IGNORED

Movie Debate #95: The Shawshank Redemption

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Does anyone truly dislike this movie?

Seems to be like the most universally likeable movie in the world, even though it's probably not many people's favourite.

Even though I gave it a 6 (based off of the meaning of a 6 for this rating), this movie is otherwise no doubt a 9.5-10 in film rankings. It's certainly the Citizan Kane of it's era and from my opinion I'd say it's a better film than Kane.

Gloves, you joked me about imagining living in a world where you haven't seen The Thing when I mentioned that over in werewolf. Lol, I could honestly say the same about this film. If you are going to watch any film from the 90s, this has to be on the very, very short list.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

Even though I gave it a 6 (based off of the meaning of a 6 for this rating), this movie is otherwise no doubt a 9.5-10 in film rankings. It's certainly the Citizan Kane of it's era and from my opinion I'd say it's a better film than Kane.

wut

Do I need to rewrite the 6 description?

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

wut

Do I need to rewrite the 6 description?

I guess, maybe.  That's how I feel.  I will say the description of 7 and 6 may need to be swapped, but it's a bit relative.  This isn't the type of film I'm always interested in watching, nor will I want to watch it much.  However, could I see myself watching it once every 5-10 years if I caught it on TV or maybe being in a mood to choose to rewatch it again?  Absolutely.

This is just one of those films that to me personally, I can 100% see why it's good and worth a viewing and appreciating.  However, it's not my cup-o-tea when it comes to movies I actually care to watch many times.  It's hard to find that balance, because light hearted stuff is much easier to rewatch, however, some heavier and more serious stuff does have the option to be the more "favorite" movies on my digital shelf, but that doesn't mean I want to watch it much.  It's hard to explain.

Shawshank isn't "hard to watch". It's just not classical "entertainment", and when I watch a movie, at this point in my life 95% of my time I just want something fluffy and entertaining whether it's a comedy, a cartoon with my kids, a romance film with my wife or WWE.  Shawshank Redemption is an excellent and noteworthy film, but not a personal favorite and also doesn't fit into any of those former catagories.

5 minutes ago, G-type said:

7 is "Very good"

6 is "Pretty Good"

I think the meanings are clear.

Yes, but there are also further descriptors to describe the intent:

• 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
  • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
That bolded description exactly describes how I feel about Shawshank Redemption.  But again, it's not apples to apples to compare a movie with the mood and tone of Shawshank to a movie like Dumb and Dumber, which is another one I won't go out of my way to see, but would definitely stop to watch if it was on TV, but my reasons for feeling this way for both films are quite different.

Shawshank is a solid 9 in my book in ranking how "classic" it is and is good as an important film you should watch.  Regarding personal tastes and long term enjoyment, it's a 6-7.  It's a different type of ranking and I feel that's the spirit of all of Reed's ranking posts.
Edited by RH

Editorials Team · Posted
46 minutes ago, Californication said:

I automatically remove one point in movies where men/boys get raped. Sleepers too much rape -2, The Hustler subtle rape -.5, Freddy Krueger - very subtle 0, Doubt/Spotlight also get a pass for pointing out how rapey the catholic church is. 

How many points if a woman gets raped?

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Californication said:

I automatically remove one point in movies where men/boys get raped. Sleepers too much rape -2, The Hustler subtle rape -.5, Freddy Krueger - very subtle 0, Doubt/Spotlight also get a pass for pointing out how rapey the catholic church is. 

Wait... what.... a man got raped in The Huslter?  I must have missed that scene I guess.  Another great flick BTW.  Oh and the sequel The Color of Money.  Maybe some future poll movies here.