IGNORED

Music Debate #127: In Flames

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

I'll preface my rating by saying I'm not a metal snob and I like a wide range of metal genres (and other genres).

Now having said that, I was a big fan of them growing up and their early albums. Then they decided they wanted to change direction and it sounds shit.

I get that bands need to evolve but they evolved in the wrong direction imo. They moved away from their core audience way too much.

I think a good example of evolving is DT or Ghost, they have tried different things but still remained true to the core audience.

I gave them a 5 because their early albums are fantastic. After Clayman it just slowly goes downhill.

Also, if this was a metal forum we'd be going for 10+ pages debating In Flames haha. 

Oh man, I had no idea they were even still around! They've never really been my cup of tea, though I acknowledge they were ambitious in their sound by adding a lot of melodies and avoiding the cookie cutter death metal sound of the day the Florida bands were known for. After listening to their newer stuff you posted, it's a real throwback sound to the wave of Screamo bands that popped up in the early 2000s like Alexisonfire, Atreyu, and Thursday. Strange how the new stuff seems so old. Of course, Screamo is the sworn enemy of metalheads, so it doesn't surprise me how controversial they are in metal circles these days.

Their mid era stuff I feel really pulled together. I had Come Clarity back in the day, but that album never really grabbed me and they have been mostly an afterthought since.  While they may be pioneers of the melodic extreme music I tend to listen to these days, as a rating I have to cap them off at 6/10.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...