IGNORED

VGS NES TOURNAMENT - Grand Finals

BeaIank

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis I use the slow cheese on that guy before joker too so your like down here with tapeworm in skill level at video games. Welcome brother 💪🏻

Ha!  I'll never be that bad, will I???  Like 12k in Challenger bad?  *shudders*

I actually had like ten good runs in a row stop dead in their tracks by my failure to successfully do the quick kill strat on Firebug, so finally, I was like "Fuck it!  I'll kill him the slow way..."

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Ha!  I'll never be that bad, will I???  Like 12k in Challenger bad?  *shudders*

I actually had like ten good runs in a row stop dead in their tracks by my failure to successfully do the quick kill strat on Firebug, so finally, I was like "Fuck it!  I'll kill him the slow way..."

I haven’t noticed a quick way yet. I stopped trying to defeat him and just look at his pattern and fell upon the slow way. Joker is a little tougher, there is a tech but I need some luck too.

11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I haven’t noticed a quick way yet. I stopped trying to defeat him and just look at his pattern and fell upon the slow way. Joker is a little tougher, there is a tech but I need some luck too.

The only real issue with Joker is  that his gun shots take off three health bars, which is a ton when you only have eight to begin with (if you're lucky).  I pretty much always beat the Joker if I don't take a gunshot wound; it's like a war of attrition but he usually falls before I do.  But man, can that guy ever take a lot of punches to the face!

Edited by Dr. Morbis

19 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I tried a couple more times and improved by 30ish seconds. I've had a run die on Joker that would have been 15 seconds faster than this one, but I've about hit my limit for the week.

I hit my limit yesterday when the law of diminishing returns started kicking in.  It's tough knowing way better strategies are out there, but when you only have a week you have to sort of go with what is easy to master short term.

I guess it's time to post my results.

Batman: Completed, 15:28

I'm not entirely sure on what the timing is supposed to be, so feel free to retime. Here's the video description with notes on the run:

Spoiler

Minor mistakes in 1-1
Missed the quick kill on the level 1 boss
My soundbar decides to randomly connect to me phone for no reason in 2-1, lol
Forgot to use the dirk strats at the end of 2-1
Somehow got the mid-air jump to start 3-2
Lost some time on the jumpers in the bottom of 3-2
Batman didn't want to face the tank at the beginning of 3-3
Thankfully only took 3 damage on the level 3 boss instead of my usual 4 which kept me alive
Got the tight jump I suck at in the bottom of 4-2
I got the bad pattern on the level 4 boss, but luckily kept it together
Despawn climb in 5-1 went fairly well until I screwed up exiting
Good firebug
Ran out of batarangs for the Joker and was not comfortable with punching strats. I still pulled it off at the cost of some time

Macross: 999,900 = 9 points

image.png.fc9f1542434a5a9a8ed479b15f796785.png

I didn't even intend to hit 999,900 exactly, but it lined up perfectly. Thank god the shooter was easy because I normally suck at them.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Just watched: wow your firebug strat is pretty quick and 100% safe, that would knock 40 seconds off my run.  And I didn't know you could de-spawn all the dudes in the clocktower like that, but I don't think it saves any time, though it conserves possible loss of health bars.

Anyway, great run.  I'll post mine shortly...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Do you have a crazy 11th hour score or are you really done like you said you were... 🤔

Im many things, but not a liar. It was a tough week for me to go crazy with it, but even with time I had no chance. I had a lot of fun trying on batman, but ive been done for a while. Saw levels I never have on it and plan to get back to it. Awesome game, just tough

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just watched: wow your firebug strat is pretty quick and 100% safe, that would knock 40 seconds off my run.  And I didn't know you could de-spawn all the dudes in the clocktower like that, but I don't think it saves any time, though it conserves possible loss of health bars.

Anyway, great run.  I'll post mine shortly...

The firebug strat isn't 100% safe. Sometimes he just decides to punch you and I've never figured out what causes it. In the video I got lucky and he never did it. 

I figured all of the clocktower enemies could be despawned, it was just a matter of figuring out the setup. It's definitely slightly slower but safer. But strats like that let me skip all the droppers. 

3 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The firebug strat isn't 100% safe. Sometimes he just decides to punch you and I've never figured out what causes it. In the video I got lucky and he never did it.

Yeah, that's why I did my lame-ass cheese win against firebug: I was just so sick of having great runs ending on him or the Joker that I wanted to eliminate one of those two possibilities...

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Okay, I've posted my scores on page 1; @0xDEAFC0DE too bad your 15 second better score died on the Joker... 😉

Looks like it doesn't matter anyway considering Bert. Crazy that we are all within 30 seconds of each other. 

Now I'm going to see what you did differently in your video. 

I've got the highest verifiable score... that's a moral victory, I guess.  It's crazy that they were all within 30 seconds of each other.  I considered not posting my time until after Bert had so he couldn't just so happen to post a picture with a better time, but I thought fuck it, I'm sure he's an honest guy...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Bummer, if I had used your firebug strat I would have beat him... 😞 

After watching your video I realized my problem is I try to kill too many things when skipping them is faster. This stems from when I causally play games my natural instinct is to kill all enemies. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Okay, I've posted my scores on page 1; @0xDEAFC0DE too bad your 15 second better score died on the Joker... 😉

I went back and checked the video of my failed run and I was two seconds ahead of you going into the Joker fight, so it definitely would have been a close one. 

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

After watching your video I realized my problem is I try to kill too many things when skipping them is faster. This stems from when I causally play games my natural instinct is to kill all enemies.

Yeah, the issue is killing enough bad guys to keep supplies and health up, but not so many that you're wasting your time.  So I usually tried to only kill guys I had to hit to get by anyway, other than 1-1, where I intentionally killed a bunch of guys to build up my initial stocks...

Well, it's been a slice, folks.  This season has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to next year.  And hopefully we'll all get those neat little icons under our names for the winners like the 2019 guys did 🙂

And extra special congrats to @docile tapeworm for coming in sixteenth out of sixteen players in the tournament!  Your incredible performance when "it mattered most" will not soon be forgotten....   😉😛😛😛

• Haha 3