IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 189/303

Splain

54 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

what is a good replacement joystick and how hard is it to replace for og 64 controllers?  is there soldering inlvolved?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192054686850?hash=item2cb759f482:g:u0wAAOSw44BYU0nY

I've used these and they are not bad (but also not perfect).  The really cheap (less than $5 ones) are terrible and are more like the type you find in 3rd party controllers.  The "Gamecube" style ones are more expensive and just don't feel right to me...

No soldering involved, just some tiny screw removal and plug and play...the one thing I have found with this particular version of replacement stick is that the plastic needs to be filed down a little bit in some areas or your controller won't fit back together perfectly...I usually just smash it back together, and the controller is a little "bulgy"...but I only use my replacement stick controllers if we're playing 4-player...nobody ever notices...

Be careful to get the wiring out of the way when you are putting the screws back in! I accidently cut the wiring with a screw the first time I did a replacement 😞 .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

what is a good replacement joystick and how hard is it to replace for og 64 controllers?  is there soldering inlvolved?

Unfortunately eBay isn't allowing me to search far back, but I picked up a replacement joystick on eBay a while ago to replace a loose one. The joystick felt stiff at first, but it got better with more use. You need to be careful with the joystick you buy as I have read some plastic ones are cheap and wear away easily. There were some metal ones that I remember reading about that were meant to be a longer lasting fix, but I don't remember the name or if they were ever made.

If you can follow a simply Youtube video, you can replace a joystick. It's a joystick with the housing, literally just unplug and plug a new one with a few screws on the housing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

2 hours ago, Naked Warrior said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192054686850?hash=item2cb759f482:g:u0wAAOSw44BYU0nY

I've used these and they are not bad (but also not perfect).  The really cheap (less than $5 ones) are terrible and are more like the type you find in 3rd party controllers.  The "Gamecube" style ones are more expensive and just don't feel right to me...

No soldering involved, just some tiny screw removal and plug and play...the one thing I have found with this particular version of replacement stick is that the plastic needs to be filed down a little bit in some areas or your controller won't fit back together perfectly...I usually just smash it back together, and the controller is a little "bulgy"...but I only use my replacement stick controllers if we're playing 4-player...nobody ever notices...

Be careful to get the wiring out of the way when you are putting the screws back in! I accidently cut the wiring with a screw the first time I did a replacement 😞 .

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

Unfortunately eBay isn't allowing me to search far back, but I picked up a replacement joystick on eBay a while ago to replace a loose one. The joystick felt stiff at first, but it got better with more use. You need to be careful with the joystick you buy as I have read some plastic ones are cheap and wear away easily. There were some metal ones that I remember reading about that were meant to be a longer lasting fix, but I don't remember the name or if they were ever made.

If you can follow a simply Youtube video, you can replace a joystick. It's a joystick with the housing, literally just unplug and plug a new one with a few screws on the housing.

Please, consider just using kitsch bent parts. Those ebay replacement sticks are such junk, and once your replace the original (assuming you tossed the original module) then there is no going back and that controller is basically never going to feel like it should again. Effectively lowering the total number of “real”, for lack of a better term, controllers. There will come a day where that is a problem as more and more people opt for those ebay sticks.Theres really no reason to use them as long as kitsch bent parts are around.

These parts replace everything that wears out and keeps the proper electronics (the encoders) which are not replicated in the modern module replacements

https://store.kitsch-bent.com/

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

If you’ve got some spare coin you should check out the Retro Fighters stick. I can’t go back to the normal 64 controllers now, this thing has been fantastic: https://retrofighters.com/our-collection/brawler64-nextgen-n64-controller-colors/

Events Helper · Posted
16 minutes ago, Brickman said:

If you’ve got some spare coin you should check out the Retro Fighters stick. I can’t go back to the normal 64 controllers now, this thing has been fantastic: https://retrofighters.com/our-collection/brawler64-nextgen-n64-controller-colors/

I tell ya, I don't care how many people bitch about the og controllers, to me they are fabulous.  I know I'm odd man out most of the time, but I have muscle memory and actually enjoy using the og controller.  I will eventually try a brawler just because, but I prefer ole faithful dinosaur foot lol.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I tell ya, I don't care how many people bitch about the og controllers, to me they are fabulous.  I know I'm odd man out most of the time, but I have muscle memory and actually enjoy using the og controller.  I will eventually try a brawler just because, but I prefer ole faithful dinosaur foot lol.

Haha fair enough.

I don’t mind the OG either and never understood the hate but having the two Z buttons has been great and a game changer for N64 games that use them. The C buttons feel nicer too.

I like the OG joysticks but this one feels really nice.

Give it a go at some point, you never know 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Please, consider just using kitsch bent parts. Those ebay replacement sticks are such junk, and once your replace the original (assuming you tossed the original module) then there is no going back and that controller is basically never going to feel like it should again.

I'm always open to trying out replacing with original parts if possible.

Fortunately, the thumbstick I replaced it with actually felt pretty good and smooth after a little bit. Also, some thumbstick casings may have a different color scheme, which I prefer as opposed to trying to pass on replacement product as "original".

Anyways, I'll stop cluttering the thread.

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 56/303
1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

I'm always open to trying out replacing with original parts if possible.

Fortunately, the thumbstick I replaced it with actually felt pretty good and smooth after a little bit. Also, some thumbstick casings may have a different color scheme, which I prefer as opposed to trying to pass on replacement product as "original".

Anyways, I'll stop cluttering the thread.

Its not so much passing something off as original, as you can’t see the gears and bowls that need replacement. It’s about preserving proper function and dead-zones that have yet to be replicated by the Chinese clone modules. Though if you wanted to get a more unique look you could still get the thumbstick in a bunch of different colors or even glow in the dark. Which doesn’t affect the internal function.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:45 AM, Splain said:

Ocarina, actually. 😒

I took the @Jeevanpost to be an effort to call it for me so I could play both games of the series. A very nice gesture if Im right. I assume he is in the gloves camp that thinks majora is superior to ocarina. I prefer ocarina as majora has a bit too much of a groundhog day feel for me, but its def a great game as well. 

That said, Im not going to call majora at this time. It will be a while before I can finish ocarina with everything I have going on. By then, ill probably be RPGed out for a while and dont want to hold up the thread or stop someone from playing who really wants to. 

A quick ocarina update: finished fire temple last night. 21 heart pieces collected. 48 skutullas but Ive already missed some and may run out of steam on collecting them all. Its getting kind of tedious. 

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I took the @Jeevanpost to be an effort to call it for me so I could play both games of the series. A very nice gesture if Im right. I assume he is in the gloves camp that thinks majora is superior to ocarina. I prefer ocarina as majora has a bit too much of a groundhog day feel for me, but its def a great game as well. 

That said, Im not going to call majora at this time. It will be a while before I can finish ocarina with everything I have going on. By then, ill probably be RPGed out for a while and dont want to hold up the thread or stop someone from playing who really wants to. 

A quick ocarina update: finished fire temple last night. 21 heart pieces collected. 48 skutullas but Ive already missed some and may run out of steam on collecting them all. Its getting kind of tedious. 

actually if I'm honest, I fucked up lol, but if I'm also doubly honest.....I can't remember either of them as I haven't played them since they first came out, and still prefer ALTTP over them both 🤣

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 57/303
Events Helper · Posted

doing backstage assault now.  Time to get some games knocked out!!  Hurry back @Gloves.  We will need you soon enough to continue getting these games knocked down.  I plan on getting ogre battle knocked out as soon as possible, but with all the irl stuff going on its been difficult to find time to play.

Events Helper · Posted

I had a grand plan of knocking out like 4 games tonight, but seeing as how I am old, and can not sit cross legged for too long without hurting, its 1 and 1/3 of the wcw backstage assault!  😩

Fun fact, while looking for a controller with a less loose stick, I found my old controller pak!!!!!!  Has writing on it and everything 😆

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

I had a grand plan of knocking out like 4 games tonight, but seeing as how I am old, and can not sit cross legged for too long without hurting, its 1 and 1/3 of the wcw backstage assault!  😩

Fun fact, while looking for a controller with a less loose stick, I found my old controller pak!!!!!!  Has writing on it and everything 😆

WTF, get one of those big posh lazy boy things.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

My bedroom gaming corner:

PXL_20220113_044511789.jpg

imagine having just enough space for sitting cross legged back against the bed, tv about arms length from you 😆.  I could sit on the bed, but i look slightly down at the tv then and its just not comfy.  However i can stretch my legs out if i move my 2 tubs of games that are underneath the tv.  Just need to find a comfy cushion to set my butt on so it don't hurt after 5 mins. 🤔