IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 189/303

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, RH said:

Also, I was scrolling through the list for easy pickins form maybe another try at a game at a later date, and I see Quest 4 is available.  Didn't a few of you guys go ahead and play that game after @Reed Rothchild posted it for the gaming debates?

I feel that should be marked off by someone?

Aw crap, MagusSmurf totally did beat it and I MISSED IT

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 175/303

Goemon's Great Adventure completed ( sans the post-ending stuff ).

Fun game.  I really like the dynamic of random quests / minigames in the towns mixed with the action platforming.  I'm going to have to check out some of the fan translations of the PS1 games and it also looks like the WD PS2 game leaked as well.

goemon1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Shadows of the Empire down

I can understand why you'd quit this one lol.  The bosses are super cheap and tbh I'm not sure if it's possible to beat them without cheesing them as they've got attacks that can eat through all of your health in a second or two.  I did use save states in a limited capacity to practice ( or at least find the "weakness" of ) the two hardest bosses, Boba Fett + Slave 1 and the Gladiator Droid / Final Boss.  So slightly cheaty maybe, but imo their cheapness warrants it ( I did go back and beat the stages in a single run and am pretty sure I could do a no-death run at this point ).

After finishing the game, I don't hate it.  The gameplay gets switched up enough so that even if you hate a certain element, you know you're not likely to have to deal with it too much.  The controls and "aim lock" are super janky ( your aim, if you manage to get it to lock onto an enemy, hits at a maybe 10% rate ).  You would think the jetpack would be the most nightmarish element when the running/jumping/shooting are so janky, but somehow it's pretty fun/intuitive.  The dark/grittier take on Star Wars is okay, I guess, but the main character and villain are lame.

On now to Mission: Impossible.

shadowsoftheempire.png

• Like 7

Asteroids Hyper 64 completed  

I'm terrible at Asteroids but managed this one on the third try.  Not much more than about an hour's worth of gameplay, so if you bought this instead of renting back in the day, you kinda got hosed even if it was a budget title.  Mainly used this one to break up some of the other N64 games in my queue.  

asteroidsfinal.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 6

Space Invaders 64 done.

Kept the arcade space shooters going.  I'm worse at Space Invaders than I am at Asteroids, but I got this one in about 3-4 attempts as well.  Features a somewhat interesting puzzle-like mechanic where you shoot 4 like ships to get a power-up shot and has bosses at the end of each planet.  Otherwise, it's a pretty standard update of the arcade game.  But yeah, once again not much to it, 46 mins. 

EDIT: Looks like there are 2 more planets if you play on expert so went ahead and ran through that so now things are officially 100%.

spaceinvaders64.png

Edited by Redmond
  • Like 6

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 180/303
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the rules include "soft claims," I will mention that I'm currently working on Resident Evil 2 since it still shows open.  I understand that I'm not claiming dibs, but I wanted to mention that someone was at least working on it.  

I've never actually played the N64 version of RE2, so I'm kind of excited.  I'm extremely familiar with the PS1 version and I know they are pretty much the same game, but I'm still curious about what differences I can spot.  Assuming I don't have trouble adjusting to the different controller, I should have it done within a day or two.  

• Like 2

NBA Live 2000 is done (I think?), won the NBA Championship :

n64_nbalive2000_champion_01.jpeg.353cf9f5f91122e0840d923032aca1bf.jpeg

1583086584_n64_nbalive2000_champion_02(2).jpeg.dc22cb0a66310c38cd66cc92b1211bec.jpeg

I haven't played a basketball game in forever but was pretty fun. Also I guess this marks the first N64 game I've ever considered beaten, lol.  I never owned one but played it a lot back in the day with relatives.

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 4

Bomberman Hero completed.  Odd game, but not bad.  I remember 100%'ing this as a kid.  Some of the bosses are a real PITA almost on par with getting S-ranks in Mischief Makers, so just a normal clear this go 'round.  Bomberman gets a kiss and a medal from the princess while the bombermen ( bomber people, idk ) cheer.

I think we can get to 303 by year's end, but it's going to be a rough landing lol.

The almighty emulator has let me down a bit, Blue Brothers 2000's bosses run at double speed or something, which isn't a problem for the first one since you can tank him, but on the 2nd level there's an alligator that one-hit KOs you, making it impossible without cheats.  So I'll have to bust out the actual cart on that one.

bombermanheroending.png

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 184/303

Finished Resident Evil 2 tonight.  My overall time was just ok since I wasn't rushing, and I saved a lot because I didn't want to take any chances getting killed.  However, I didn't use a single first aid spray which helps the ranking a little.  I ended up with a B ranking, and that's fine with me.  I finished with a single death which is rare for me, but I accidentally ran into a skinless zombie that I didn't realize was in the room and they take a lot of damage 

Glad I could help with the contest and also get a bingo piece.  As I mentioned, this was my first time playing the N64 version.  I noticed some differences, but overall prefer the PS1 version.  I had a lot of trouble hitting enemies with the weapons which I've never had trouble with on PS1.  I was using the d-pad on the N64 controller because I don't care for analog control while I'm using tank controls.  The N64 controller seemed to work fine for me.  I just feel like the hit detection was off.  

ObyWomF.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 4

It doesn't count for this thread because it was Japan-only, but I completed Shiren the Wanderer 2 with the translation patch that was released about a year ago. It's a gentle introduction to roguelikes with dungeons slowly increasing in difficulty. There are some grindy parts where you have to run the same dungeon but the core mechanics are solid and the final dungeon is a challenge.

shiren_the_wanderer_2_small.jpg.14b59b97e132d65924f0a33a6371c6a7.jpg

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
11 hours ago, LHCGreg said:

It doesn't count for this thread because it was Japan-only, but I completed Shiren the Wanderer 2 with the translation patch that was released about a year ago. It's a gentle introduction to roguelikes with dungeons slowly increasing in difficulty. There are some grindy parts where you have to run the same dungeon but the core mechanics are solid and the final dungeon is a challenge.

shiren_the_wanderer_2_small.jpg.14b59b97e132d65924f0a33a6371c6a7.jpg

is there not a whole lot of Japanese in it, sounds interesting, I might have to look it up.

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 187/303
  • The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 - 189/303
Editorials Team · Posted

Alright well maybe we'll try again next year!

Should we take EU games off the list to bring it down to 296?

Do the Claim Sheet again? It's hard to tell if it accomplished what we wanted it to, which was to avoid doubling efforts. But it may have also prevented people from playing games, that then made it to the end of the year, unplayed. Shrug!