IGNORED

Official Super Nintendo Power Adapter Variants

monsterG

I noticed some superficial differences between the SNES power adapter. Which of these was released earlier, say in the original Mario World sets?

One power supply has a craggy texture. The other appears more smooth. The back side of the smooth one has a lot number printed just below the prongs. The back side of the craggy adapter has the lot number printed below the caution text 

Both share the same model number (SNS-002).

20211110_192012.jpg

20211110_192112.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually made in japan are earlier models, then they move to cheaper production plants overseas, like taiwan or china or wherever they decide to set up a plant

same cases for GB consoles (japan > china) and n64 controllers (japan > china)

but it's possible in some cases they are made around the same time frame, since they may have active productions plants in different places at the same time, e.g. saturn consoles were being made in different countries concurrently.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

usually made in japan are earlier models, then they move to cheaper production plants overseas, like taiwan or china or wherever they decide to set up a plant...

but it's possible in some cases they are made around the same time frame, since they may have active productions plants in different places at the same time, e.g. saturn consoles were being made in different countries concurrently.

I think there is a definite answer.   Maybe the lot number on the back can be used to determine which is earlier just like Sega consoles.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:01 AM, RH said:

Ok, dumb question, but are early power adapters the same as older NES power adapters?

SNES and NES power adapters are incompatible. SNES plug has a pin in the center. NES does not have a pin. Also, NES use more amps, at 1.2a vs 0.85a used in SNES.

No, if serials are like those of Sega consoles, they cannot be used to determine which one is earlier. Sega consoles, I know the Saturn for sure, have serials that start at zero for different batches and factories, so you can end up with the same or a very similar serial that is far apart in time and space, even for completely different models, like an early grey and a later white Saturn.

No idea about power supply serials for Nintendo NES/SNES though. Hopefully they used continous numbering, but those tend to be factory-specific, so don't count on it too much.

Best and only way to really confirm, is to open both power supplies and find date tags on the PCB and components.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

No, if serials are like those of Sega consoles, they cannot be used to determine which one is earlier.

Sega Genesis serials use the first number or one- / two-letter sequence to indicate factory. The following number indicates year of manufacture, starting with 9 for 89, followed by 0 for 90, 1 for 1991, etc.. Numbers following indicate lot number and number in lot (I can't remember the syntax for lot number right now).

An example is 440118712, indicating factory 4 (Malaysia) made in 1994.

I'll check the insides like you suggested. Maybe there's some telling info inside. My hunch is the craggy texture model was released first in those Super Mario World bundles since my Kirby Superstar bundle has a smooth adapter, though I'm not the original owner.

Just FYI and sorry for being out of topic ,the best list for Saturn serials is here

http://evilboris.sonic-cult.net/saturn/

and to know all about what the serial means, here

http://nannanseisaturn.web.fc2.com/segasaturn/

yeah that's what i would do, open them and check the dates printed. if you have the right screwdriver head (i think you need a hollow square head).