IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Beat Adventure in the Magic Kingdom

Kinda surprised this was still on the list, since it's super easy. It's also not much fun, either, so maybe that's why.

I was definitely let down by this game back in the day, considering it's one of the Capcom/Disney games which are usually awesome.

IMG_20220510_194944.jpg

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 509/677 (bonus games - 67/100)
  • 2 weeks later...

Got in the mood to play some Infiltrator tonight so I played through the 1st Mission.  My Chopper skills were a little rough and I had to crash several times trying to get to the enemy base before I finally had a successful flight.  Fortunately the flight back to home base was much kinder.  I only ran into other Infiltrators.  I will most likely play through the 2nd and 3rd Missions in the near future...

• Like 1

Beat megaman 4 minus infinity. My God is this game good. Like, top 5 NES games of all time good. Depending on your settings it might be brutally difficult or laughably easy, but the design, graphics, sound, game play elements... it's so creative, so interesting, an amazing homage to the original games. Holy shit. 

Megaman4MinusInfinity.jpg

6 hours ago, Khromak said:

Beat megaman 4 minus infinity. My God is this game good. Like, top 5 NES games of all time good. Depending on your settings it might be brutally difficult or laughably easy, but the design, graphics, sound, game play elements... it's so creative, so interesting, an amazing homage to the original games. Holy shit. 

Well, damn! That's what I get for leaving it on the board this long. I need to give it a go someday soon. 

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Well, damn! That's what I get for leaving it on the board this long. I need to give it a go someday soon. 

Yeah...I had heard it was good, but figured it was just like "oh this is a nice hack, some original concepts" good. It was like...a professionally developed game. I'm not kidding when I say if this was one of the original 6 (7) Megaman games on NES, it would be #1. By far. The music doesn't really top #2, what could, but the gameplay is miles above the others. The level design is unbelievably strong, it introduces like...5 or more new gameplay mechanics. There's an open-world section at the end, there are lots of secrets. It's really incredible. An absolute must play for anyone who enjoys Megaman.

I will say it's probably hard to figure out the right settings for difficulty. You can adjust HP, lives, damage taken, damage dealt, item drop rates, and maybe other factors as well. I think I could've played it with a few of these settings a little harder because the end is a bit of a "here's 9 etanks and 9 lives constantly" which made it kind of a joke, but adjusting that stuff might have made the beginning too tough for me to finish.

Either way, definitely a lot of replayability there.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 509/677 (bonus games - 68/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 510/677 (bonus games - 69/100)

For Greg Norman's Golf Power, we just have to play 18 holes of golf, regardless of the outcome, difficulty, or presence/absence of a CPU opponent -- correct?

If so, that one's done, as I played a solo round on the US course on Amateur difficulty, and scored an impressively bad +24. I did get a few birdies along the way and almost got an eagle on my first hole, but there were a bunch of "disasters" along the way too (to use the game's term).

It's a painfully slow and ridiculously "British programming of the 8-bit era" game, but at least it's playable. Hard to get much satisfaction from a playthrough without facing a CPU opponent, though I think they're apt to be tough.

The Smurfs is done.

It wasn't a lot of fun to play the original PAL version on an NTSC console, with the major graphics glitches on the bridge stage or the final boss fight with Gargamel. It was still manageable, though.

The final fight with Gargamel is tough and annoying, despite not being that complicated. He advances towards you from the right side of the screen, and if he reaches you death is instant. You have to catapult acorns into him that are dropped by a bird, but the bird's movements are just random enough (the number of seconds between passes, whether the bird will actually drop the acorn close enough to your catapult) that it's not a given that you can hit Gargamel fast enough to keep him off of you. I seemingly had a couple of attempts where I made no mistakes and still died.

This is a fairly solid late platformer, but it feels like it needed a little bit more polish before being published.

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

For Greg Norman's Golf Power, we just have to play 18 holes of golf, regardless of the outcome, difficulty, or presence/absence of a CPU opponent -- correct?

Yes. Jack Nicklaus has the same requirement, if you want to do that one as well...

I appreciate the crazy music in Greg Norman, at least.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 511/677 (bonus games - 71/100)

I picked up Open Tournament Golf today and was thinking I might play it on PC-10 for a change, and to add to my collection of end screens for PC-10. So I pulled out the board, noticed there wasn't a save battery and thought maybe it just retained the scores while the game is powered on? Swap it in, fire it up and nope, all of the settings and customization were taken out, it's just tournament play and nothing else.

Shame, but I'll still be making my way through it on NES again, slowly but surely.

I don't think anyone has said they were playing DW4 yet this year, but I haven't watched the thread extremely closely this year.

3 hours ago, McBryce said:

Quick question for you guys, do you count 1 loop of Low G Man as finishing it, or 3?

Pretty sure most Taxan games is one loop.  Mystery Quest IIRC was an exception due to not really giving an ending until after three loops.  I know 8 Eyes and GI Joe are single loop runs, so I don't see any reason Low G Man would be different.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Pretty sure most Taxan games is one loop.  Mystery Quest IIRC was an exception due to not really giving an ending until after three loops.  I know 8 Eyes and GI Joe are single loop runs, so I don't see any reason Low G Man would be different.

It gives you an ending after one, but it only gives you credits after three, that’s my hang up.

1 minute ago, McBryce said:

It gives you an ending after one, but it only gives you credits after three, that’s my hang up.

Traditionally we only require all loops if that's what it takes to get an ending, like with Arkista's Ring.  For Low G Man I'm pretty sure it's only one loop (though you're welcome to go through all three if you'd like).  @scaryice should be able to confirm/refute that, but I'd say a single loop is all that matters.

We do require all four loops of Arkista's Ring, maybe in part because the game does actually stop definitively after beating the fourth loop of that. The Taxan games are goofy; KickMaster and Magician are acceptable to clear one loop of, because you get the full ending after each loop. Mystery Quest apparently doesn't until you clear it all three times or whatever it is (I've never had the patience to try it...)

Wall Street Kid completed!

I feel that with this game, at least after the last month, you have to be perfect to win.  I had to make the right investment, on the last day and use the profits to pay off my final debt.  It was a real mail bitter!

7461044E-F16E-4CDA-803F-05D1E70FDAD7.jpeg

• Like 2

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy is completed!  (100 stars version)

I usually don't contribute to this thread, but I just beat an NES game I haven't played before, so I figured why not?

Did this one the hard way.  No emulation, no walkthroughs, no help of any kind.

Very fun mixture of platforming and puzzles more suited to point and click adventures.  A few infuriating issues keep it from being great, such as no save battery or password system, plus some overly wild RNG.  Still well worth a playthrough!

20220602_230307~2.jpg

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 4