IGNORED

Small or Stretched?

fcgamer

How do you prefer your GBA games?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your GBA games?

• Small
    • Stretched

I got some GBA games recently, was playing them on my AV GBA.

Some of them actually seem like they'd be worth playing outside of the handheld sphere, haha. 

That leads to the question, do you prefer a stretched screen that's larger, or a smaller screen in correct proportion?

Since I'm playing on a TV, I honestly think I prefer stretched, especially if there's text, otherwise it's just too small to be any fun.

But on a GBA screen I generally went small yet in proportion.

I'm not sure if I understand the question.  If I have to pick between those two, I would pick a smaller screen because I would never want to view any video game, movie or TV show stretched.  But obviously the best option is a larger screen using the same aspect ratio of the original.  

• Like 1

If you have a really, really good scaling algorithm and filter, I can deal with some stretching, but in general I don't like it.  On a GBA playing GB/GBC game, that's a negative Ghost Rider.

Still, it'd be interesting to see a scaled GB game on a Game Cube player, pumped through something like a RetroTink and then stretched to fill the screen.  It'd hurt my eyes, but I'd still find it amusing.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I think it's just GB/GBC games, but as they aren't designed for a GBA, when played, you can either have them at a smaller ratio with blank space around it, or stretched to fill the whole length of the screen.

Now I get what you are asking.  My answer still stands.  

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I think it's just GB/GBC games, but as they aren't designed for a GBA, when played, you can either have them at a smaller ratio with blank space around it, or stretched to fill the whole length of the screen.

You should update the topic title to reflect this:

How do you prefer GB/GBC games on the GBA - Stretched or original aspect ratio?

Calling it small is a bit misleading. Yes, it's comparatively smaller than a stretched image, but it's not small per se. It's the intended resolution/size.

There is also a case for bigger images without stretching, via either upscaling or line multiplying. That can be fantastic, if done correctly.

Graphics Team · Posted

I used to be an aspect-ratio purist, but after a few clone-console experiences with stretched images, I realized that it hardly affects my enjoyment of a game (visually or interactively).
The brain adapts so fast that you can easily forget the display proportions were ever incorrect to begin with.

-CasualCart

Damn I feel isolated. 😄

Kind of what @CasualCart there said 4 hours ago from my post, but I don't give a damn really.  I don't get upset, self righteous or butt hurt over going wide screen on the visuals, nor do I get shitty on others who do like some Resolution Master Race loser either.  Back when the GBA came out I played it both ways,  more so I would hit the top button and widen it because I didn't like the wasted view space, but I also liked things being a bit more blown up too.  The GBA width (or even a standard LCD TV either) isn't so pulled wide as a PC LCD is for some years now, sure it's stretched a little but it's not like double wide or worse where it's all ripped out and chubby.  I've never been a fan of pillarboxing either.  So whether it's the GBA on here, on a GB Player GC with my GC2HDMI hookup, when I had that dumpy Retron 5, or even a SuperNT/HD NES kit going on, I can play either way, kind of depends on a mix of mood and laziness.

I tend to just switch between as it really doesn't matter, doesn't ruin the experience, doesn't make hit reaction change in the slightest, it just is what it is.

Both, I guess. When playing Game Boy games on the GameCube via the Game Boy Player, my TV is set to widescreen so the image is stretched but I do not use the Game Boy Player's zooming feature. Also, when playing original Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, I do not press L to stretch the image to fill the GBA screen. I have the GameCube's Component cable and run the Game Boy Player in Progressive Scan, and also have the screen filter set to sharp. It looks decent: 

gbpprogressivescan.jpg.6c5b4929be9c62745cd9ba51f5508fc4.jpg

megamanvgbpscreen.jpg.613d8dffcf539f6746d45318f76f3adf.jpg

marioandluigigbpscreen.jpg.998353770b7f909a4ce3b6bfaf727750.jpg

On a side note, some GBA games sound really good with a Sound Bar and Subwoofer. Some of the music in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga has heavy bass.

Edited by MegaMan52