IGNORED

Certified Link Thread

4 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I compared the copies. Not the same copy. Although same 6.0 grade. 

The other one did have a nicer box, but I'm not sure if I should be kicking myself for missing out on a deal by not placing another bid at the last second or if the first one just went ridiculously high. I was watching the other sticker sealed black box games ending before it and they didnt seem to be going very high so I'm guessing that $3900 price was more in the range of what would be reasonable.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

The other one did have a nicer box, but I'm not sure if I should be kicking myself for missing out on a deal by not placing another bid at the last second or if the first one just went ridiculously high. I was watching the other sticker sealed black box games ending before it and they didnt seem to be going very high so I'm guessing that $3900 price was more in the range of what would be reasonable.

My personal feeling is the 22K auction was hype driven at the time. As many here called it like @jonebone. Can we really say those auction points burst a bubble? I think the data tells the story. 

1 minute ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

My personal feeling is the 22K auction was hype driven at the time. As many here called it like @jonebone. Can we really say those auction points burst a bubble? I think the data tells the story. 

I have no doubt the $22k sale was crazy, but if I couId have gotten one in the same grade with a box that was a little rougher for 20% of that I'm wondering if I should have pulled the trigger at the last second. 

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have no doubt the $22k sale was crazy, but if I couId have gotten one in the same grade with a box that was a little rougher for 20% of that I'm wondering if I should have pulled the trigger at the last second. 

Hard saying where the other bidder was. Dont beat yourself up. lol

3 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Hard saying where the other bidder was. Dont beat yourself up. lol

I personally didn't want to go over $3500 on it and I actually stuck to that so I'm not too upset over it. Now, if the same copy or a similar one goes for $10k in the next auction, then I might beat myself up a little bit.

I personally didn't want to go over $3500 on it and I actually stuck to that so I'm not too upset over it. Now, if the same copy or a similar one goes for $10k in the next auction, then I might beat myself up a little bit.

Good for you for sticking to your guns. More data is needed to reach further conclusions I would say. But it is beginning to become clearer.

33 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Having a comic background myself (but also a games background) I think it was hard for the guys newly over from comics to understand the giant gap that a 6.0 cib and a 9.4 sealed are on an early title. 

They don’t have the sealed and cib concepts; all comics come ‘cib’ unless missing pages.    As a result I think it was initially difficult for them to understand how special a sealed is on certain titles and how available a cib is sometimes on the same title.    

They are learning really really fast though; I don’t expect to see a widespread mistake like that again any time soon.

Edited by Bronty

14 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Having a comic background myself (but also a games background) I think it was hard for the guys newly over from comics to understand the giant gap that a 6.0 cib and a 9.4 sealed are on an early title. 

They don’t have the sealed and cib concepts; all comics come ‘cib’ unless missing pages.    As a result I think it was initially difficult for them to understand how special a sealed is on certain titles and how available a cib is sometimes on the same title.    

They are learning really really fast though; I don’t expect to see a widespread mistake like that again any time soon.

I started in comics, then vintage toys, then vintage baseball cards so even I have trouble applying the grading standards from one hobby to the other. I was honestly confused on how they came up with a 6.0 grade when the box itself was graded a 3.0 and had the notation that it was missing both inner flaps, but the cart and manual had 8.0 grades.

I started in comics, then vintage toys, then vintage baseball cards so even I have trouble applying the grading standards from one hobby to the other. I was honestly confused on how they came up with a 6.0 grade when the box itself was graded a 3.0 and had the notation that it was missing both inner flaps, but the cart and manual had 8.0 grades.

There you go.   Yeah they have some kind of formula where the box is 50% of the grade and the interiors 50% of the grade

2 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

I should have include the backs as well. Each box got a 5.5, the front of the right box looks nicer for sure. 

I just double checked and the box on the one last night had a 3.5 grade so if the other was a 5.5, I didn't notice a huge difference in the two pictures either.

One thing is for sure, if there’s money to be made  we are going to see big time grade creep on cibs as people start to marry parts and max out the potential grades with other means including pressing and cleaning and whatever other tricks they come up with.    

One thing you can’t take away from sealed is that no one has touched it.    With all the manipulation that goes on to maximize grade in other hobbies it’s to know that if you have a sealed game no one has trimmed or pressed or cleaned or given it a solvent bath or whatever.    It’s been left alone since the day it was made.  You don’t get those guarantees in things like comics, in fact you assume the opposite 

5 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

A buddy I were talking about if as the listings were closing last night. Does this speak more to the audience population? Would this have ever slipped through on Ebay?

Nah.   I think it just slipped through, it happens.  There’s plenty of people that collect cib watching those auctions as well

Panic could be cracked open and flipped on eBay at a profit I'm sure, but it was beat.  I'm almost scared to see what that looks like inside.  I also thought SNES Aero Fighters went pretty low for having poster.  I was the underbidder and just thought it could be cracked and sold at $1500+.

On Marios the formula is 50% box grade, 30% cart, 20% manual.

$22k Mario was 5.5 Box / 7.0 Cart / 6.5 Manual = 6.15 which rounds down to 6.0.
$3900 Mario was 3.5 Box / 8.0 Cart / 8.5 Manual = 5.85 which rounds up to 6.0.

For some rough math, I do stand by my estimate that the box should be about 90% of the value here.  And 5.5 box / 3.5 box = 1.57 ratio.  So I would say that whatever price you think is fair for the sticker CIB Mario, the 6.0 with nicer box should be about 1.57 more expensive than the 6.0 with a beat box.  Insides would be much easier to upgrade here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Ok .    So no doubt this recent One is a lot rougher.    1/2 to 2/3 of the value of the other one maybe?    That back wear and missing flaps are pretty savage.   Thoughts?

Taking a closer look. I would agree. Condition plays a big part in this particular title.

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

One thing is for sure, if there’s money to be made  we are going to see big time grade creep on cibs as people start to marry parts and max out the potential grades with other means including pressing and cleaning and whatever other tricks they come up with.    

One thing you can’t take away from sealed is that no one has touched it.    With all the manipulation that goes on to maximize grade in other hobbies it’s to know that if you have a sealed game no one has trimmed or pressed or cleaned or given it a solvent bath or whatever.    It’s been left alone since the day it was made.  You don’t get those guarantees in things like comics, in fact you assume the opposite 

I got out of comics right about the time CGC started, but I remember professionally cleaned/pressed comics being sold and it wasn't always disclosed. I didn't have a problem with buying a cleaned and pressed comic at a discount. I tried to avoid restored books although I bought my More Fun #52 from the original owner and I had it restored by Matt Nelson because the spine was completely split and the edges of the pages were becoming brittle. It was one of those cases where it was mostly intact otherwise other than a small piece out of the lower right corner of the cover. It ended up with a CGC 6.0 (R/Extensive) grade in the end, but it went from being tattered to a respectable mid grade looking copy.