IGNORED

Reed's finds/pickups

Reed Rothchild

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

January points time.  Used 'em this time to get another pro controller for $45.  Figure I should aim for 4 of them for my game nights I host.

And then I got the PS2 and PS1 games from @docile tapeworm.  I have Grandia II and FFIX on Switch - so I'll never play these - but I used to own them and I like the artwork, so I'm happy to have them back in the collection.  Permanently this time.

I also got the last Sanderson import I needed.

PXL_20220128_190300167.jpg

And then I replaced a bunch of other games I used to have.  Very happy to have them back because (Castlevania aside) I still need to finish every one of these games.  So I prioritized getting them back for next year's backlog challenge, where I plan on finishing every one of these.

PXL_20220128_190424006.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

February hauls.  Got a third pro controller for an upcoming game night with some coupon discounts.

I'll be getting a 4th one soon here with the help of Amazon points.

The books are from a gift card and a used book store find.

The games are all ones I used to have.  Happy to replace them all.  I have almost my entire original Cube collection back at this point.

PXL_20220219_213622491.jpg

PXL_20220219_212638308.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Mega Tank said:

That TV show Terror any good? I saw one episode and it didn't quite do it for me, but the trailer made the show look real good.

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Dunno, that's the book

The Terror (book) is awesome. Probably one of my favorite of the last ten years. I haven't checked out the show, but I've heard it's also pretty good. The novel is a real beast though, so I'm guessing they had to make a lot of compromises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Editorials Team · Posted

The monthly update.

Yomawari was $40, back in stock on the NIS website
Psyvariar was $30 on eBay.  Figured I should finally get around to buying it.
The rest are an LRG order.

PXL_20220503_032942814.jpg

Damnation Game was a few bucks after a Barnes & Noble gift card.  The Troop was $5 after using my Amazon points.  The rest were thrift store finds.

PXL_20220503_032937543.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Points time.  Was able to get Disco Elysium down to like $5.  And Monster Hunter Stories 2 and Neo World Ends were both on sale for $30.  The End Is Nigh I was able to get down to $13 with my Gamestop coupon.

And then I found volume 3 of Penny Arcade at a thrift store.  Since my local used book store has had volumes 1 and 2 for years, I took it as a sign and bought all three.

And then Nick Nolte + Walter Hill.  'nuff said.

PXL_20220528_062202413.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

I found something in the wild?  What the hell?

Went into the pawn shop by my work, which I rarely visit because they never have anything.  And to my surprise they had Fire Emblem and Nintendo Switch Sports on the counter.  Their price?  $5!

...but it turns out someone had stolen the cart out of Switch Sports.  Some time shortly before I got there, because the incredulous owner had just checked them.

Oh well, still came out ahead.

PXL_20220620_223407083.jpg

• Like 2

Killer queen black is super hard to explain, but basically 2 teams try to compete against each other to complete 1/3 ways to win. There is one person as queen per team, the rest are worker roles that can be upgraded to fighting roles. You can win by riding the snail as a worker to the goal (whilest everyone tries to kill you), 3 kills on the queen, or collecting the balls to fill your side of the board.

It is one of those game that once you get it, you're like I don't know how to explain this but everything clicks into place after watching people play or playing a few rounds.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Killer queen black is super hard to explain, but basically 2 teams try to compete against each other to complete 1/3 ways to win. There is one person as queen per team, the rest are worker roles that can be upgraded to fighting roles. You can win by riding the snail as a worker to the goal (whilest everyone tries to kill you), 3 kills on the queen, or collecting the balls to fill your side of the board.

It is one of those game that once you get it, you're like I don't know how to explain this but everything clicks into place after watching people play or playing a few rounds.

I've heard it's amazing if you can get a team together, but I've never personally played it. Sounds cool though.

Editorials Team · Posted

Used my points this month to get Without Warning.  I sold the OOP Scream version for a lot a couple years ago, and replaced it for nothing, so that's a win.  And the Omen set was finally cheap after years of waiting.  The Wiz was $1 new.  I already covered the Switch stuff.  And Ace Attorney was $30 new.

PXL_20220630_042552078.jpg

And I grabbed like 20 books from thrift stores.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Story time.

I played an absolute shit-ton of PS1, PS2, and had quite a PS3 collection (I gravitated towards the 360 that generation).  But by the time the PS4, XBONE, and Wii U came around, I had shifted priorities around due to wife and kids, skipping that generation entirely.  I basically just played handhelds and SNES for all of those years.

But I always wanted a PS4.  I even started building up a collection ahead of getting the actual console, with a couple dozen titles to my name by 2017.  

But then Mario Odyssey came out, and I suddenly realized that the Switch was hiding in plain sight right in front of me.  After writing off Nintendo consoles after ditching the Gamecube mid-stream to focus on the PS2, I became aware that Nintendo had released a handheld disguised as a console, and they had quickly released two of the most celebrated Zelda and Mario titles in decades for it.  And as much as it was a gigantic stretch to picture myself playing PS4 games for extended periods of time in my nonexistant family room, I realized getting a Switch instead was a no-brainer.

So I ditched the PS4 plans, slowly purged the collection I built up (most of them were either readibly available, or were ported to Switch, the exceptions at this point being Shadow Complex and Astebreed), and jumped into the Switch collection instead.

Five years later, I'm ready for attempt #3.  I finally have a family room and a large UHD TV where I can relax at night, my kids are old enough to not endanger any fancy new consoles that are in a shared space, and I have a pretty concrete idea of what is going to see a Switch port or not, and can prioritize as necessary.  I'll also be getting a PS5 before the years ends, one way or another.

And - super importantly - I am about one month away from being done with the US Super Nintendo library.  So I'm about to have massive amounts of time at night that are suddenly freed up.  So I'll actually have the bandwidth to play these things.

So, I'm building up the collection of PS4 and PS5 games, and now is the perfect time because they are dirt cheap.

I ordered Torment ($9), Dishonored 2 ($8) and Resident Evil VII Gold ($21).  Ialso  just grabbed all of these for $15 total.

PXL_20220704_192954798.jpg

I absolutely had to get FC5 up front.  I live 30 minutes from Paradise Valley and other inspirations for this game.

And there's about 50 other PS4 games I'd really like to have, and maybe another 50 that I could see myself jumping on.  In addition to whatever interesting stuff we get on PS5 such as Eldin Ring and Returnal.  I future-proofed my shelving and budgeted about 100-200 spots for PS4/PS5.

Other stuff I eventually would like to get: Final Fantasy VII Remake, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima, Nier, Nioh 1 + 2, Horizon 1 and 2, God of War, Village, REMake 2, REMake 3, Pillars 2, Divinity, a bunch of remasters like God of War 3 and Dead Rising 1 + 2, Wolfenstein NO and OB, another copy of Shadow Complex, the Yakuza games, and so forth.

So after I acquire the console I'll have the handhelds (Switch + 3DS) which will be my preferred consoles, the family multiplayer (Switch), the retro stuff in my gaming room, and then the PS5 for the sorta UHD/AAA stuff that I won't ever see on the Switch.  That may be the final endgame for me.  We'll see.  It's almost certainly where my cutoff for collecting will lay.

Again, it's ultra hard to find the time to spend hours in front of a TV, as that is a luxury I just do not have as an adult.  Handhelds will always win out in that regard.  And I still plan on prioritizing my backlog games for the foreseeable future as well.  But it will be nice to finally have this option open to me at least.

• Like 5
  • Love 1