus unfortunately, there's no reason to play through the whole thing rather than warping, since you can't get more than 9 lives. It would probably be a lot more enjoyable with two players. Beating this game was memorable, as I barely make it to the last stage's goal, jumping over enemies instinctively while on my last life, as one does in this game.
  • Laser Invasion - I don't care for these types of flying games, but it was more fun than I expected. That's 8 bit Konami for you! Even their lesser titles are usually better than average, and this one was no exception. Took maybe 3 hours with a guide?
  • Lethal Weapon - Only took a few attempts to beat. Simple, not too interesting beat-em-up. Meh.
  • Little Samson - It was a little harder than expected near the end; enjoyable but with some annoyances. It's nowhere close to a Mega Man game, of course, but stll a good game nonetheless.
  • Ninja Kid - The key to this game is getting the hidden extra lives in each stage, so be sure to look that up if you play it. This was decent for the time it was released, I suppose. Probably a bit better than its reputation in the west.
  • Peter Pan & the Pirates - It's an easy, terrible game. I'd rather play Conan.
  • Power Punch II - It's not good, but based on what I've played of Ring King and George Foreman, it's better than those two. I was able to beat most of the guys without any help, at least until I got to the second tank guy. I highly recommend a guide for him and a few other later opponents. The best overall tip is simply to nail the training sessions. Abuse the pause button to make sure you get every one, because those increase your stats. If you start the game failing or skipping the training, you'll have no chance.
  • Rally Bike - I felt like it took more effort to beat this than any other NES game I've played, with the exception of Ikari Warriors. For example, I had to write out a plan for exactly when to get gas in each stage. There's a lot of frustration with the lack of checkpoints, tight squeezes, and unfair deaths (like when you just finish refueling and another car comes up from behind). Still, it wasn't as hard as Ikari, and I think I could beat it again much more easily compared to that one.
  • Section Z - I enjoyed my time with it. Lots of trial and error, so you need to write all the paths down. Still lacks a bit of that usual Capcom polish though. So maybe not a must play, but a good game to discover when you're diving deep into the NES catalog. I do prefer it to Air Fortress at least. Kind of interested in playing a similar "exploration shooter" like Super Star Force now. I think Super Xevious and Galg are similar in some ways also.
  • Time Lord - It's short, but with no continues, so it's certainly not easy. My first try on the final boss, I beat it on the last hit of my last life, which felt amazing. Overall, it only took maybe 3-4 hours? I had played it a bit a few years ago, and of course I watched some speedruns to help. But not that rough for a game that's gone unbeaten four times in the past. Of course, the game itself is not great (but the soundtrack is quite nice).
  • Trojan - The Gamefaqs guides are good for the game, so it was easy to clear. Although, after game over-ing once on the final boss, I checked a speedrun, and the "jump straight up and down" strategy works way better.
  • Wayne Gretzky Hockey - It actually did seem ok now that I've played an entire game of it. Still an incredibly ugly game, though. Similar to Nintendo World Cup, you can just park yourself in a spot and the computer won't chase you, so it's just a matter of letting the timer slowly run down.
  • Zanac - Maybe not quite as good as its reputation, but still one of the best shooters on the system. Sure, there's a bunch of weapons, but one is clearly better than the rest so it doesn't feel like there's as much variety as it initially seems.

I also beat Goonies and Hebereke (Ufouria) on the Famicom, both good games. Since I put it on the bonus list, I've been meaning to say that if anyone plays Goonies this year, make sure you know beforehand that you need to rescue a kid in each stage. If you don't, the game will just loop and not let you play the final stage - yes, I learned that the hard way.

Rough ranking of these games:

Spoiler

Adventure Island III
Little Samson
Zanac
Hebereke
Goonies
Section Z
Laser Invasion
Trojan
Kung Fu Heroes
Ninja Kid
Air Fortress
Time Lord
Rally Bike
Lethal Weapon
Power Punch II
Conan
Wayne Gretzky Hockey
Peter Pan & the Pirates

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 3

On 1/6/2022 at 1:43 PM, CasualCart said:

I'll never get tired of seeing that vintage TV set in your posts. So cool.

-CasualCart

🙂 And here I've been obscuring those big beautiful knobs with my name plate this year...

I passed along your compliment and told her what a talented Visual Artist you are and she requested that I take some glamor shots for your consideration.  She thought you might like to do a sketch / paint / a portrait etc. sometime...

Edited by PII