IGNORED

2021 VGS NES Tournament

BeaIank

Just now, PII said:

@Bearcat-Doug@NESfiend@Jeevan

Your pallets are unrefined good sirs.  You wouldn't die once in a video game and never try again would you?

Sake is Delicious.  Give it another go.  Just stay away from the unfiltered stuff...

I almost got brave enough to give it another try the last time I went out for sushi. Never say never I guess.

4 minutes ago, PII said:

@Bearcat-Doug@NESfiend@Jeevan

Your pallets are unrefined good sirs.  You wouldn't die once in a video game and never try again would you?

Sake is Delicious.  Give it another go.  Just stay away from the unfiltered stuff...

All this build up for your game choice and you finallly show up to defend Sake? Give the people what they are waiting for!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

All this build up for your game choice and you finallly show up to defend Sake? Give the people what they are waiting for!

Apparently slandering people's drink of choice is the secret to speeding up the game selection process. I hear @bertsampson is really into Cosmopolitans.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

kero is the puzzle game, would you like me to bump it up?  It would have been higher had i been able to speak japanese as that is what the rom is in......

I watched a YouTube video of it and had no idea what was going on. Hopefully someone else picks it and gets it off the list. 

3 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

kero is the puzzle game, would you like me to bump it up?  It would have been higher had i been able to speak japanese as that is what the rom is in......

There's an English patch on Romhacking: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/165/

And unlike Holy Diver, it doesn't change how the game runs, so there's no issue using it for competition.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

You done need to speak Japanese. Just select the first option for both choices on the options screen (New game and 1 player I think) and the rest is fairly easy to pick up. Or I guess use the translation. 

17 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I watched a YouTube video of it and had no idea what was going on. Hopefully someone else picks it and gets it off the list. 

It's pretty simple. I'll start with the general stuff. The candies give bonus points. Ice cream cones add an ice cream to the timer on the right. Hearts open up a bonus level. Clouds give you a sort of cheat action that depends on the level (Press B to use). In addition to standard movement, you can jump a space with A. There are four types of stages. 

The apple stages are just a maze with conveyor belts, switches, tunnels, and invisible teleports. The cloud gives you full ice cream cones. 

The grape stages are just remember the path. The cloud shows the path again. 

Pineapple is more interesting. To walk/jump onto a pink platform it has to have a bit pointing to you. When you land on it, it will turn 90 degrees clockwise. The cloud turns the pink piece you are on into a lily pad. 

Lemon also is interesting. To walk/jump on a tile it must be the same color as the one you are currently on. When you land on one, it follows colors and the tiles in each direction change like Othello (every tile between the one you're on and the next one of the same color gets flipped). Additionally, if you land on a star it flips every tile in the row and column instead. The cloud flips the color of the tile you're on.

For the heart bonus stage, just pick the right slide to reach the end 8 times in a row. 

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

You done need to speak Japanese. Just select the first option for both choices on the options screen (New game and 1 player I think) and the rest is fairly easy to pick up. Or I guess use the translation. 

It's pretty simple. I'll start with the general stuff. The candies give bonus points. Ice cream cones add an ice cream to the timer on the right. Hearts open up a bonus level. Clouds give you a sort of cheat action that depends on the level (Press B to use). In addition to standard movement, you can jump a space with A. There are four types of stages. 

The apple stages are just a maze with conveyor belts, switches, tunnels, and invisible teleports. The cloud gives you full ice cream cones. 

The grape stages are just remember the path. The cloud shows the path again. 

Pineapple is more interesting. To walk/jump onto a pink platform it has to have a bit pointing to you. When you land on it, it will turn 90 degrees clockwise. The cloud turns the pink piece you are on into a lily pad. 

Lemon also is interesting. To walk/jump on a tile it must be the same color as the one you are currently on. When you land on one, it follows colors and the tiles in each direction change like Othello (every tile between the one you're on and the next one of the same color gets flipped). Additionally, if you land on a star it flips every tile in the row and column instead. The cloud flips the color of the tile you're on.

For the heart bonus stage, just pick the right slide to reach the end 8 times in a row. 

That sounds tedious to say the least. Why anyone would want to play that on purpose is beyond me.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

That sounds tedious to say the least. Why anyone would want to play that on purpose is beyond me.

Grape stages are a bit boring and I can see the apple stages getting old, but they are both quick to do. The pineapple and lemon stages make for pretty good puzzles that require a bit of thinking to figure out. 

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Grape stages are a bit boring and I can see the apple stages getting old, but they are both quick to do. The pineapple and lemon stages make for pretty good puzzles that require a bit of thinking to figure out. 

I prefer games where the thinking requirements are limited to A jumps and B shoots.

• Like 1