IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest Round 2: Star Fox 64

Red

Hello and welcome to the second round of the Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Star Fox 64.

Rules:

- Start a new game (do not play on expert).

- Play until you lose all your lives or you beat the game.

- You may take any path you'd like.

- If you do not beat the game, take your picture on the map screen after you lose all your lives.

- If you beat the game, take your picture on the name entry screen.

- If you get more than 511 hits on any stage, subtract the difference between your hits on that stage and 511 from your total hits.  The later revision of this game only allows for a maximum of 511 hits per stage, so to keep things fair, 511 hits will be the maximum number of hits per stage for all participants.

- Highest score (number of hits) wins.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, December 26, 2021 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/9667-nintendo-64-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20212022/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 755 (RH)

2. 742 (ZeldaFan042)

3. 572 (Krunch)

4. 540 (PII)

5. 468 (Jeevan)

6. 345 (Splain)

Edited by Red

6 minutes ago, Splain said:

The later revision caps at 511??

From what I've read, the original version has a bug in it that causes the game to subtract 256 from your final score if you get over 511 points in a single stage.  The revised version "fixed" this by preventing you from scoring more than 511 points in any single stage.

• Wow! 1

Man I cant wait to play this.  It's been like a decade by now.  This was one of the mega-popular games along with Paper Mario and Conker's that I never actually played as a kid - difference being that it was an earlier release and I still missed it somehow.  I used to play the SNES one at my cousins but no one was ever good at that

On 12/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, PII said:

Will-do.  The only reason I didn't was because all of my top ten old shooting scores were higher so it wouldn't even give me that particular read-out...

Ah, I didn't think of that.  For low scores, it doesn't really matter, but with higher scores, people playing on the original version of the cart could have a higher score shown on that screen than someone who played just as well on the revised cart.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, PII said:

Will-do.  The only reason I didn't was because all of my top ten old shooting scores were higher so it wouldn't even give me that particular read-out...

8 hours ago, Red said:

Ah, I didn't think of that.  For low scores, it doesn't really matter, but with higher scores, people playing on the original version of the cart could have a higher score shown on that screen than someone who played just as well on the revised cart.

One way around this is to take a photo before going into Andross and then taking a photo of your final score. You shouldn't get +511 in the final battle, but if you do you can just reduce your score to you previous score from the system map plus 511.

2 hours ago, RH said:

One way around this is to take a photo before going into Andross and then taking a photo of your final score. You shouldn't get +511 in the final battle, but if you do you can just reduce your score to you previous score from the system map plus 511.

Can you see that map after mission 6 though?  If one doesn't expect that they will be able to take their picture at the name entry screen, then they should take their picture at the map screen after mission 5 and two more pictures after beating mission 6 and Venom.

If anyone is playing on the revised cart, taking your picture on the invoice screen is okay.

@Gloves @Krunch@Splain @Jeevan @NESfiend

Less than 12 hours to go.  Don't forget to post your scores!

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
15 minutes ago, Red said:

Can you see that map after mission 6 though?  If one doesn't expect that they will be able to take their picture at the name entry screen, then they should take their picture at the map screen after mission 5 and two more pictures after beating mission 6 and Venom.

If anyone is playing on the revised cart, taking your picture on the invoice screen is okay.

@Gloves @Krunch@Splain @Jeevan @NESfiend

Less than 12 hours to go.  Don't forget to post your scores!

imma try to do a run tonight lol, been busy again this week, bit still gonna try to get something