IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 516/677 (bonus games - 72/100)

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 514/677 (bonus games - 72/100)

Played through the first chapter of Dragon Warrior IV tonight. I broadly enjoyed it quite a bit, aside from not being able to control my Healer sidekick. But it was still pretty funny that I was joined by a benevolent member of the Healer jellyfish monsters, especially when his appearance scared NPCs in the towns.

• Like 1

Finished Chapter 2 and started 3 last night. I didn't see myself playing shopkeeper, but my newest character is going to adventure around the world to become the greatest arms merchant? Dragon Warrior IV is stranger than I imagined, but it's been fun so far. 

What is everyone else playing? 

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

DQ4 is fun, but I can't help but prefer 2 & 3 because of the more open structure.

I actually started up another NES rpg a few days ago, Juvei Quest from Namco. My first impression was that it was very generic graphic and sound-wise, especially for a 1991 release. Even the game's logo looks like Dragon Quest's. However, there's been more and more unique elements as I've gotten further, so my opinion is becoming more positive.

Edited by scaryice

5 hours ago, scaryice said:

DQ4 is fun, but I can't help but prefer 2 & 3 because of the more open structure.

I actually started up another NES rpg a few days ago, Juvei Quest from Namco. My first impression was that it was very generic graphic and sound-wise, especially for a 1991 release. Even the game's logo looks like Dragon Quest's. However, there's been more and more unique elements as I've gotten further, so my opinion is becoming more positive.

I played through it last year, and it definitely does start pretty generic.  It comes into it's own after the first few chapters though.  Great game overall, just a bit slow to get started.

OK, Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf is done --

NES_Jack_Nicklaus_2022.jpg.7a26e72a47d4017730e0b6560b1093fd.jpg

-- if you want to call a score like that "done". I didn't read the manual so I had no idea how to keep every shot from hooking severely, but I just played around that and had 3-4 passable holes and a whole bunch of absurdity.

Dull, slow game, but I played during a long phone call so it all worked out.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 516/677 (bonus games - 72/100)
Member · Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm into Chapter 5 now and I've just united all eight star characters for the first time. I'm having a good time, but I'm not sold on only being able to control the Hero during combat. I have a lot of grinding to do before I can fight Balzack.

I think that's why most people prefer DQ3. Also, how that one is way more replayable with class customization.

I'm still playing Juvei Quest. Last night, I finally made some progress after being stuck for a while. There's this very Startropics-esque music puzzle you need to solve. Now, I have a distinct lack of musical knowledge or talent (although I'm quite good at Project Diva, somehow). I remember only getting the Startopics puzzle as a little kid after seeing it in Nintendo Power. Or, maybe I didn't even try to solve it, I dunno, I don't remember. Anyway, you get the following sequence of notes and you're expected to finish it:

do-re-mi, do-re-mi
so-mi-re-do...

The npc then says that he doesn't remember the rest. After not getting anywhere and feeling like I'm missing something, I remembered the character said that it was called the "Tulip Song". There's nothing in the game about tulips, unless it was in the manual or something. With a simple melody like that, it maybe sounded like a nursery rhyme? My first thought as a huge Famicom nerd was then to check Karaoke Studio and see if it was one on the songs included there. That game, of course, is the Japanese-only peripheral that came with an attached microphone. It had a lot of kids songs, including the first song on the list, Ichinensei ni Nattara. Why do I bring that up? Because several times in my weeb career of playing Japanese games and watching anime, I've seen references to "making 100 friends". It turns out that those references come from that song, so I had a bit of a light bulb moment when I realized that. Would this be a similar situation? Unfortunately, I didn't see any tulip-related songs in Karaoke Studio.

Back to to Juvei Quest. Before giving up and checking a guide, I decided to just google 'tulip song japan' and yeah, of course it was a Japanese kids song. The kind of thing you would easily know if you grew up there. No wonder I was stuck, since I can't be expected to have that knowledge. Although, the actual solution was simple and maybe I could've stumbled upon it by accident...

Regardless, it's back to business in the game. Here's the song in question:

Spoiler

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

Member · Posted
13 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm into Chapter 5 now and I've just united all eight star characters for the first time. I'm having a good time, but I'm not sold on only being able to control the Hero during combat. I have a lot of grinding to do before I can fight Balzack.

Yup, this is exactly why DW3 is my favorite and not DW4. The characters are really interesting and unique in DW4 and the ability to swap them in/out is amazing, but the fact that your tactical decisions are limited to choosing a party, choosing a "tactic" type, and controlling the hero really does it in for me.

It's still a really fun game, but doesn't hold a candle to DW3 for me.