IGNORED

New term for the new breed of collectors?

fcgamer

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

fcgamer is in this thread........

Which is why I have the topic on blocked, even though it does not do much help, and will use my time thinking about (and appreciating) everything @GPX said to me in a different topic. As opposed to me saying anything other than this. 🍺

8 hours ago, CasualCart said:

As long as categorizing doesn’t equate to stereotyping, I don’t see what’s wrong with coining terms for different types of collector. 

In the retro-gaming hobby, we already categorize ourselves as gamers, collectors, homebrewers, etc. None of these labels are inherently demeaning, separative, or mutually exclusive unless someone misuses them based on pre-existing biases. So I don’t see why subcategories would be much different, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...

In skateboarding, we love subcategories. Tech skaters, stair skaters, freestylers, etc. It’s a reflection of the hobby’s broadness, and it allows people to hone in on their particular areas of interest and branch out into multiple others.

-CasualCart

Had no idea about the skateboarding part. Cool. 

• Like 1

The  “new breed of collectors” are not simply one group of people though. From what I can see there are possibly a few intermixed with “the new breed”:

- nostalgia collector

- hobbyist collecting with a casual spend 

- “trying to get along with others” collector

- the scammers

- the unethicals/illegals

Maybe there’s more..

I don’t really see the new crop of collectors as being the concern, but it’s the unethical group (lies, deceitful) that can ruin the hobby for others. This goes for any type of collecting, I would imagine, whether new breed, old breed, or extinct breed..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Nope, I'm not moving the goal posts.

I stated my rationale, it was just one term I thought of that would be neutral, if someone has a better choice than please share it.

I think at this point I'm going to accept that we're not going to agree on this topic. I stand by what I've said.  

• Like 1

Wait, are people actually trying to get offended by sub categories of types of collectors? I mean, I don't see a huge purpose for categorizing, but holy shit, we're not talking about race, or sex, or demographic here... It's VIDEO GAME COLLECTING... 

"You can't fit me in a box, bro, I'm multifaceted af..."

I get the intent and I think because it's fcgamer this is being blown out of proportion.  I mean look at that one post at the top of this default page set acting as the answer to the question no one was asking.  Is the blocking function of the site down I guess, maybe that's the answer.

The fact is there are sets and subsets of people taking interest, there always were.  But in more recent times (last decade) and most recently in this stretch about two years now, the worst of the worst elements have been empowered so breaking anything down into groups can rile people up.  Some of these newbies are utter poison whatever their intent, either to line their pockets, run a scam or investment scheme, or those who have no will to resist and pay the trickle down dumb values that empower price stiffing on people whatever it is (loose, a piece of paper, partly complete, etc.)

• Agree 1

My personal view is that it’s good to distinguish the types of games, whether they be original, repros, official reprints, pirates, etc.

Its also good to know if someone’s a gamer or a collector. But I don’t think it’s necessary to get much more detailed than that though. 

I am personally a mostly original collector, like 99%. I don’t have anything against repros, just can’t justify spending money on them when there’s so many originals that I still have on my to-get list and prices continue to climb.

I do have some repros like the Star Ocean translation from retrousb. While I do not support 1:1 counterfeits, I do have a few that were either given to me or came as part of a package deal.. so they are in my collection, but I am not “collecting them”

I don’t have it in me to toss them in the trash, but also don’t like these things to circulate so I’m not going to give them to anyone, so they kinda just sit there.

Nuances like this, in whether someone has bootlegs, counterfeits, or whatever you call them in their collection, coupled with how they feel about them, whether they intend get more and what their percentage mix of original vs repro just make it too difficult to slap a label onto a collector.

Edited by phart010

15 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Wait, are people actually trying to get offended by sub categories of types of collectors? I mean, I don't see a huge purpose for categorizing, but holy shit, we're not talking about race, or sex, or demographic here... It's VIDEO GAME COLLECTING... 

"You can't fit me in a box, bro, I'm multifaceted af..."

I think it's more because of the timing of this thread being posted and the discussion in another thread.  This thread had no reason to exist except to fan flames.  Even waiting a week or something might've toned that perception down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I think it's more because of the timing of this thread being posted and the discussion in another thread.  This thread had no reason to exist except to fan flames.  Even waiting a week or something might've toned that perception down.

Yeah, I did see that thread. That makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 7:48 PM, Gloves said:

Humans are animals. 

I used this in a job interview once when asked "If you could be any animal, what would you be?" ... they said I broke the question. I got the job though.

But, yeah, labels kinda suck in general because people make assumptions based on them. Which just like in politics, religion, or any hobby, I'd rather talk about individual issues than try to paint with a broad, divisive brush.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Alder said:

I used this in a job interview once when asked "If you could be any animal, what would you be?" ... they said I broke the question. I got the job though.

But, yeah, labels kinda suck in general because people make assumptions based on them. Which just like in politics, religion, or any hobby, I'd rather talk about individual issues than try to paint with a broad, divisive brush.

"My fursona is none of your business!"

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, fcgamer said:

I was thinking we could divide those interested in games into the following groups:

Developers - those interested in the inner workings

Collectors - those who try to track down original games

Investors - those in it for the money, i.e. the watawtfbbqsealed crowd

Gamers - those who actually focus on playing the games

Amassers - new term for those that assemble large sets of modern fakes, i.e the new breed of collectors

Anything, including those interested in video games, can be categorized. These categories definitely feel like they cover the  broad strokes of the hobby. Though I haven't seen too many amassers. Most folks I know would rather have the real thing in their hand rather than a fake.

I've always had a certain thought about various types of collectors but I tended to keep it to myself and just do my thing, which I've found in hindsight served me very well. With that being said, I have been able to gel better with older collectors versus say, ones that have cropped up over the last year or so. A lot of new collectors think they are experts in the field and I can't tell you how many times I've been told 'I'll never get anywhere' in this, meanwhile they have no idea I have a museum hide out.

The false smugness among the new collectors is usually what outs them as problematic, unfortunately, they create a very real inflation issue for people who actually had genuine interest in this stuff, it's certainly interesting if not unfortunate to see. All generations of collectors have their weak and strong sorts, so maybe this new breed is just being overrun by the loudmouth new peeps.

Might be a bit outside of the scope of this topic though, just felt like a mini rant due to some recent arguments 😛

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@goldenpp72 Damn outside of being crapped on some by some know nothing newbie who thinks we are all stupid and got nowhere, I can relate otherwise.  Their idea of get anywhere is nothing like what get anywhere has meant since the 1990s.  They're not right, outside of being short term investors looking to make a buck...if they get out that is at the right moment.  Totally smug to cover the total arrogance and lack of care in the damage they're causing because they're too stupid to get it.  Your rant is on point, don't feel bad about heaping on with the rest who are already fed up and voicing it.

• Agree 1

Being confidently incorrect about things is the first step towards enlightenment in anything in life worth having.

Once someone realizes they’re incorrect about something it’s up to them to either back away, or work on improving themselves.

Looking at things I’ve posted even just a few months ago makes me realize that I’m constantly growing in the hobby.

I don’t judge anyone because they think that a sealed Super Mario Bros. deserves to be $1,000,000 the same way I don’t judge anyone who says it deserves to be $60. I did recently find my limit on the number though ($1billion) but even then there’s still civility.

I don’t really care what people do with their stuff and as I said before, I don’t categorize people anymore. (And I’m an adamant categorization guy when it comes to documenting stuff!)

If someone wants to go for a fullset without Stadium Events, and say it’s complete…then more power to them. More people in the hobby is more people to chat with about MY interest.

If someone wants to use the hobby to make a quick buck, then so be it. They’re going to do it anyway, might as well try to make a friend.

One thing I noticed after speaking 1:1 with a lot of ultra high end guys is that even the most spectacular of speculators in the hobby have a level of love or affinity for the games. they’re just novice starry eyed collectors with a lot of money in a field full of expert collectors who are set in their ways…but slowly the “new breed” will become expert collectors with a lot of money if they hang out long enough….and eventually They’ll dictate the hobbies standards once they push into that “expert” stage.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, ThePhleo said:

One thing I noticed after speaking 1:1 with a lot of ultra high end guys is that even the most spectacular of speculators in the hobby have a level of love or affinity for the games. they’re just novice starry eyed collectors with a lot of money in a field full of expert collectors who are set in their ways…but slowly the “new breed” will become expert collectors with a lot of money if they hang out long enough….and eventually They’ll dictate the hobbies standards once they push into that “expert” stage.

I can think of one very prominent example of this.  He's a long-time respected community member who started out as a moneybags buying up everything he could get his hands on.  Not naming names, pretty sure the old timers know who I'm talking about and for the rest it's really irrelevant anyway, as his knowledge and love of the game have earned him the respect of the community, myself included.  But yeah, just because someone is new to the scene and are dropping Benjamins like a boss doesn't mean they aren't in it for the long haul, nor does it mean they have nothing to contribute to the hobby as a whole.  It's part of the reason I feel that labelling people in the hobby is counter-productive at best, and flat out detrimental to the community at worst.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think one of the main reasons why that kind of behaviour turns people off is because they can afford to overpay in their excitement and drive up the price of something that others who are more frugal now cant.  Someone waiting for the right time to find a copy of game X for a 100 and someone swoops in and buys it for 165.  Now future copies will start at that, or higher, and then others hoping not to get priced out, buy it at that price before it goes higher.  Its an extreme example.  Way easier to accidentally drive the price up than to bring it down.  Now its harder for the frugal person to get that game at what they wanted to spend.

• Agree 2