IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 499/677 (bonus games - 63/100)
13 hours ago, scaryice said:

Gauntlet II once again "beaten". As usual, it was slow and easy. Actually, even slower since I missed the speed power up. I played a few extra stages to max the score as one does.

One of these days I'm going to play through it to see if there actually IS an ending.  AdamL used cheats to determine that it infinitely loops, but there's every possibility that the game ends at some point, whether it's the level counter stopping or an actual ending.  The SMS version of Gauntlet (which appears to be similar to Gauntlet II on the NES) suggests 512 levels on the back of the box, so it's quite possible that there's an actual ending.  And if I have to play into the thousands, I'm game for that, just to actually say that I did it 😛

Bucky O'Hare is done.

It's a first-time completion for me. Really creative and solid game, with all the polish you'd expect from a late Konami release. Multiple player characters with different abilities, great music and graphics, and of course brutal difficulty. It was pretty nice of them to let you continue from checkpoints, but there were definitely some long sessions just trying to finish a level and get a new password for next time.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

On 4/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

One of these days I'm going to play through it to see if there actually IS an ending.  AdamL used cheats to determine that it infinitely loops, but there's every possibility that the game ends at some point, whether it's the level counter stopping or an actual ending.  The SMS version of Gauntlet (which appears to be similar to Gauntlet II on the NES) suggests 512 levels on the back of the box, so it's quite possible that there's an actual ending.  And if I have to play into the thousands, I'm game for that, just to actually say that I did it 😛

I actually made a video to show that it loops years ago:

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 500/677 (bonus games - 63/100)

So, we hit the 500 game milestone the other day with Bucky O'Hare. Pace has picked up a little thanks to nerdy's efforts. Still, this is about the spot where things usually start to slow down.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
50 2-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan
100 4-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan
150 9-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 2-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 5-Jan 5-Jan 2-Jan 8-Jan
200 16-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan 8-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan
250 29-Jan 7-Jan 6-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 4-Jan 6-Jan 22-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 15-Jan
300 6-Feb 14-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 8-Jan 10-Jan 9-Jan 14-Feb 17-Jan 8-Jan 22-Jan
350 17-Mar 25-Jan 17-Jan 10-Jan 12-Jan 16-Jan 15-Jan 19-Mar 22-Jan 11-Jan 27-Jan
400 26-Apr 17-Feb 26-Jan 16-Jan 19-Jan 27-Jan 30-Jan 14-Apr 30-Jan 15-Jan 8-Feb
450 7-Jun 2-May 16-Feb 21-Jan 31-Jan 7-Feb 10-Mar 19-May 14-Feb 19-Jan 5-Mar
500 22-Jul 10-Jul 9-Mar 31-Jan 21-Feb 10-Apr 11-Jul 20-Jul 1-Mar 29-Jan 15-Apr
550 16-Aug 8-Nov 7-Jun 10-Feb 21-Apr 2-Sep 13-Nov 21-Oct 31-Mar 7-Feb  
600 14-Oct xxx 13-Sep 24-Feb 29-May xxx xxx xxx 21-Apr 13-Mar  
650 30-Nov xxx xxx 8-Apr 26-Aug xxx xxx xxx 20-Jun 25-Oct  
677 31-Dec xxx xxx 12-Jun 13-Dec xxx xxx xxx 25-Dec xxx  

Total 677 562 638 677 677 589 582 587 677 665  

There's 177 games left. Looking at all 11 years, only 4 games have been in the final 177 in each of those years:

Spoiler

Destination Earth Star
F-117A Stealth Fighter
Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum
Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball

Another 13 games have been in the final 177 in 10/11 years. Meanwhile, a total of 241 games have never been among the final 177.

• Like 1

I suppose it's time for a bit of an update since I haven't really given much.  Basically, I haven't been gaming as hard as I had been previously, as I have a ton of stuff to do that doesn't involve gaming.  As such, I've only finished 14 games of Bases Loaded to this point.  However, I've made a LOT of progress on Conflict.  Like, stupid amounts of progress.  Been playing on the highest difficulty as already mentioned, and I've now knocked off 13 stages.  Only two more to get the final password for the last level.  Some maps are pretty easy - just take out a few planes and knock off the HQ tank as quickly as possible...however, some (like the 13th map) took a LOT of effort, due to the layout of the map.  I basically had to advance my tanks in order to draw out their planes, but with no anti-aircraft or planes of my own, I had to basically get lucky dodging bombs with the big tank while the smaller ones took out enough ground forces and cities to get a bomber or two.  It seems that parking on a city gives you better defence against aircraft, as I had much better luck dodging bombs in a city than in open ground, but that could just be my perception rather than anything in the game itself.  But yeah, that one should be knocked off soon.  Also, my next completion will be #250 for my personal list, so if Conflict on level 3 is that game, I'm definitely okay with that 🙂

Conflict is now done, and is now officially my 250th personal completion.  All that work for such a lame ending though...ugh.  The credit reel was better than the actual ending screen 😛  On the plus side, the game itself isn't terrible, but on the down side, it's a VERY tough game on the high settings...you have very little margin for error.  Thankfully, if you turtle and let the enemy come to you, you'll wear them down relatively quickly (as long as the randomized attacks go your way).  That said, there's better strategy games on the NES, so I'll likely never come back to it, but I'm happy to have played through it!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 501/677 (bonus games - 63/100)

I’ve been working on Prince of Persia. I’ve gotten about 4-5 hours in. Only made it to level 3. Christ is this game frustrating beyond belief! 

The game is a neat concept, but the control scheme is very poor. The hit detection is highly suspect in the sword fights.

Full disclosure- there’s a slim chance that I have the patience to stick with and beat it before giving up.

Bless the heart of anyone who has actually beaten this game legitimately!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 501/677 (bonus games - 64/100)

Well, I persevered through the bs and actually pulled it off. Prince of Persia is beaten.

Holy Mother of Mary, to say this game is a chore to get through is a severe understatement. Stiff as a board controls, wonky hit detection in the sword fights, completely obnoxious platform jumping (especially at the end levels). Thank god for the password system otherwise this game would be literally impossible. Oh and the cherry on top is the fact that it’s hard to distinguish between the 6s & 8s for the password system. Smh 

Out of all the NES games I’ve beaten, I confidently put this one in the top 5 most frustrating. Woof.

image.jpg

• Like 6

I beat Dragon Warrior II a few days ago, and just now remembered about this thread. So no screenshot because I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

This was my first time playing it, and was kind of surprised I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. I feel like they got a bit too ambitious with the size of the world to the point where exploring is much more annoying than it is interesting.

Also, this group of "heroes" honestly had no business trying to save the world. Your party is pathetically weak throughout the entire game, can barely hold any items with equipment and special items (keys and whatnot) taking up 90% of your inventory space, and only the main guy gets any useful weapons or armor. Only the Prince gets a Revive spell, it's not learned until late in the game, and (at least for me) this guy is the one that usually ended up dead first anyway. Although, once I spent some hours grinding near the end of the game, the final castle and bosses became super easy.

Anyway, at this point this is probably the only game I can realistically contribute to this thread, so there you go. You're welcome 👍

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 503/677 (bonus games - 64/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 505/677 (bonus games - 64/100)

I decided to reward myself for cracking 800 points by playing an RPG, and then my participation plummeted in the 790s. I've been spending most of my meager gaming time chipping away at Puzznic. I have about 25 stages left, and then I still need to play Gravnic. When this is done, I'll start Dragon Warrior IV unless someone is already on it. 

I've mostly been playing stuff for my personal list at this point (Final Fantasy and Tecmo Basketball), though I'm still chipping (slowly) at Bases Loaded, and have also made decent progress on Krusty's Fun House.  Wish I had more to report on this front, but I needed to play something for myself with the limited time I have available. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 506/677 (bonus games - 64/100)

Commando is done. I have now surpassed 800 points for the third time.

This is another first-time completion for me. I grew up with a copy of Commando, but never played a ton of it. It's a mediocre game, especially in comparison to other similar NES titles like Guerrilla War (which I also grew up with). The difficulty wasn't outrageous, especially with multiple checkpoints per stage and infinite continues.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen/unlicensed version) is done.

I played through it on "Easy" difficulty and the "Mini" mazes. Still, it was my first time seeing "Act 4: The End" on this game. This really feels like a better version of the game than the licensed Namco one. I like all the options, especially the Pac-Booster speed increase.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 507/677 (bonus games - 65/100)

Battle kid 2 is done. I've beaten it once or twice before, but I'm not sure if I've ever gotten all the shards and the double damage thing, which are optional. Very exceptional and very difficult game. I think this time I had about 1350 deaths. I'm not very patient or careful, especially with such frequent checkpoints. I could probably get that number down but I enjoy some of the trial and error

BattleKid2.jpg

Twin dragons is done. First time ever playing this game; i picked this one and nebs and debs, both because they were highly recommended and well reviewed and also because they were on this list. I got through about half of n&d before someone else beat it. I'll go back and beat it some other time.

This one is quite good, albeit a bit short. Just the right level of challenge in my opinion. Great graphics, sound, game design, cutscenes, boss fights. All around great

TwinDragons.jpg