IGNORED

Goldin Auctions Next video game auction Starting November 20th! Referral program active for future auctions.

Domuhnator

29 minutes ago, RETRO said:

OK, though I have never paid four figures for a sealed-and-graded game and my collection could easily be sold at Goldin.

I have many, many premium games—and they did not cost $1,000. I get that you want to goose your revenue but don't tell sealed-and-graded retro game collectors that premium games always cost over $1,000. They don't.

That minimum of course works—is fine—for games that you expect will go for $5,000 or over, but you are selling games that on other auction sites are going for $700 to $900 and you're doing so with a $1,000 minimum, which is insulting to those of us who research carefully before spending money on anything.

I'm giving you free advice in telling you that you are cutting down on your potential audience and fan club and consumer base by not having a sub-section of games with either no minimum or a $500 minimum.

If Heritage Auctions can be a premium auction house with no minimums, I think that Goldin—which has conducted all of *one* video game auction ever—can manage a sub-section of your catalog with $500 mins. Otherwise it looks like you are setting as a *floor* for certain games a price that is above their value. Not a good look for a business that relies on goodwill among a community that shares information fluidly.

But in any case, it's good to know that Goldin thinks Heritage—which has no mins—*isn't* a premium auction house.

There is a chance it changes in the future with us, but as of right now in auction setting its a $1000 minimum. Its actually more for you than us. We don't make any money on items that we don't sell. Its not like we don't want to generate more business. But to be honest our current bidder base does not respond well to items under $1000 and they tend to undersell when we have tried them. If our bidder base changes and more bidders come in who will respond well to items in the $200-$500 range I expect that will change. 

We never said that Heritage is not a premium auction house. But they do sell a-lot of non premium or cheeper items. 

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Domuhnator said:

There is a chance it changes in the future with us, but as of right now in auction setting its a $1000 minimum. Its actually more for you than us. We don't make any money on items that we don't sell. Its not like we don't want to generate more business. But to be honest our current bidder base does not respond well to items under $1000 and they tend to undersell when we have tried them. If our bidder base changes and more bidders come in who will respond well to items in the $200-$500 range I expect that will change. 

We never said that Heritage is not a premium auction house. But they do sell a-lot of non premium or cheeper items. 

I can tell you that the majority of the people on this site would be more interested in the sub-1k range. Little bit of free datamining for you. There's a couple whales here for sure, but they'd likely be caught in the other nets I assume you're casting as well.

7 hours ago, Jared_Goldinauctions said:

@OptOut
I am here my friends. 
Working to try and make Goldin better for all. 
@Domuhnator is a legend and can help. 

This auction will be lower dollar and for the masses. All types of stuff in the sale - if you guys have any non-video game questions let me know. Otherwise Dom can certainly help with consignments/information/banter. 

Lower dollar and for the masses?!?!? That's me I think! 🤔

Maybe you can look at importing the previous auction results to the new website? I still have old links that work where I can see the results, but they are on the old site. Or maybe I'm the only one who cares about that stuff 🤣

I agree $500 is the better minimum bid setting. There would be more enticement for people to want to join, and then they can sell their other pricier games later on.

Just because you see games in the million dollar range, doesn’t mean everything has to be a minimum of 4 figures. Same goes with any collectible, coins, art, comics etc.

• Agree 1

You guys are crazy! Personally I never leave the house with LESS than a thousand dollars in chump-change sticking up out my back pocket! 🙄

I, for one, am glad that the writhing masses of game collectors FINALLY have access to the game collecting hobby, for the first time in history, at the LOW LOW price of MERELY a thousand fuggin dollars per game!!!

THANK YOU Goldin Auctions, for finally standing up for us common folk and our MEASLY thousand dollar per game video game budgets! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Guess it depends on your perspective... like the 9.8 A++ Emerald and 9.8 A+ security strip GoW sold super cheap IMO and the buyer can probably flip those straight to HA and double their money.

So, if you are a potato flipper, then Goldin Auctions is a good place to bid, right?? Like, if your whole thing is buying hot potatoes and flipping them on to others for profit, before they burn your hands, then this is the place to buy the potatoes?

For people actually interested in VIDEO GAMES however, what's in it for us? 🧐 

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

So, if you are a potato flipper, then Goldin Auctions is a good place to bid, right?? Like, if your whole thing is buying hot potatoes and flipping them on to others for profit, before they burn your hands, then this is the place to buy the potatoes?

Lmao... I guess that's one way of putting it 🤣

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

At this point, until Goldin gets off its golden toilet—I mean seriously, talking about its philosophy toward a sealed and graded video game market it entered so recently I have undigested food in my large intestine older than its market presence—it's exclusively for suckers who overpay for games and do so exclusively with the intention of finding other suckers who'll overpay for them. It's a creepy new-money circle-jerk, and the only bright side is that the ultimate suckers are faceless multimillionaires overseas who don't know they've been had. If Heritage doesn't need minimums, neither does Goldin—and anyone at Goldin who thinks games will go unsold over a $500 minimum needs to find another line of work, maybe selling uninflated balloons at a state fair.

I'll stick to the markets for serious people who do research before they buy something.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gloves said:

I can tell you that the majority of the people on this site would be more interested in the sub-1k range. Little bit of free datamining for you. There's a couple whales here for sure, but they'd likely be caught in the other nets I assume you're casting as well.

Just because we have a $1000 min doesn't mean that everything always hits that. We'll give some borderline or new stuff a shot from time to time and sometimes lower prices items come in with bigger consignments. I would recommend for everyone to look though the auction when it goes live and assign your own values to lots. You and everyone else bidding decide where the final value is. We just procure the items for your consideration. 

12 hours ago, Domuhnator said:

Just because we have a $1000 min doesn't mean that everything always hits that. We'll give some borderline or new stuff a shot from time to time and sometimes lower prices items come in with bigger consignments. I would recommend for everyone to look though the auction when it goes live and assign your own values to lots. You and everyone else bidding decide where the final value is. We just procure the items for your consideration. 

I'm a little confused from your posts on this thread. Are you saying that Goldin has a $1000 minimum lot value (but that the bidding doesn't necessarily open at $1000), or a minimum $1000 starting bid for each lot? Those are two very different things. 

• Agree 1

I have a feeling that Goldin Auctions is looking for SELLERS here on VGS, not buyers... The OP said as much in his original post, they are looking for consigners and offering commission for people to act as go-betweens.

Pretty smart, actually, seeing as we all know what side our bread is buttered over here, and, of course, this is where the Million Dollar Mario 64 TM came from. I think they also realise from the overall tone of the responses from members here that we're generally not dumb enough to fall for all the hype market bullshit and buy in to these over-inflated prices.

Anyway, @Domuhnator If you're looking to auction any Sealed Japanese Dreamcast games anytime soon hit me up bro, I'll hook you up! 😉

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I have a feeling that Goldin Auctions is looking for SELLERS here on VGS, not buyers... The OP said as much in his original post, they are looking for consigners and offering commission for people to act as go-betweens.

Pretty smart, actually, seeing as we all know what side our bread is buttered over here, and, of course, this is where the Million Dollar Mario 64 TM came from. I think they also realise from the overall tone of the responses from members here that we're generally not dumb enough to fall for all the hype market bullshit and buy in to these over-inflated prices.

Anyway, @Domuhnator If you're looking to auction any Sealed Japanese Dreamcast games anytime soon hit me up bro, I'll hook you up! 😉

I was looking to buy stuff on the cheap from here if their last auction is any indication 😔

At least the sports cards collectors are probably not going after the same games that I am 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

I was looking to buy stuff on the cheap from here if their last auction is any indication 😔

At least the sports cards collectors are probably not going after the same games that I am 🤣

Hey, I mean you obviously know what you want, and you are willing to spend to get it, more power to you! It seems as though you are more buying for your own collection right, rather than just seeking to flip stuff?

I can tell from the types of items you have shown on here that you are a serious collector with a deep knowledge of the stuff you're into, and you're not some dude dropping 80 grand on a pokemon game because CHAZIRAD?!!!111!!!! 😄

Then again, as I am sure you are aware, you are in a very rarefied group of VGS'ers who actually DOES participate in the graded collecting scene, I'm sure Goldin isn't catching TOO many fish in this pool... This is more like their bait shop, lol! 🤣

On 11/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, OptOut said:

You guys are crazy! Personally I never leave the house with LESS than a thousand dollars in chump-change sticking up out my back pocket! 🙄

I, for one, am glad that the writhing masses of game collectors FINALLY have access to the game collecting hobby, for the first time in history, at the LOW LOW price of MERELY a thousand fuggin dollars per game!!!

THANK YOU Goldin Auctions, for finally standing up for us common folk and our MEASLY thousand dollar per game video game budgets! 😂

Honestly you could aim that sarcasm at wata and not be far off 😉 

On 11/9/2021 at 11:55 AM, RETRO said:

OK, though I have never paid four figures for a sealed-and-graded game and my collection could easily be sold at Goldin.

I have many, many premium games—and they did not cost $1,000. I get that you want to goose your revenue but don't tell sealed-and-graded retro game collectors that premium games always cost over $1,000. They don't.

That minimum of course works—is fine—for games that you expect will go for $5,000 or over, but you are selling games that on other auction sites are going for $700 to $900 and you're doing so with a $1,000 minimum, which is insulting to those of us who research carefully before spending money on anything.

I'm giving you free advice in telling you that you are cutting down on your potential audience and fan club and consumer base by not having a sub-section of games with either no minimum or a $500 minimum.

If Heritage Auctions can be a premium auction house with no minimums, I think that Goldin—which has conducted all of *one* video game auction ever—can manage a sub-section of your catalog with $500 mins. Otherwise it looks like you are setting as a *floor* for certain games a price that is above their value. Not a good look for a business that relies on goodwill among a community that shares information fluidly.

But in any case, it's good to know that Goldin thinks Heritage—which has no mins—*isn't* a premium auction house.

Not so hot take - “high end” game auctions aren’t for VGS members (as buyers).

They’re looking for consignments because many of us have pricey games that we’ve had since before the prices boomed and might be looking to cash out on, hence making goldin a fat wad.

i have games I bought for $80 about 2 years ago that now cost $3000 because it’s in a wata holder at 9.6 A+ or better. Goldin knows this and would very much like to extract that wealth asap.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

I mean, depending on how you look at it I AM targeting that sarcasm at WATA... Goldin Auctions and WATA are both owned by Collector's Universe, they're all in the same sordid bed together! 😅

For a minute, I forgot about the connections! I miss that sweet bliss. 

• Sad 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:51 PM, tidaldreams said:

Guess it depends on your perspective... like the 9.8 A++ Emerald and 9.8 A+ security strip GoW sold super cheap IMO and the buyer can probably flip those straight to HA and double their money.

Dunno about GoW, but not necessarily on the Emerald. That game's been cooling off for like seven months at this point, as people seem to be figuring out it's not rare. You can't take the HA prices from early this year as a reliable comp at this point, I don't think. I hadn't actually spotted this before, but there's a hell of a comparison for that game on HA - a 9.6/A+ sold for $31.2k in July...then another 9.6/A+ sold for $6,600 in the October sig. Yikes. So you can't necessarily look at the $72k for 9.8/A++ in July and say another 9.8/A++ would do close to that if they sold one now.

• Wow! 1

41 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Dunno about GoW, but not necessarily on the Emerald. That game's been cooling off for like seven months at this point, as people seem to be figuring out it's not rare. You can't take the HA prices from early this year as a reliable comp at this point, I don't think. I hadn't actually spotted this before, but there's a hell of a comparison for that game on HA - a 9.6/A+ sold for $31.2k in July...then another 9.6/A+ sold for $6,600 in the October sig. Yikes. So you can't necessarily look at the $72k for 9.8/A++ in July and say another 9.8/A++ would do close to that if they sold one now.

Bank balance of the dude who bought the 72k Emerald...

Pokemon Emerald GIF by Pokémon

Explode Nuclear Bomb GIF by Star Wars

🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tetris said:

I'm a little confused from your posts on this thread. Are you saying that Goldin has a $1000 minimum lot value (but that the bidding doesn't necessarily open at $1000), or a minimum $1000 starting bid for each lot? Those are two very different things. 

Our company policy is not to accept single items we feel will not hit $1000. There are alway exceptions and we get large collections from time to time with lower valued items but its a general rule. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Domuhnator said:

Our company policy is not to accept single items we feel will not hit $1000. There are alway exceptions and we get large collections from time to time with lower valued items but its a general rule. 

I don't mean to push, but that doesn't answer my question. It sounds like what you're saying here is that the starting bid is not $1000; you only have a minimum estimated value of $1000. So in your upcoming auction that starts in another couple of weeks, will lots be starting at $1000 and up, or below that (but each will have an estimated value of $1000 or more)? Estimates and starting bids are two distinct things. 

2 hours ago, Tetris said:

I don't mean to push, but that doesn't answer my question. It sounds like what you're saying here is that the starting bid is not $1000; you only have a minimum estimated value of $1000. So in your upcoming auction that starts in another couple of weeks, will lots be starting at $1000 and up, or below that (but each will have an estimated value of $1000 or more)? Estimates and starting bids are two distinct things. 

Correct, Nothing will start at $1000. It's just our estimated value. But like I said there is going to be a-lot of stuff that im sure wont hit that mark. We have a lot of new products and unproven items in auction.