IGNORED

Main site down for days?

LeatherRebel5150

Social Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Gloves said:

The issue is literally with the Google-held domain not pointing to the server where VGS exists. 

We've gone with Invision Cloud as a platform for the forum to avoid NA-style concerns. We don't have to manage old servers, and we're always making upgrades to the software with mostly a simple click of a button so it never gets stale. 

So even in the cases where the site goes down, or as is the case today "moves" (temporarily), the forum itself remains and will come back as-is no matter what. There's an alternative for Invision Cloud as well, should the need ever arise (in the case that one of the most popular forum softwares suddenly goes belly-up) - we can self-host if somehow Invision itself implodes, and everything should be perfectly capable of being moved on over without issue.

Hopefully these other options don't require ID 😏

• Haha 3

On 12/23/2021 at 2:42 PM, Gloves said:

It's worth noting the following:

image.png

I know people have a general aversion to marketing emails, ads, etc..

But this is a community where we're honestly not ever going to use email notifications to market to anyone. I sent out an email to everyone who has allowed us to email them literally JUST this once so far in the last 2 years, to let people know about the temporary change in URL.

If you've opted out of emails, you're opting out of being notified via email in case of emergency/outage, and really not much else.

1290 people got the email, of the 2800 users on the forum. So the rest I hope are either following our Twitter, on the Facebook group, or in Discord. They're not though, so I am sure a large chunk of people are unaware and probably actively trying to hit the normal URL without success.

It's upsetting to me because this was entirely out of our hands - Google decided one day to come down from on high and say "we're going to suspend your domain until you provide us what we want" with nary any forewarning. That's not at all how the internet is intended to work, but Google basically owns the internet now.

Suffice it to say I'll be moving the domain off of Google as a registrar the moment I am able.

i was actually cleaning out my email inbox this week

there were over a thousand emails from videogamesage about werewolf, survivor, and god only knows what else

never again!

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

i was actually cleaning out my email inbox this week

there were over a thousand emails from videogamesage about werewolf, survivor, and god only knows what else

never again!

yes, that is separate from this, this is for emails like when the site goes down, etc.  The other ones there is a setting somewheres to not get them 😆.  I turned that off ages ago.  I got this email.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:30 AM, a3quit4s said:

Explanation of the issue below with appearances by Karl Jobst, Pat the NES Punk, Jeff from GoCollect, @Gloves, @DefaultGen, a homeless guy that collects sealed Tecmo Bowls, and a support desk analyst from Google who escalated Gloves ticket to the engineering team who is on vacation till 1/3/22

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

You got me there...

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

Hey all,

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your patience and understanding.  We are trying to get the main URL up as soon as possible.  I'm glad we at least were able to create an alternate for now, but we're doing everything we can to get the main domain back up.

Thank you to everyone who has been really supportive as we get this little kink worked out!  

• Like 5

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, CMR said:

Thanks to Tanooki from me as well.  I tried twitter, facebook, and discord, but the searches on all three for "videogamesage" came up blank.

there are links on the main bar up top, discord and twitter!  Might bookmark them in case something like this happens again!

Social Team · Posted
22 hours ago, spacepup said:

Hey all,

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your patience and understanding.  We are trying to get the main URL up as soon as possible.  I'm glad we at least were able to create an alternate for now, but we're doing everything we can to get the main domain back up.

Thank you to everyone who has been really supportive as we get this little kink worked out!  

Don't worry my support won't end even after the main site is up again..... This event will be a source of memes forever.  I just got to trickle it out over the months and years.

Love you @Gloves

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm getting dangerously close to updating my bookmarks 😤 But for I will keep going to a 404 page and manually fixing the URL.

I forget where I have and haven't stated this so may as well repeat - the process I'm in right now is expected to take 3-6 weeks, and started on December 28th. At that point I will be able to resubmit to Google. 

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
On 1/8/2022 at 4:43 PM, Gloves said:

I forget where I have and haven't stated this so may as well repeat - the process I'm in right now is expected to take 3-6 weeks, and started on December 28th. At that point I will be able to resubmit to Google. 

What a crock of shit.

Not to you, I mean to the fact that this whole process will end up taking THAT long due to Google being a buncha dicks.

I guess I'm just pissed off on your behalf, haha.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

What a crock of shit.

Not to you, I mean to the fact that this whole process will end up taking THAT long due to Google being a buncha dicks.

I guess I'm just pissed off on your behalf, haha.

Lol thanks. I come off cool and collected in general I think, but I'm pissed. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Gloves said:

Lol thanks. I come off cool and collected in general I think, but I'm pissed. 

Yeah, I'm generally the same way. If this whole thing was just like a week or two little spat with Google that resolved itself quickly, it's whatever, but the fact that they sprung this on you with no warning and it's now going to take you this long to even resolve this is enough to even piss me off as someone who has nothing to do with running the actual site.

13 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

the fact that this whole process will end up taking THAT long due to Google being a buncha dicks.

@RegularGuyGamer has really good advice about building relationships by not being a dick or a douche.  Maybe he should have told Google.  

In fact, since he didn't tell Google, maybe this whole thing is his fault.......🤔

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...